Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miles Long

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
gankplank has issues. I agree. We will psuedorandom him at some point.
I certainly hope that includes removing his ability to deny. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you guys promise LoL would not have denying?

Sunwise

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krulewicz View Post
then wtf is black shield still doing in this game
In precisely what manner does Black Shield diminish the effectiveness of any of Morgana's other spells? As far as I'm aware, you can still DB, Soil, and ult while under the effects of your own Black Shield, and none of your teammates' abilities are negatively impacted by having a Black Shield on them.

I get it. You're whining "nerf Black Shield", just like all the other sheep. But next time you want to pick a target, try reading the next few lines of what you're quoting before you decide "herp derp! this red post is totally supporting my point!", because it's not. In fact, Zileas's Anti-Combo is exactly the opposite of what you're talking about.

Get your facts straight, troll.

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
gankplank has issues. I agree. We will psuedorandom him at some point.
what does Psuedorandom mean?

Like what you did with Yi's double strike?

Lord GiantR

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2010

bump

Ventris

10-17-2010

all good info!

VortexMagus

10-17-2010

Big game design anti-pattern: punishing an entire team for a single guy leaving or d/cing. Losing due to factors completely out of your control sucks.

One of the most discouraging parts of the game, in my opinion. Much more so than overpowered or underpowerd abilities.

SlammerPanda

10-17-2010

any chance on naga siren ult coming here?

would be equally "fun" and "unfun" like you want your ideas.

also: i slightly disagree on the topic of manaburn. sure it's a total ***** to whoever's getting drained (quit giggling), but at the same time it's not just "slightly fun" to the person who's draining them...you feel really good (*nudge nudge *wink wink) from draining them, and it does have a clutch element when you know they're about to unload on you (again, quit giggling) and you manage to drain them right before they cast that piece of **** stun that's gonna pwn the faces off your team.

SonicTheHedgedawg

10-17-2010

Does "Revive" fit in here somewhere as a false choice?

joemamallama

10-17-2010

should of voted you as my fav riot guy... sos

Tyrald Grimnod

10-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NogiWonsza View Post
it can be understood in two different ways, its not specified that the abilities are on one character - its only said that one of the abilities you have affects another, so u could be playing morgana and having black shield and annoying ever1 on the other team by rendering their abilities useless... and black shield can certainly be considered an anti-combo, come on, it negates every CC possible, including summoner spells which are completely blocked by it (u cant cast exhaust on shielded target), as well as DoT ults, it has insane 1:1 ap ratio and often can totally mess up a burst casters combo
I'll get downvoted even more, but...
Please, take a look at examples that Zilean posted in aforementioned paragraph.
Quote:
- Giving a character a 'break-on-damage' CC with a DOT (yes, warlocks have this, but they tuned it to make it not anti-combo much at all)
- With Warriors in WoW -- they need to get rage by taking damage so that they can use abilities and gain threat -- but parry and dodge, which are key to staying alive, make them lose out on critical early fight rage. So, by gearing as a better tank, you become a worse tank in another dimension -- anti combo!
- With old warrior talent trees in WoW, revenge would give you a stun -- but stunned enemies cannot hit you and cause rage gain... So this talent actually reduced your tanking capability a lot in some sense! Anti-combo!
Here is where Zileas points out incohesivities of abilities of single characters. While he didn't specify that by any word, I took it for granted that he meant it that way. In my opinion countering enemy's abilities isn't a bad design. It is just a tool you use. However, characters that can't use their skills at the same time are just unusable (thus having no purpose in game that lets them exist). And that is worse than fun spoiled by someone's counter.

Also, if anyone dares to think Black Shield is bad because it counters something, cover your eyes: Mercury Treads, Burning Agony, Banshee's Veil, Cleanse, Ragnarok.