These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shaabanglyy

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
I think it's being FAR too lenient to be having so many posts by Riot saying "well you should compromise and bla bla" when you're trying to compromise with people who will every time they're last pick just say "I have no idea how to play support if I play support I'll play annie because I Can't support." At a certain point you have to say "this is a draft, if you wanted to BS around there are other queues for that, this is malicious bannable behavior."

Instead of the current trend of Riot posts which tell us to work with these people. Because these people read the riot posts and say "he's right, I'm entitled to pick what I want!"
The problem is really just a simple matter of everyone WANTS a support on their team, but no one of those people think they should ever have to PLAY the support. Entitlement.

Owlnoxus

02-25-2013

He wont admit his IGN has RIOT on it.

Of course all his games have cordial people on his team.

You think I'm going to try and rob a Doughnut shop?

Riesgraf

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatcat09 View Post
WRONG System design did.

There is no role switching in LoL there is no duel speccing because once you pick a character you have to dedicate to being that role.
I think Griftrix just got hammered. Actually, I'd say that there is dual spec-ing of sorts in LoL, sorta like how Varus can be played both AD and AP. Sure, you can play Varus as AP but does that mean your teammates would take kindly to you playing AP Varus? $10 say they'll start *****ing and screaming "omg gg noob surr in 20!!".

In WoW, classes with vastly different specs (druid, paladin, shaman for example) can opt to switch into their different roles (tank, healer, DPS) without people screaming at them for not playing their class the way the screamers think they should.

Communication and flexibility? I think not. It's the mindset and temperament of your player base, and unfortunately the average LoL player tends to be immature kids who scream and throw tantrums when they don't get their way.

Balatee

02-25-2013

If somebody says "MID OR FEED", I don't want them on my team, at all.
My options are:

Give them mid, which I don't trust them with at all considering they threaten to feed.

Queue dodge, lose LP because they are an *******.

It's a lose-lose situation, and there is no way to punish them for putting 4 people in that situation. The only way to punish them is to take mid, lose the game and LP because they feed, and then report them. The problem is you can't report people in champ select.

Kyryck

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
YOU can make it happen, next time someone wants the same role as you.
Quit living in a fantasy world where everybody gets together and sings Kumbuyah all the time when people just 'find time to sit down and talk'.

I don't know how often you actually PLAY the game you're talking about, but this game has its fair proportion of absolutely toxic players. Players who won't accept 'talking' about roles or anything of the sort. All they do is spam that they 'called it' first and then if they don't get their way, they throw a hissy fit and feed or quit. That situation I just described is the reality of the situation.

All that is needed to solve this problem is Riot coming out and saying, "If you are lower in the pick order, you do not have the authority to call a role. You must choose what is left when the pick gets to you."

Then you can say something like, "If you are unhappy with that you can communicate with your team and explain that you can't do a specific role well and compromise with them."

There. Problem solved. See how that solution takes the owness off of the people that are the good ones and puts it on the people who have the issue about 'calling' picks in the first place?

I'll put this another way for you Griftrix, and I want you to tell me if you see the result as a 'successful business resolution' or not.

I used to play AD carry and mid a lot of the time. I enjoyed the role and was reasonably good at them both. I wasn't spectacular, but I was usually top or second to top pick at them when pick order mattered. Over the time that it has taken for the 'lane callers' to gain prominence, I've now been shifted to support and jungle. Two roles that I am okay at, but that I don't particularly enjoy a whole lot in comparison. Why did I switch? Because I was tired of having games trolled by people who demanded that because they 'called it' first, they got to play it. No matter their skill level.

I simply got tired of fighting with those people, trying to explain to them that I was good at those roles, that I had played support in my last five games and wanted to play a different role in the current game, etc, etc. Know what my 'talking' got me? What my 'compromise' got me in a vast, VAST majority of the cases? Relegated to support and jungle.

It got to the point where I simply didn't wish to play without friends on any longer. I am gradually overcoming that now, simply because I want to play. But I still play in spurts, where I play for a while and then stop for days or weeks at a time. I don't buy skins any longer, I don't purchase your items with real money any longer in comparison to what I once did. I trace all of this back to getting tired of being trolled and forced to play positions that I didn't want to be forced to play all the time thanks to people 'calling' their roles in 0.0000001 seconds after loading in.

Do you consider that a satisfied client compared to what is possible? Do you consider others forcing people out of the game because of their 'calling lanes' and refusing to budge a good situation? Because that is the reality of it in many cases. People refuse to budge on their calls because, in large part, they know that Riot simply doesn't care if they do or not. That Riot would rather the 'compromisers' get put into other roles than those they would like to play than deal with the problem.

Fisherman Fizz

02-25-2013

I'm going to try to make this as clear as possible:

If you yourself are willing to compromise with the rest of your team in champ select despite being one of the first picks, the odds of someone trolling in your games becomes significantly lower. That's obviously a good thing, nobody wants their game ruined because a guy who didn't get mid is now running revive/tp and killing themselves repeatedly to the other team's towers.

But, the thing is, if you're the one that chooses to compromise, you are the one that ends up giving up your preferred roles EVERY TIME. Sure, you don't get people feeding in your games, but if you communicate with your team, you don't get to play your best role often at all. You lose your potential to play your best because you're always giving up your mid/top/whatever role to the guy that shouts out "MID OR FEED" as last pick because you want to stop him from ruining your game. One result of this is that you wind up at a lower Elo than you might deserve. If you're a great mid player but you never actually get to play it, then you're going to lose more games than you deserve to. It also means that the players that troll and threaten to feed win. They always get their role. They get to say "mid or feed" and get away with it because the good people that do what's best for the team give them that role.

The most important part of this is: The people that refuse to communicate with their team are rewarded with this system because they always get what they want.

So my question to you at Riot is: Do you think the people that refuse to communicate DESERVE to get what they want every time?

Edit: Oh, and this isn't even counting the times when your role isn't even the one being contested and there's literally nothing you can do about it. There will be games where two people fight over a role you don't want and ignore you when you tell them to work it out, all because one guy called 1st and the other guy picks first.

Vakabiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

I will say this... I had a game last night where we talked it out and got roles down together as a team. We won that game and it was amazing to experience. In fact our mid actually said, we didn't fight over roles, we have a support that wards and calls mias and we are all working together as a team... are you sure this is ranked?

That experience was very, very, GOOD. The issue is that happens 1 out of about 15 games ~ 45 minutes out of 11.25 hours of time spent playing. I'm a Bronze 3 and I've got to my series and lost about 4-5 times now because of the experience being bad/rage/trolls.

Genericke

02-25-2013

Honestly, these issues could be avoided if tribunal showed chat during champion select. Add a report option: negative attitude - champion select. Were they being an uncompromising jerk? BAM it's there for all to see. Suddenly people HAVE to cooperate in champ select, because they're now suddenly accountable for their behaviour during this initial period of every game.

Unemployed Ninja

02-25-2013

Generally, when I get into a game I say something along the lines of

"I will play Any role, but this is where I stand. Mid, top, I am good at. I'm a meh jungler, and I'm bad at support, but I'm a worse ADC."

This usually works well, I very rarely get shoved outside of my main 2 comfort zones, but when I do, I don't argue. Most people are reasonable enough to see that at least letting me take one of the top 3 is a good idea.

Plan665

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Be polite, and help facilitate the communication. (sorry for picking here, I'm just joking but) removing your caps lock or shift key might help ^_^
Lets be fair, if two people are fighting over a role, you drew a bad team and it is going to be a tough road to getting it back on track. If one kid is screaming that they will only mid and someone else is screaming about pick order and that they get mid because it, there isnít a lot that Riot could do to fix that. Idiots will be idiots.