These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Showdwn

02-25-2013

Wait so if someone says they can't play support, Riot says not to force them into support?

Hold on just a minute, I'll delete my knowledge of how to play anything but Mid.

VanceStubbs

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenArk View Post
I was certain this was where Pen had came straight out and said "If you're the last pick, you are expected to fill."

He states that he views pick order as the right way in his personal opinion, which is enough for me in the long run.

As the Director of Player Experience, if he prefers pick order, I say, why don't we all?
That doesn't mean Pick order above all.

It basically means if you are last pick and a certain role has been long established, don't just go and call that role the last moment.

Nbur

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm bronze 2, and work out with other people who want to jungle the roles, and we have never had 2 junglers or someone being forced into something. Every time it's been a happy communication that led to a friendly game with better teamwork for it.
NO...

i was in bronze II after working my way (some how) out of bronze III ... i lasted 12 games before being dragged back into Bronze III after 4 out of the 12 had trolls, 3 were just out right good games with better team comps than ours, and the remainder (5) were won.

How is that at all fair.

Uiraya

02-25-2013

Quote:
It's not only about whether he's better at top than you. It's about if him at top and you somewhere else is in total a better combination than you top and him somewhere else. Looking at which of you is better top is the same problem as saying X champion is better top than jungle. It's not a question of are they better top or jungle, it's a question of if they are not top, is there a champion to fill top that is better at it, and also if they are jungle, are they better than some other champion there? It's opportunity cost. You have to think about what you are and aren't getting with the choice, not just 1 part of it.

Did I explain this well? I think I may have clouded it up.

And how are you supposed to figure this out while also managing bans and trades?

Remember that anything he says is lies in order to get what he wants.
~Uiru

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
10 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InertBlowfish View Post
Why do you have faith Grif?
Because I think we have a very good community overall. Remember, I'm playing games in bronze 2. The techniques I have described work well for me. I do not have Riot in my name, and have only been recognized in about 6, maybe 7 games.

MickeyTheFiasco

02-25-2013

If the meta was more enforced then we could just Q up for the role we want.

Simply Craig

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Fizz View Post
Ideally that would be awesome, but here's how that conversation actually looks in a real lobby:

P1: Mid is my best
P2: I mid
P1: Well what other roles are you good at?
P2: Idc I mid
P1: Is there anything else you can play
P2: No if I don't go mid then whoever does will feed so I mid.

And now, if you want to be a good person and compromise, you lose mid. And that happens again, and again, and again. There are always going to be people that refuse to cooperate and the result is that it punishes the nicer people who actually communicate because they end up giving their favorite roles away each time.

Does it give everyone a role they can at least play? Yes, but it means that if you want to communicate with your team you get punished by always being the one to give up their preferred roles. It rewards the "MID OR FEED" guy who gets his role every time now.
Sadly the end of this is true, but that is life, the jerks seem to get their ways, and you cannot compromise with them. They are illogical and ignorant.

Ryedan

Visual Designer

02-25-2013
11 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dčíty View Post
So basically the trolling in champ select is indefensible, in theory it makes sense to have a stance on the issue, but the real obstacle here is that there are structural changes in the way.

So, employ people to work on that. Isn't improving your game what you guys do?

Just wanted to add first good substantive answer by Riot on this issue btw, I'm happy to see the ostrich pull its head out of the sand.
It makes sense to come up with a comprehensive solution that allows both sides to be happy with a match. It's worth devoting resources to, but I can't come in and promise specific solutions all willy-nilly. It's a complex problem, not matter how many "silver bullet" solutions people can throw out.

All I can say is that we totally agree that it's a problem and it's worth solving correctly.

Gnomis Pervertus

02-25-2013

Even if there's a stance, there will still be trolling and raging over not getting their pick.

In normals, this will just lead to more dodging. In ranked... probably more dodging despite penalties. Or they'll troll the game, take the report, and move on. It's not like one game being reported will get them in the tribunal, as has been said many times.

The community has the power to fix this problem... unfortunately, that involves growing up and acting like an adult.

30 Helens

02-25-2013

Quote:
Because I think we have a very good community overall. Remember, I'm playing games in bronze 2. The techniques I have described work well for me. I do not have Riot in my name, and have only been recognized in about 6, maybe 7 games.

And told of it.