These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
8 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggotron View Post
Not gonna happen. I agree with you and wish it was like that, but it's not and never will be. People dunno how to swallow they pride or Epen for the rest of the team. Darned if u do, darned if you don't. Where there is a system, there is a group or morons trying to destroy it.
YOU can make it happen, next time someone wants the same role as you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Owlnoxus

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Why are we even talking to this guy?


I'm pretty sure RIOT's paying some 16 year old kid 7.25 an hour to sit on these boards and try to deflect all of our genuine concerns so they don't have to deal with real problems.

He can't do anything. He wont do anything. He's just a strawman and we're all falling for it hook line and sinker.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HostileWhiteGuy

Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Let me give an example for those who want a structured system.

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.
I see where you're coming from with this, but let me counter with this hypothetical situation. Let's say pick one and pick two are equally good at all roles (i.e. best at mid, okay at adc) and they both want to play mid. Even if there was a negotiation, eventually it would break down as both players are the same and neither would want to give up the role they shine at as it would be unfair to them, and in the current system (i. e. Don't be a jerk) it would be all but impossible to determine who should step down as even their 2nd choice of role would be the same. Who would be the jerk? The one who picks first? One of then has to pick eventually. Making pick order greater than call (at least in ranked for the sake of competitive play.) Would lessen a lot of stress as people will naturally pick their best role to win and not everyone can have their best roll every game as that's just how it is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

OwlCityBestCity

Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead1 View Post
Just a a /dice option
* Player 1 rolls 47 out of 100.
* Player 2 rolls 87 out of 100.

Oh look, player 2 gets to play mid.
^This. I actually think this would work wonders. People would respect this system and a few people won't. And if they don't, then you could simply report them for their selfishness.

This system would indirectly lead to the flushing out of the trolls from the community, too.

BEYOND a good idea.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcticfury

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm bronze 2, and work out with other people who want to jungle the roles, and we have never had 2 junglers or someone being forced into something. Every time it's been a happy communication that led to a friendly game with better teamwork for it.
There is no way every time has worked out great, I have, to this day, always tried to fill and tried to help settlements, but it have not worked out every time.

The only way this could happen is if you have only played a few games or are one of the very few outliers.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Owlnoxus

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
YOU can make it happen, next time someone wants the same role as you.
You wouldn't happen to be the guy who made Aether Wing Kayle, would you?

Let me get your twitter.

That skin blows hard.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Coyotedash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
I don't think Riot has an official stance on this issue (I could be wrong). We understand the value in both pick order and calling, but ultimately it's up to the group how they want to resolve those conflicts.

On the one hand, this is a game and you're trying to play it to have the most fun you can, but it's also a team based competitive experience. Endorsing one side will be extremely alienating to the other.

Being a diamond player gives you a different perspective on the issue, and we have to be sensitive to the player base in total.
You put way too much faith into your player base, because you assume people specially at mid-low elo can have a decent and balanced team comp discussion in under 50 seconds

How you expect ranked to go:
Im better top
I want top too but will fill
I dont want top Mid please
I can do whatever, what if we do a poke comp
I dont want to, hard to coordinate
Ok, but take it into consideration lets see what they have

How ranks go:
Silence for 45 seconds, picks start and madness beggins because people weren't even paying attention to the bans so the guy that JUST plays Vi got his champ banned and now is saying mid or feed, and the guy that wanted mid and sucks with support didn't say a thing because he was last pick and assumed his demise


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

phatcat09

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenArk View Post
As the Director of Player Experience, if he prefers pick order, I say, why don't we all?
Because it's a video game not a social club where you're bound by contract to operate in one way and as such the multitude of opinions are impossible to coalesce with the current set-up.

It's a pipe-dream to think that any sort of compromise will be reached in Queues and that one day everyone will pick most effectively without proper facilitation.

@Riot quit being stuck in academia and recognize the real world for what it is. Your ideals are not ascertainable with out proper facilitation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

deep

Senior Member

02-25-2013

It's always fun to hear EVERY 5th pick either:

1) can't play support
2) doesn't have support runes
3) doesn't own any supports
4) will feed if he has to support

almost every.single. game.

also, doing a 5 second search on an extremely popular stats site isn't stalking, it's making up for a feature that riot is too carebear to implement.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

chriscipp

Senior Member

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I'm bronze 2, and work out with other people who want to jungle the roles, and we have never had 2 junglers or someone being forced into something. Every time it's been a happy communication that led to a friendly game with better teamwork for it.

What fantasy world are you playing in? Do you promote the fact that you work for Riot and can give out free RP to get such good teamwork? Play without the title and see just how often that happens.