These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blackphoenix1988

02-25-2013

its like warcraft did when they opened the cross server dungeon and raid search the gave each box a checkable box by the player course they limited to the class of the player so u cant take a role u could never do but some thing even a little close would be nice or at least an announcement that they are working on this at least for next season so we can have hope on the horizon

Dèíty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
The reality is, we would need to make structural changes to the game flow to enforce either side. It would be dumb to take a stance on this issue but still allow people to operate as if that stance did not exist.

It's not like we fundamentally agree there should be confusion and anarchy every champion select. We agree it's not fun to "negotiate" fun.
So basically the trolling in champ select is indefensible, in theory it makes sense to have a stance on the issue, but the real obstacle here is that there are structural changes in the way.

So, employ people to work on that. Isn't improving your game what you guys do?

Just wanted to add first good substantive answer by Riot on this issue btw, I'm happy to see the ostrich pull its head out of the sand.

StreakSRM

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Is this in response to me saying that communication, compromise, and flexibility are the most important things for the team to do to coordinate champion selections, and how that is more important than pick order or a typing race?

If that is the case, I don't think trolling to get what they want is in any way communication and compromise.
Yes, because we don't live in a perfect world, and people need rules. Having no rules invites anarchy and increases trolling.

UnknownRandom

02-25-2013

RIOT lives in a dream world. They are all working in the same office, seeing each other face to face, letting each other play the roles they want because there are real consequences to their actions.

If they encounter a troll in champ select, they ban him.
So to them, this isn't an issue. Can't we all get along? If not, banned.

We don't have that option. We're forced to crawl through the shawshank redemption tunnel of filth with no chance righting the wrongs that have been done to us in champ select.

They're clueless and disconnected, and ultimately it hurts them.

MTaur

02-25-2013

If I have to fill in for my fourth-favorite role because of the almighty pick order, then I'm just going to mute people when they inevitably crawl up my ass for not being pr0. What, they thought "Pick order, suck on it!" was going to lead to a high-performing and cohesive team? Same problem exists when you make call order the official rule. It's just a rule for who has the right to say "suck on it". The thing is, earlier picks already have the power to make later picks "suck on it" even if there were no rule, so it shouldn't even matter too much in practice.

Unfortunately, 50% of the community will never take the "don't be an ass" rule as religiously as they do the almighty pick order, whether Riot backs them up or not. Though I guess conversely, the other 50% would probably be open to compromise even if Riot took a stance. I doubt that these numbers will change that much.

VanceStubbs

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImogenArk View Post
FOUND IT!

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post31679881

A RIOTER'S STANCE WITH SOME QUOTED INFORMATION. SIXTH RED POST IN.

EDIT: JUST READ HIS POST. A LOT EASIER THAT WAY.
Yes, that so explains everything... I mean it says what they always said.

Which is nothing.

Elgreezy

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS17be3276526497 View Post
Example:
Entering champ select...
Ally 1: hi, pref top or mid (+additional lanes)
Ally 2: sup, i pref adc but i could also top (+additional lanes)
Ally 3: yo, i like top or adc (+additional lanes)
Ally 4: Hi, I pref mid or jungle (+additional lanes)
Me: aloha, pref mid or sup (Yeah that's true, i main sup - deal with it) but I can fare top or jungle too
We discuss who takes which lane/Who can fit which role the best.
We get into a game with a role which we like and with a basic strategy set up.
We stay positive and play a good game.
We usually end up winning that game.
That's a pipe dream and will never be the norm in this game.

Let me give you a dose of reality.

Ally 1: top
Ally 2: top
Ally 3: mid
Ally 4 mid
Ally 5: I guess I'll adc.
Ally 1 & 2 then begin to fight about who called top first while Ally 3 & 4 begin to make derogatory remarks about each others mother. Ally 2 finally gives in and picks a jungler while promising to feed all game because he's not comfortable jungling. Ally 4 picks a support and proceeds to not buy a single ward all game. 9 times out of 10 this team loses the match and it's a miserable experience for all involved.

I get it, in a perfect world we would all act like adults and do what's best for the team but this isn't a perfect world and that rarely ever happens in game.

Tbird

02-25-2013

Guess what. If you end up with two mids and someone trolls you can report whoever you want. Obviously Riot's stance would not matter if the guy is going to troll with teleport revive anyway. The only way to resolve this would be to queue for roles and that will NEVER happen. Riot will not enforce a meta ever, and besides, not too long ago if someone queued for mid and picked a traditional top lane bruiser they would have been labeled a troll. How will the meta ever change and evolve if people are forced into the role and not allowed to do different and new things. We have all seen normal games work with no jungle if the duo top lane just destroys well enough and starts taking jungle creeps later on. If you think this meta is going to be around forever you are sorely mistaken. Just watch a few of the high level streams and you will see meta breaking things all the time. Anyone asking for a role queue is asking for them to dumb this game down.

Hackulator

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Let me give an example for those who want a structured system.

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.
Yeah, but we don't live in a magical world where people can always talk out their issues in the 90 or so seconds they might have before they need to pick. When a compromise cannot be reached, there needs to be some generally accepted methodology for resolving the dispute, and pick order is the simplest and most expedient way to do so. I'm 100% in favor of people talking it out, and I basically offer to play any role (though I tell people I'm a bad ADC, I'll play it if I have to), but sometimes things can't be resolved that easily.

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
6 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankyTrap View Post
Yes but If I look up their game history to compare the 2 people and person 1 his higher in rating and skill, they should get mid by default because theyre a better player and you play this game to WIN.
Internet stalking is really creepy. Every time someone looks up another player, it get creeped out.