These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fathomful

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

instead of the queueing for roles, why not have queueing with preferred roles (min of 2 required).

at least that eliminates the beginning of the ackward coversation

Skelethin

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
Is this in response to me saying that communication, compromise, and flexibility are the most important things for the team to do to coordinate champion selections, and how that is more important than pick order or a typing race?

If that is the case, I don't think trolling to get what they want is in any way communication and compromise.
And this is THE reason why there should be the option to kick from champ select, along with a report option.

For every troll that decides that being a jerk is more fun than playing nice, being a troll to get the roll they prefer gets them what they want easier than trying to play nice and work things out... you have 2-4 people that are getting pissed off, annoyed, having their outlook on the game going to hell before the game even starts, and/or people dodging to get away from the idiot in question, only to get punished for it with either a timed lock out, lost LP, or loss of a promotion series.

This is needed, especially for solo que, where you have to get the other 3 people with you to get the idiot kicked, and if you get trolls agree to kick you, now you don't have to deal with those idiots anyway.

kreepoto

02-25-2013

Quote:
Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.
tell that to the bronze and silver players :/

Lusis

02-25-2013

Quote:
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Let me give an example for those who want a structured system.

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.
Yes this is the IDEAL. However we aren't functioning in an ideal world. With Riot refusing to state a rule that is a tiebreaker quite often what happens in Person 1 and 2 just spend the entire time arguing, refusing to given in, and ruining the entire game.

If Riot would just make an official stance that while communication is the ultimate goal that in the case of ties the higher pick gets priority it would eliminate a lot of pre-game conflict and trolling.

ALtheeGreat

02-25-2013

Jungle!

Bullettime7

02-25-2013

Quote:
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

I like you Griftrix. I really do. But you're trying to apply common sense, logic, and teamwork for a situation caused by the fact that the majority at Bronze and Silver DON'T adhere to that.

You can't communicate with your team when the second two people type "top" it turns into an absolute flame fest with two people wishing death threats, cursing at one another, and threatening to feed and troll if they don't get their role regardless of their pick order.

I try to be the mediator in champ select and be the level headed one trying to get everyone roles to make them happy. But that doesn't work when last pick is raging ridiculously hard and insta locks Darius despite having a top laner, then threatens to feed the enemy team to "teach us a lesson" and to "enjoy the loss *insert homophobic slurs*."

phatcat09

02-25-2013

If only there were a way to design the game so that a specific pick order weren't necessary...you know where the majority of match conflict starts.....NAH!...

Welcome to the 75th Annual LoL HUNGER GAMES.

May the odds be ever in your favor.

JarlaxelBaenre

02-25-2013

Quote:

If life were like that, you wouldn't need GD.

FLÎP

02-25-2013

[QUOTE=Griftrix;35028802]How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.[/QUOTE

Not gonna happen. I agree with you and wish it was like that, but it's not and never will be. People dunno how to swallow they pride or Epen for the rest of the team. Darned if u do, darned if you don't. Where there is a system, there is a group or morons trying to destroy it.

... wow fail quote

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
I have faith that our community is mature enough to discover that talking to the other players and working things out together is the best strategy.
In a perfect world, yes.

But the age of the playerbase varies from <10 year olds to 40+ or whatever it is. Some players are mature enough to understand that. Others aren't. That's a life lesson that people have to learn on their own outside of playing a game, and it can take years to learn.

You have to realize that at some point there needs to be some kind of a direction from the your leadership instead of just "play nice out there". It doesn't work. It makes the nice people get to play what they want less often which then makes them less likely to be nice.