These Riot posts telling people to ignore pick order are doing massive harm.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stevev45

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griftrix View Post
I have faith that our community is mature enough to discover that talking to the other players and working things out together is the best strategy.
And when that fails we have pick order.

Eelic

02-25-2013

Hashinshin seems mad.

And I don't think Rioters are saying pick order doesn't matter. What they are saying is that cooperation is important, and the notion that pick order obviates the need for cooperation is downright idiotic. First pick should be communicating and compromising with his team, and if he is not, he is making his team lose just as much as the jackass who last picks Yorick instead of an adc.

Incidentally, you used the verb "troll" in your post while mad. This is not the first time that you've posted something stupid either to the forums or to RoG. Get over yourself.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
I don't think Riot has an official stance on this issue (I could be wrong). We understand the value in both pick order and calling, but ultimately it's up to the group how they want to resolve those conflicts.

On the one hand, this is a game and you're trying to play it to have the most fun you can, but it's also a team based competitive experience. Endorsing one side will be extremely alienating to the other.

Being a diamond player gives you a different perspective on the issue, and we have to be sensitive to the player base in total.
The problem with the no stance is that it's anarchy where the person who is more forceful with their desired role will get it or at least force a queue dodge.

Ideally I think everyone knows that communication is good. But for some people who will only do one thing they will get that one thing or they will ruin the game which holds the other 4 people hostage.

So, in the following game someone who was bullied out of their role by a jerk will be a jerk because they know that's how they get what they want. It's a really really annoying part of finding the game and would be easy if riot just added a votekick option or took a real stance.

DreadyTheYeti

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggotron View Post
NO change will ever completely work. You can't change the fact that some peoples sole purpose in this game is to ruin and waste your time. It's sad, but nothing you can really do. They will always find a way to hinder advancement.

I think being forced into a position that you don't want to play is a worse offense than letting people pick the champ they want. To me it's more of a waste of time playing someone you don't want to play than it is making due with a team who picks for fun. There are other options than the typical "meta" - why is everyone so afraid to think outside the box? Doesn't it ever get old doing the same thing over and over again?

Zamíel

02-25-2013

Quote:
I have faith that our community is mature enough to discover that talking to the other players and working things out together is the best strategy.
You'd have better luck putting your faith in a certain monster comprised mostly of a certain kinda pasta.

phatcat09

02-25-2013

Quote:
The Naivety.

There will be no understanding without direction. You'll figure it out eventually. I've said it before I'll say it again. There's a boiling point that will soon be reached the question is how will you deal with it when it comes.

Bullettime7

02-25-2013

Quote:
Have you played matches at Bronze and Silver lately? Champion select is basically nonsensical insult throwing before communication even has a chance to start and god help you if you lock a top laner instead of the last pick who's been raging and cursing everyone out already from the time the lobby opened.

The reason queue dodges went up exponentially during S2 was because we had a way to avoid these people instead of taking ELO losses. Now, we're stuck with them.

Kyrrion

02-25-2013

Quote:
You have faith that an internet community is mature...

You sure about that? >>

Griftrix

Senior Animation Engineer

02-25-2013
4 of 59 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hashinshin View Post
I think it's being FAR too lenient to be having so many posts by Riot saying "well you should compromise and bla bla" when you're trying to compromise with people who will every time they're last pick just say "I have no idea how to play support if I play support I'll play annie because I Can't support." At a certain point you have to say "this is a draft, if you wanted to BS around there are other queues for that, this is malicious bannable behavior."

Instead of the current trend of Riot posts which tell us to work with these people. Because these people read the riot posts and say "he's right, I'm entitled to pick what I want!"
How well do you think someone who claims to be terrible at support will do at support? Do you really want to have that person playing their worst role?

Let me give an example for those who want a structured system.

Person 1 and 2 call mid. Here is the right thing to do. Ask each other what other roles they are good at. Decide together which one should play mid, considering team composition and counter picking. If one of the players states a role that has not yet been filled as a secondary role they are good at, then this becomes easy.

Crowcide

02-25-2013

Straight from the summoners code:

Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If youre the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasnt already been filled. If everyones picked and something stands out as a deficiency in your team composition, try asking for another player to fill the gap, or change roles to embrace that responsibility yourself. Remember, that by taking on a role you dont normally play, youll learn more about unfamiliar champions and increase your own skill level.