Confessions of a Kass spammer

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Froppi

02-24-2013

I love playing Kassadin, I was playing him long before people caught wind of his defining mobility, silence, and slow. But here is the reason why Kass needs to be changed beyond his ult, silence, slow, (and if built properly, tankiness). Playing Kass taught me how not to play the game. He isn't just game breaking if played right; he encourages the player to play the game in a way that it wasn't designed for.

When I play Kass I don't engage intelligently into team fights, I simply ult to where the edge hits players, which subsequently is within range of my slow, and if needed the silence; then ult back out. It encourages me to back door hardcore when my team has top, and abuse bottom ganks (which makes it realllllllllllllllllllllllllly unfun for bot AP casters). I realize backdooring and bot ganks are necessary to the game, but Kass brings it to a whole new level. I can be at 2 places at once. Kass teaches me that I can die in such a detrimental manner than any other character wouldn't be able to recover, but since I'm Kass, I pop revive, and am back into the fight in which I turn the tide in and somehow benefit from (sorry run-on sentence).

Feel free to add, love, hate, whatever floats your boat on the subject.

Koravel

02-24-2013

Huh. That's something that I've never even really considered and you're absolutely right.

He does change the way you play the game in a very detrimental manner.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-24-2013

meh.

he can get away with some mad BS for sure, but I wouldn't say that playing him teaches you how to suck anymore than playing support teaches you to suck at Mages. If you try to put the triangle shaped block in the square hole, you are going to have a bad time.

smXho

02-25-2013

thats why i hate those 2k elo kass spammer calling people like us struggling at 1600-1800 (because we don't play Kass) trash

KaWraith

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froppi View Post
I love playing Kassadin, I was playing him long before people caught wind of his defining mobility, silence, and slow. But here is the reason why Kass needs to be changed beyond his ult, silence, slow, (and if built properly, tankiness). Playing Kass taught me how not to play the game. He isn't just game breaking if played right; he encourages the player to play the game in a way that it wasn't designed for.

When I play Kass I don't engage intelligently into team fights, I simply ult to where the edge hits players, which subsequently is within range of my slow, and if needed the silence; then ult back out. It encourages me to back door hardcore when my team has top, and abuse bottom ganks (which makes it realllllllllllllllllllllllllly unfun for bot AP casters). I realize backdooring and bot ganks are necessary to the game, but Kass brings it to a whole new level. I can be at 2 places at once. Kass teaches me that I can die in such a detrimental manner than any other character wouldn't be able to recover, but since I'm Kass, I pop revive, and am back into the fight in which I turn the tide in and somehow benefit from (sorry run-on sentence).

Feel free to add, love, hate, whatever floats your boat on the subject.
^This.
At 2k elo where I play, the kass spammers play pretty terribly compared to everyone else. they have very poor sense of how the game mode works compared to everyone else at that elo. They often get incredibly outplayed, but kassadin's broken kit just makes up for it in overwhelming power, especially in the pivotal stages of the late game.
What makes it worse is when they don't play kassadin, most spammers suddenly realize how deeply out of their depth they are because their elo is often 500 or more points inflated, and they get horribly horribly crushed. This makes them feel helpless because without kassadin, they basically cannot compete with the people matchmaking assumes they are equally skilled with. eventually they realize they have to spam kassadin just to go even with the opponents they are facing. This creates a self perpetuating cycle whereby they are forced to keep spamming because nobody wants to have the "elo hell" experience that is losing your way back down several hundred elo to be where you belong in match-making. They are stuck, and it is bad for them, and bad for everyone else in an extremely toxic play situation.
Once there is a kassadin "nerf" or fix implemented, I imagine most of the kass spammers will basically have to quit dominion, or make new accounts, simply because it would really suck to literally lose 90% of your games until you got back where you belong in the elo system, and all your teammates would be furious at you because you aren't as good as matchmaking assumes and are dragging their team down by a large margin. I'm not sure if this happened to Teemo spammers, but I haven't seen any of the ones I used to run into all the time lately (though I may just be playing so much less now that kassadin spam is so prevalent.)

This entire situation, and extreme toxicity in the dominion community is due to RIOT's negligence, not Nome, but whoever above him is calling the shots about dominion's place in their priority list. It's the prisoners paradox, and while at high elo playing kassadin is considered rude, and there is a tacit agreement not to do it; there will always be lower elo players desperate to carry themselves to the "big leagues" who will play kassadin anyway to achieve what they otherwise could not.
So thank you for posting, it helps the conversation.

I would like to know what Riot has to say about the fact that they have created and perpetuated this very toxic gameplay system, by refusing to take the simple action of disabling kassadin on dominion until their "solution" can be found and implemented. This kind of situations happens with every new (unintentionally) OP champion that is released ... but when release day champions are massively overpowered, they quickly get nerfed. If kassadin could do on SR what he does on dominion, there would be a hotfix by the end of the day.

Champions like Jayce and kha'zix have similar problems (though to a smaller extent), and also need to be dealt with. While I supported the anti-teemo items that were created (which doubled as shaco counters for the lower Elo's where shaco is played), I think that the problem was allowed to fester for far too long before a fix was implemented.

So my question for Riot remains: why not disable the cheesecake tier champions on dominion until you get around to fixing them? twitch and evelyn were nerfed basically into oblivion for ~2 years due to the stealth issue. It's not like SR players will care one iota that kassadin is disabled n dominion.

Froppi

02-25-2013

Thank you for understanding the more profound meaning of my post. My post was just to scratch the surface, but your in-depth explanation was something that I was not able to put into words yesterday.

Koravel

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaWraith View Post
^This.
At 2k elo where I play, the kass spammers play pretty terribly compared to everyone else. they have very poor sense of how the game mode works compared to everyone else at that elo. They often get incredibly outplayed, but kassadin's broken kit just makes up for it in overwhelming power, especially in the pivotal stages of the late game.
What makes it worse is when they don't play kassadin, most spammers suddenly realize how deeply out of their depth they are because their elo is often 500 or more points inflated, and they get horribly horribly crushed. This makes them feel helpless because without kassadin, they basically cannot compete with the people matchmaking assumes they are equally skilled with. eventually they realize they have to spam kassadin just to go even with the opponents they are facing. This creates a self perpetuating cycle whereby they are forced to keep spamming because nobody wants to have the "elo hell" experience that is losing your way back down several hundred elo to be where you belong in match-making. They are stuck, and it is bad for them, and bad for everyone else in an extremely toxic play situation.
Once there is a kassadin "nerf" or fix implemented, I imagine most of the kass spammers will basically have to quit dominion, or make new accounts, simply because it would really suck to literally lose 90% of your games until you got back where you belong in the elo system, and all your teammates would be furious at you because you aren't as good as matchmaking assumes and are dragging their team down by a large margin. I'm not sure if this happened to Teemo spammers, but I haven't seen any of the ones I used to run into all the time lately (though I may just be playing so much less now that kassadin spam is so prevalent.)

This entire situation, and extreme toxicity in the dominion community is due to RIOT's negligence, not Nome, but whoever above him is calling the shots about dominion's place in their priority list. It's the prisoners paradox, and while at high elo playing kassadin is considered rude, and there is a tacit agreement not to do it; there will always be lower elo players desperate to carry themselves to the "big leagues" who will play kassadin anyway to achieve what they otherwise could not.
So thank you for posting, it helps the conversation.

I would like to know what Riot has to say about the fact that they have created and perpetuated this very toxic gameplay system, by refusing to take the simple action of disabling kassadin on dominion until their "solution" can be found and implemented. This kind of situations happens with every new (unintentionally) OP champion that is released ... but when release day champions are massively overpowered, they quickly get nerfed. If kassadin could do on SR what he does on dominion, there would be a hotfix by the end of the day.

Champions like Jayce and kha'zix have similar problems (though to a smaller extent), and also need to be dealt with. While I supported the anti-teemo items that were created (which doubled as shaco counters for the lower Elo's where shaco is played), I think that the problem was allowed to fester for far too long before a fix was implemented.

So my question for Riot remains: why not disable the cheesecake tier champions on dominion until you get around to fixing them? twitch and evelyn were nerfed basically into oblivion for ~2 years due to the stealth issue. It's not like SR players will care one iota that kassadin is disabled n dominion.
Well said, sir, well said.

LoonyLovegood

02-25-2013

I could have sworn that Riot did change Kass on Dominion a while back. Did they revert these changes or did they not go through with them?

Tortferngatr

02-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyLovegood View Post
I could have sworn that Riot did change Kass on Dominion a while back. Did they revert these changes or did they not go through with them?
They weren't enough.

Malah

02-25-2013

It ended up being a buff because apparently nobody realized that Kassadin of any format does eventually pick up AP.

Derp.