@Riot, What's your opinion on Youmuu's Ghostblade?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MyDeadGrandma

02-24-2013

It's a nice item in dominion and TT as an alternative to black cleaver if you're an auto-attacker.

Please don't do anything silly to it because of top lane/jungle SR.

AquaDragon42

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
Ranged characters only get the active for 4 seconds and tend to have considerably longer engagement windows than bruisers. The item is not meant for ranged ADs and does work particularly well on them.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Wit's End on Vi vs. double AP comps.

Also, we saw a ghostblade/triforce/warmog's build on Shushei's Vi today in the Eu LCS. I'd say avarice first is probably a trap in the Ghostblade buildup because of how powerful brutalizer is to get early.
I did not mean to get it first, though getting Avarice Blade durring the laning phase will most likely be best so you get more gold from each camp.

NotBuzzJack

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashGizmo View Post
I'd say avarice first is probably a trap in the Ghostblade buildup because of how powerful brutalizer is to get early.
I'm sure Xypherous would love to hear more about this.

Trolosaurus

02-24-2013

Never buy it
Ever

Other items do it's job better I feel.

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

02-24-2013
6 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDragon42 View Post
I did not mean to get it first, though getting Avarice Blade durring the laning phase will most likely be best so you get more gold from each camp.
the unfortunate part of avarice blade is that it gives a stat that isn't worth sitting on alone, and all of its upgrades are large power boosts—it's very often a 'less than ideal' proposition to sit on it and farm up for a while. if you know that your team is in it for the long haul, it can be okay to farm up a few hundred gold with it, but it's rarely noticeable when you're looking at the big picture.

btw, youmuu's + last whisper is often the best 5k gold you can spend for physical damage in league of legends (the scenario does matter though), and there are a good handful of champions that can (by the end of the game) afford to spend the gold/slots on that much murdering power. some of my favorites are irelia, vi, olaf, and pretty much any ranged adc.

JaFaR Ironclad

02-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDragon42 View Post
Actually, Ghost Blade might be better on Vi. She already has a % armor shred with Denting Blows, so flat Armor Pen will help greatly. You then have the active which will help you apply more stacks of Denting Blow with out having to rely entirely on Excessive Force and auto attacks (which she would have to do if she got Black Cleaver). Other than Trinity Force and Berserker's Greaves (though I personally use Merc Treads or Boots of Swiftness on her) there arent really any other attack speed items for her that I can think of. And with her in the jungle, building an early Avarice Blade will help give her extra gold to get better items as well as more wards. (though personally I think warding should be done by everyone, not just supports and junglers)

Zephyr is a decent option for AS, albeit slightly on the expensive side; Vi doesn't mind more CDR.

NotBuzzJack

02-24-2013

So basically Avarice blade is a silly item.

DreMLoK

02-24-2013

lol garen and renekton using ghostblade makes me facepalm so hard is this guy talking seriously?

Weenarg

02-24-2013

This reminds me of when people said Haunting Guise was weak, then it started appearing every game (this was months before Liandry's or the penetration changes)

ricklessabandon

qa analyst

02-24-2013
7 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBuzzJack View Post
So basically Avarice blade is a silly item.
i actually think it's really cool, but i personally find it to have awkwardness directly proportional to the competitiveness of a given game.

essentially, when you're trying to optimize advantage from every facet of the game it gets really hard to justify offsetting the power curve of your build by 800g for a small discount which is directly proportional to an additional offset to your power curve. opportunistic players will take advantage of that, and competitive games are all about seizing opportunity.

all that considered, youmuu's is still a really good item, you just have to build into it properly based on your situation.