Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xFERx

10-15-2010

You should start the post by saying what "Rupture" is to those not familiar with DotA...

TheBoxFox

10-15-2010

Obvious form of Rupture:
Create a binding tether to the ground that deals damage if you start moving away from it? :O

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
10 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThanksALatte View Post
Ok, so your argument for rupture is that someone wouldn't figure out why they are taking damage. How is this any different than undying rage, a new player would be wondering why tryndamere isn't dying. It just says ENDLESS RAGE. No new player will understand why they can't kill him and he is killing them. Why not implement rupture, and have the words DAMAGE WHILE MOVING flash above his head? That's basically what endless rage is, except would actually tell you what it's doing.

Dunno, maybe it is just as simple as I disagree that a new player would take more than 2 or 3 tries to realize that rupture deals damage based on movement.
Rupture has a ton of problems

First, burden of knowledge

Secondly, its good when they are fleeing -- in which case in dota you have a good shot at a kill anyway if it was, oh i dont know, deals 300 damage direct nuke ;p So, its purpose is pretty weak

Thirdly, it's just not that satisfying vs its power -- power without gameplay. Human psycology undervalues weak dots.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
11 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychique View Post
Obvious form of Rupture:
Create a binding tether to the ground that deals damage if you start moving away from it? :O
yes, much better.

PreNerfXin

10-15-2010

Jax has 2 or 3 of those(newbies autoing him as a caster, ult buff has no tooltip, etc), so I hope the rework touches them.

IS1d69e2e5726f5f

10-15-2010

so... no mana burn in the future and no ability to increase enemy's CD?

Fennec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-15-2010

Burden of Knowledge was the most interesting makes me feel better about LoL gaining heroes with this thought. I still love the skill of Rupture but i guess you can't have every skill doing weird things. But how do you deal with new type of skill with out everything becoming too bland with out complex new skills?

Geeves

Lead Live Designer

10-15-2010
12 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
And who was the designer doing play balance when DH MB got massively nerfed?
Who was the designer who RUINED MY ANTI-MAGIC SHELL SO I COULD NEVER AGAIN DO A UNIQUE UNDEAD STRATEGY?

My plan to infiltrate Riot 6 years later and destroy from within has come to fruition. You killed my Banshees!

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FennecFoxx View Post
Burden of Knowledge was the most interesting makes me feel better about LoL gaining heroes with this thought. I still love the skill of Rupture but i guess you can't have every skill doing weird things. But how do you deal with new type of skill with out everything becoming too bland with out complex new skills?
Complexity =!= burden of knowledge. There can be complicated mechanics that are still intuitive. Ezreal's ultimate is an example of this. Infinite range skillshot brief charge time that deals less damage with everyone it hits. Ezreal players need to get all of that. Opponents need to get "Big laser does damage" .

Nasus' siphoning strike. Relatively complex ability (damage growth on kills) really simple to understand (I got hit for damage). Or Morgana's Ultimate. AoE medium damage initiation slowing post 1.5 seconds pops stunning + higher damage. For the opponents? Tethers are bad. I mean... yeah

Or take a theoretical ability: Ward on the ground that slows more and more as you walk away from it. Complex formula for placement, who it leashes onto, how far they can get, how speed affects maximum distance from it, interaction with flash shift leap stand united shunpo etc. etc. For your opponent? The visual is highly intuitive.

Geeves

Lead Live Designer

10-15-2010
13 of 282 Riot Posts

ps i'm not bitter