Zileas' List of Game Design Anti-Patterns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Intangible

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Death Recap reduces burden of knowledge effects.

All abilities have some burden of knowledge, but some have more than others. It's an optimization.
That's a really good point. I never really noticed how valuable death recap is, even though I use it ALL the time But this is mostly because it has been so seemlessly integrated into the game.

Especially when I first started, I was ALWAYS clicking on that bad boy to see what pwned me.

Now I use it to counter build(armor/MR). Or to see what owned me so I can better position myself to stay away from said skills that killed me.

I'm now in awe of death recap.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
7 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzul View Post
It is ok.. Jax is still my main, since the times I wasn't lvl 30, and I did suggest that his ulti would receive an passive component somewhere in the forums
well, we are overhauling him

DT777

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeves View Post
I enjoyed the gameplay of Priest mana burn in WoW. There was lots of positioning/counter positioning gameplay (don't stand in the open to get gibbed if you're the priest, LoS behind pillars as the victim, interrupt etc), and 3 mana burns didn't leave you oom. Hunters were way worse - 1 shot to drain 15% of your mana, repeat for 1 minute, win.

WC3 had more offensive mana burn in the form of the Demon Hunter. He would kite you for 15 seconds and drain your mana in the process, meaning you couldn't cast spells for 5 minutes. Wait a minute, didn't Zileas work on WC3...
lol.

Or DotA's Nerubian Assassin. Good luck having any mana during laning. Loved playing nerub.

Perennial

10-15-2010

just one question ^^, for me skillshots are much more fun than point an click skills
so why dont heroes have more of these ?

ThanksALatte

10-15-2010

Ok, so your argument for rupture is that someone wouldn't figure out why they are taking damage. How is this any different than undying rage, a new player would be wondering why tryndamere isn't dying. It just says ENDLESS RAGE. No new player will understand why they can't kill him and he is killing them. Why not implement rupture, and have the words DAMAGE WHILE MOVING flash above his head? That's basically what endless rage is, except would actually tell you what it's doing. Or like you said, in the death recap, put a description of how rupture hurt them. When I first started, I didn't understand why some of annie's casts stunned me, I didn't know why I got slowed after twitch hit me a few times, I didn't know why mf's double up hit me seemingly where ever I went. The "don't understand" argument could be applied to so many current skills.

Dunno, maybe it is just as simple as I disagree that a new player would take more than 2 or 3 tries to realize that rupture deals damage based on movement.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
8 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeves View Post
I enjoyed the gameplay of Priest mana burn in WoW. There was lots of positioning/counter positioning gameplay (don't stand in the open to get gibbed if you're the priest, LoS behind pillars as the victim, interrupt etc), and 3 mana burns didn't leave you oom. Hunters were way worse - 1 shot to drain 15% of your mana, repeat for 1 minute, win.

WC3 had more offensive mana burn in the form of the Demon Hunter. He would kite you for 15 seconds and drain your mana in the process, meaning you couldn't cast spells for 5 minutes. Wait a minute, didn't Zileas work on WC3...
And who was the designer doing play balance when DH MB got massively nerfed?

Tipzntrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2010

Too easy. That's my only complaint.

It's always nice to try and explain things, but taking complicated effects out altogether is a cop-out. Multi-purpose abilities also are just that: used for multiple purposes. There's no need to have every ability have a single purpose period. If that was the case, why does Zilean have Time Warp?

NinjainSpandex

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
Death Recap reduces burden of knowledge effects.

All abilities have some burden of knowledge, but some have more than others. It's an optimization.
Ok what about the mismatching? It seems to me this is the biggest problems with the design. When you have characters that excell at dishing out damage and tanking, not only does it eradicate plain tanks, it eradicates glass canons(except maybe twitch).

Sorry if I come across as a jerk, or a misinformed player. I'm just speaking from my own experience.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

10-15-2010
9 of 282 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perennial View Post
just one question ^^, for me skillshots are much more fun than point an click skills
so why dont heroes have more of these ?
because not everyone is like you

I'm with you personally though.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

10-15-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylina View Post
Amazing post. I could read stuff like this all day!
don't do stupid stuff like this :/ please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT777 View Post
lol.

Or DotA's Nerubian Assassin. Good luck having any mana during laning. Loved playing nerub.
You misunderstand his point. It's not a matter of what YOU like. It's a matter of what is enjoyable. Being useless in a fight is not enjoyable. Dying is understandable. Being drained to 0 mana and just being useless for a long period of time? Boring and stupid. It feels good for YOU, but so does getting a kill. Being drained to 0 is ACTIVELY unenjoyable for the opponent. Dying is "****, I died, let's get it together". Being stunned and mana drained to 0 for 30 seconds is "Oh. Yay. I'm useless forever now."