Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bladeofwill

02-13-2013

My main complaint is well, I know its Demacian colors and all, but does she really need gold armor? If she is truly concerned about practicality, wouldn't she choose a more protective helmet, and colors that blend in to a forest setting? Those bright colors are saying "Hey, ranger attempting to be sneaky here, please shoot at me".

Maybe its just me, and I in no way mean to insult the artwork, but it comes across as trying too hard to say "look at me, I am not feminine at all and wear full armor" instead of just being "dont notice me while I track you down and shoot you from behind before you know I'm here."

Maybe to put it in other words, she looks like a female Jarvan, with hawk and crossbow. Jarvan is a prince, ceremonial looking, gold plated armor is ok for princes. It is not ok for rangers who have no one to impress with how shiny they are.

Killrazor

02-13-2013

Quinn is an awesome champ. Looks bad ass as well.. What is not to like.... Armor is badass, women are amazing... The two go perfectly together.

Awesome job IronStylus

Rauron

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the sentiment. I'm stating that I'm not a one-note that only puts women in armor. Armor's not right for everyone.
That's great. I agree with your point. Armor definitely isn't for everyone... but it IS for Sivir. It definitely belongs on Sejuani. Kat, Cassi, MF, and Janna can flounce around with little on but their knackers, 'cause that fits in one way or another, but Sivir still ina bikini + miniskirt? Naw, not feelin' it.

zyrrael

02-14-2013

Quote:
Technical note. Those characters would read nearly identical in our game with the exception of the cape and internal detail.

For an RTS such as LoL those would equate to two skins for the same character.

One thing to consider is how much we have to bust up silhouettes, internal details, and bodies in general to make things look remotely unique in game. There will be overlaps, quite often, but we treat those overlaps with context such as animation, VFX, VO, etc.

I tried a more standard form with Quinn. She started out with a jumpsuit. She ended up looking like Vayne and yet another woman with skin-tight clothing. That wasn't impactful, it was boring, and it was standard.

That silhouette you're giving an example of is the essentially the same sillouette if we were to build those and put them at a top-down 3 quarters view.
Women in skin tight clothing is never boring.

MandyMemory

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

Quote:
Recall didn't feel right in accordance of Kat's theme or the skin's theme. It felt tacked on and meaningless.

Armored women do = strong, independent. That's just one solution in a host of solutions to making strong independent women. Miss Fortune is a strong independent woman, too.
Hard mode: Armored woman who is weak and dependent.

Errr...I might have just described Leona since she is only a protector. Maybe not weak, but not very independent.

Challenge still stands. Bonus for shy.

Shenalia

02-14-2013

All this discussion aside? Quinn's design looks amazing and I can't wait for her to come out. I - and many people I know - find this kind of character design sexier and more attractive than some of the blatant fanservice skin-suit women that have come out. Awesome work, IronStylus!

MTaur

02-14-2013

Quote:
Sivir's not exactly gaining any clothing at this point.
Please don't let them break her spine if they update the splash art. That's all I'm asking for. Soraka looks like she's in pain.

Saccharina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-14-2013

Well, since the majority of abilities in this game is generic bull**** like gap closers and "on next hit deal extra damage", etc, it's just a matter of time until the generic design starts leaking into character models.

RudBoy

02-14-2013

Just change the face imo

VanceStubbs

02-14-2013

Meanwhile Kayle...