Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NegaStoat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

I like her design. Many others may not and wish she appeared differently, but I personally like it.

This design is an answer to "What kind of champ appearance do we lack within the game currently?"
She's not a curvy champion strutting across the field in a sultry manner. She represents the opposite end of the spectrum, and that's the point.

I dig it. Elise, Miss Fortune, Diana, Zyra, etc are all out there for people wanting big jugs and hip action.

Carmilia

02-13-2013

This community will never be satisfied, thats for sure. I find Quinn's design to be awesome, and yet theres people complaining about it.

> RIOT, LESS NAKED-ISH WOMEN

*Riot releases full clothed female champ*

> RIOT, I NO LIKE DESIGN

/facepalm.

Captain Jamaica

02-13-2013

I hope she doesnt have a harsh voice

Sorator

02-13-2013

I like her.

I like her a lot.

As someone who really gets annoyed by the amount of boob-age in games such as this, THANK YOU for giving us some female characters who don't fight with their chests.

Quinn looks awesome. And that is all.

quizno1965

02-13-2013

I think the design looks great. She's a soldier not a succubus.

Zinwrath

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsaBootyHole View Post
You need to choose your words with a bit more care. This is coming off as a tad ignorant.

ALL WOMEN ARE WOMEN FIRST.

A woman doesn't need to look like a man to be dominant in a "male creative space."

She could be wearing a bikini with big blonde hair with D-cups and you would still have to respect her because that is her choice. Like, congrats on making an androgynous female champion. But if this is coming from some repressed misogynist instinct then I really do not want / appreciate it.

If you TRULY want to challenge convention where are the more ethnic champions?
oh snap

Lightburst

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
I'll tell you what a League of Legends falcon ranger looks like.

It looks like Quinn.
I Like Quinn's look shes pretty while very different from all the females was it your intent to make her look a little like Talon? Are they related in anyway? because they sure do look like they would be Brother and sister.

A Rabid Teemo

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way.
This is where you lose me. You say that's an invalid argument... but what about design for the opposite reasons? Isn't that what you're doing now, basically designing a female as best as you can to NOT look female?

If design for the sake of identifying gender is a "sad excuse" then isn't also design for the sake of ignoring gender?

I'm not one of these people that complains endlessly about "themes" and such not fitting to my particular taste, but it seems strange to me that you would point out something in particular as bad design, when looking at Quinn, we have a very bloated and unfitting design. How does she shoot with so much constriction around her shoulders, arms, and torso? To me, this is just a fantasy game, so the design is cool, and magic doesn't make any sense anyway. But if I start nitpicking about certain designs then I have to admit that Quinn isn't any better than Sejuani.

turkeyBACON

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Bright View Post
I doubt you'll even see this, but as I said in the previous topic, you struggled so far in the opposite direction that it went right past unattractive and straight into illogical. I'd like to cover your explanation point by point, in the hopes you'll actually notice.

- Sadly, it's all too blatant she used to be a man. She looks far too masculine, even moreso than Leona's classic skin. As for the armor, hopefully it looks better in the official artwork--but in the sketch, it looks like plate. Thick, heavy, unwieldy plate that doesn't lend itself to the character or *any* ranger's behaviors. And as I also said, having knowledge of falconry, Valor would not be able to clasp onto a smooth gauntlet like that.

- I don't see baggy clothing, unfortunately. I see some flashes of leather overshadowed by over-designed plate-looking armor covering her from head to toe, that is both tight *and* hides her entire body.

- The helmet may be a design choice, but it's a poor one. And it's almost insulting to call it Valkyrie when you know people are going to get pissed over the DVD issue. I get that it's supposed to be part of the bird motif, but again, it doesn't fit the character at all, and the fact she even has a hooded mantle is ridiculous. Why are you wearing a hooded cloak if you can't actually put it on should the need arise?

- I find it a bit insulting you say a ranger doesn't care if you know that they're male or female. The concepts are not mutually exclusive at all. And you're again equating femininity with weakness, a stereotypical image, a lack of capability, and so on. Your very words imply that a woman can't practically fight without having an androgynous figure.

Again, there are preferences (I myself prefer a lithe, slender frame), and there is discrimination. You need to realize that your justification for the characters you keep portraying is just as judgmental and insulting as the "fans" who demand everyone to be spilling out of their top and nearly naked as the day they were born.

I'm sure this is not your intention, as you always seem like a great, down-to-earth guy in any matters besides "what female characters ought to look like." As I've said before, Leona has been one of my favorite characters since she was released. But then you did it again. And again. And people begin to see there's something beyond just style and preference here, and more judgments and discrimination.

And as for Sejuani, you need to also stop going back on her original design as well. Perhaps given your location you seem to be unfamiliar with the concept of different temperatures affecting people in different ways. I myself live in the Northern US, and 40 degrees is t-shirt weather to me. Friends in Iceland and such tolerate even cooler weather. Sejuani (and Tryn, and Olaf, and Ashe) are from an extremely frigid, icy place, and they STAY THERE. It is their home. They are used to it. There is nothing unrealistic about someone wearing light clothing in a cold climate when it's a climate they're literally genetically predisposed into being used to.

I upvoted you, but not because I agree with you but because you have some interesting points. I'm not sure they're valid to the discussion of her but i'll go off in this tangent with you.

Okay you have a point that her armour does appear a little impractical and I agree it does look a little heavy and unwieldy. But what I find confusing is that you are in against "s l u t shaming" which most feminists are also against but you appear to be also against women looking androgynous or masculine. Maybe you don't consider yourself a feminist but you sound like one to me on that point. Anyways I'm all for women looking like women but i think your view on what women actually look like is quite narrow. Women don't all have hourglass figures and heartshaped faces with highcheek bones and pointed chins. They can look masculine and boxy (which i do not thin Quinn looks like by the by) and still be beautiful/handsome. I feel like that your holding onto conventional female beauty so much that you are actually "handsome shaming". You take offense that shes so covered up that you cant see her figure and that she needs to cover up in order to appear strong. But the thing is that we already have a TON of women in the game that follow the conventional appearance of bueaty and also are quite strong: syndra, elise, miss fortune, fiora, and vayne to name a few. Now tell me how many we have that don't follow convention? I can only think of diana, vi, irelia, riven and karma. Again these are just my opinions but that really way too few. What ironstylus is trying to do is just add more diversity. I don't always agree with how he does it (Vi isn't muscular enough and nami could have been pushed to be more fish like than human), He is trying and I applaud him for the effort.

About sejuani: she is a poorly designed champion. If you look at her without the context of her lore she is just all over the place. She's a lithe women in fur lined bikini riding a giant boar and swinging around a mace. what you expect from her is that okay she wants to get in your face with that boar and mace to beat the **** out of you. But then you see that you she's quite curvy and nearly naked. Is she suppose to be trying to seduce me? Is she or maybe she's super agile and doesn't want clothes to inhibit her movement. her visuals are telling two completely different stories. Her lore has only one line to justify her appearence, ONE line! She's tough so she doesn't wear alot of clothes, yeesh really? Okay fine, lets roll with that; If i were to redesign her I would focus on practicality. I would make her boar alittle smaller and then give her defined muscular hips and arms. Sejuani should be imposing and tough not just her boar. Then get rid of the bikini top and replace it with bandage made of leather/fur similar to Riven's or her sabertusk skin. Have remove her shoulder armour and keep all the current skin exposed ( I wouldn't be opposed to giving her a kilt like skirt though). NOW all that exposed skin should have random scars and battle wounds. She is an experience warrior and should be able to show her struggles and how she over came them. Maybe even give her a missing finger from frost bite. I understand this isn't for everyone. It definitely tones down her feminity but really it matches her lore and character as a bruiser tank much better.

Edit: there a lot of grammer mistakes and I'm rambling but its pretty late and I'll try to fix them later.

Kanikkers

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Bright View Post
And as for Sejuani, you need to also stop going back on her original design as well. Perhaps given your location you seem to be unfamiliar with the concept of different temperatures affecting people in different ways. I myself live in the Northern US, and 40 degrees is t-shirt weather to me. Friends in Iceland and such tolerate even cooler weather. Sejuani (and Tryn, and Olaf, and Ashe) are from an extremely frigid, icy place, and they STAY THERE. It is their home. They are used to it. There is nothing unrealistic about someone wearing light clothing in a cold climate when it's a climate they're literally genetically predisposed into being used to.
Wow, I realize this is ridiculously far back, but...are you ****ing kidding me?
You realize there's a big difference between wearing a t-shirt in 40-degree weather in the Northern US, and wearing literally a bra and panties in permanent sub-freezing temperatures in a frozen, icy homeland?
Jesus ****ing christ, I hope you don't ever get snow where you live, you might end up walking outside in your undies.