Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baín

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbler View Post
Saying that Leona and Quinn are too similar because they both wear armor (despite how different their armor is, and that Leona honestly isn't wearing armor in her base skin anyway) is as stupid as saying Riven and Garen are too similar because they both have swords, broken or not.

Oh my god, Poppy has armor and is from Demacia. Quinn is clearly way too similar to Poppy and thus uncreative and making Poppy less special! We need more half naked, busty supermodels that constantly spout sexual innuendo right away! Those are the only truly creative female champions!

They did, then they went back on it when they realized that's really stupid.
I agree with the point here. Leona is not similar to Quinn from a distance beyond the fact that they are both armored women; Leona is wearing yellow and red, barely anything, and silver and red in her skins. Quinn is not wearing that.

AIexanderNW

02-13-2013

iron solari leona + vindicator vayne

Maverick Renegade

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

I wanted to make it a point to pop in here in support of Ironstylus. In forums like these, people are generally more motivated to post when they are unhappy with something, so the opposite side (those who like that thing) isn't really heard because they aren't bothering to talk. I do that all the time.

But this time, instead, I'm going to speak up. I really like Quinn's design. I think it looks badass and amazing and iconic and fit's the style of the game and the lore and just makes sense. I can't wait to buy this champion, and it restores a lot of my faith and love for Riot that they have someone like Ironstylus standing up for this stuff and taking the flak from you lot.

I see people in this thread apparently offended that a female isn't being represented as overtly sexualized. To them I ask: does EVERY female have to be that way? Can you really not just let even one of them go? Think of Elise and Zyra and Syndra and even, yes, Vi (a corset with a little skirt, guys) - let alone all the older champs like Ashe. There are tons of places for us to get our T&A in this game. Is it really not OK for one of them to be androgynous when it makes sense?

I love to look at the boobies too...but it's really OK if sometimes a lady wears something that covers them completely.

Séraphiel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

I, for one, am quite excited for Quinn.

Nubasaurus Rex

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman.
I didn't need to know that ironstylus.

Adori Vita Vis

02-13-2013

Resurrect Gene McDaniels and have him voice Quinn, now people will be really confused.

BeastBox

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman.
IronStylus casts Midnight Bliss! It's super effective!

Chilly5

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastBox View Post
... ?

Not everyone considers their gender their defining characteristic. It's especially annoying in fiction because almost nothing passes the Bechdel test nowadays. Which is kind of a shame.

IronStylus isn't the one being a tad ignorant here.

It's not a recolour. Leona has no cape, isn't wearing leather, about the only part of the armor I see the same are the knees, etc.
Leona has a cape thing on her right shoulder that looks very similar to Quinn's.

BeastBox

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly5 View Post
Leona has a cape thing on her right shoulder that looks very similar to Quinn's.
It's not a cape; she's got a few layers of feathers running down her sword arm. Unless you're saying they're all capes.

Fuzzkat

02-13-2013

Quote:
I won't seriously believe that a professional artist can't draw armor differently for different characters. Because as it stands there is more than just one similarity between Quinn's concept art, and that of Iron Solari Leona. This has nothing to do with "style," it has everything to do with design choices.
Quote:
I mean...she smells a lot like Leona, but also some of Swain, and Vayne, even some Ashe as it is.
You're completely wrong. She's nothing like anyone you listed.

Here's an image of Quinn, Swain, Vayne and Ashe: http://i.imgur.com/PkHQ4Ay.jpg

Swain: Nothing about his clothing or physical appearance are similar to Quinn. Aside from birds, which he has an army of, and look nothing like Val. Very superficial similarity.
Vayne: Has a full cape, Quinn doesnt. Skin tight suit, high heels, and very little protective gear. Long flowing hair, goggles. Superficial similarity in crossbow. However every ADC that uses weaponry, either uses a gun or some kind of bow with the exception of Draven.
Ashe: Where do I start? She's wearing a skirt and open tunic. No protective gear. Full cape and hood. Her bow is made of ice.

Now we come to Leona vs Quinn: http://i.imgur.com/4tkmR8i.jpg

First of all, Iron Solari Leona is a SKIN, and skins are not CANNON. They are not intended to flesh out a character in any way. In the image you can see Leona default has nothing in common. She has metal armor, boob plates, giant shield, giant sword, entirely gold, with some draped fabric.

The ways that Iron Solari are similar are more or less practicality. Quinn has a half helmet for ONE reason: So you can see her hair. It is literally one of the only clues that she is female. The second similarity is the triangle tipped fabric. Talon has similar flaps. They're inspired by real armor, which helped the wearer move more freely whilst still having protection. The similarity is small, and consistent with how armor is "made" throughout Valoran.

As for tropes, like I said before, every ADC with weaponry either uses a gun or a bow. How they're different is in so many details apart from their weapon choice. One huge one being GAMEPLAY. We don't know how Quinn plays, I suspect once we see it all of these 'similarities' will be trivial at best.