Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

doomleika

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adumu View Post
Now, now, she's a Demacian, remember? ALL of them are in ridiculous armor. Garen's shoulders are gigantic, Jarvan looks like he's wearing one of his kills, Galio IS armor incarnate.

Who need's practicality when you can be shiny?
I disagree, Quinn does look too 'shiny & stylish' for a 'low tier demacian'. I expected a more 'practical' outlook not shiny elvish armor.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Bulbasaur

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quinn reminds me to Leona a lot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvin Augeri View Post
Quinn’s concept also suffers from the same problem that Ashe, Tryndamere, and Sejuani suffer, which is to say there’s a disconnect between their appearance and their background. The Freljordians are supposedly from a cold, harsh tundra atop the mountains, and yet I take one look at them and go, “Why are they wearing such skimpy garments? Wouldn’t they be freezing?”
I agree with the rest of what you said, but again, I feel the need to comment on this because it's very annoying to keep hearing--both as someone who lives in a colder area and as someone who loves Ashe and Sejuani.

For some reason people seem incapable of grasping the idea that people who grow up or are born into areas with different climates are usually less affected by said climates than visitors. As I said earlier, 40 degrees is t-shirt weather to me, and I only live in the northern US, never mind somewhere like Freljord.

There is nothing excessive at all in Freljordians wearing lighter clothing than you'd expect. And even Sejuani still has furs to protect her feet, etc.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Detahmaio

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerSundays View Post
SHIIIIIIIIiiit. I forgot we were playing 'Woman's Right's" 2013. Silly me.
that seems to be the agenda for a lot of people.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sisuwolf

Senior Member

02-13-2013

I will buy her. She looks sweet. Plus I like yelling DEMACIA. She does look very similar to Iron Solari Leona though, with Vayne's weapon and Swain's bird. My complaint is this. Seems Riot doesn't cater to the people that like the "good" champs. For example, Thresh comes out playing every role and so strong. Nami comes out super weak, and very, VERY restricted. They even went out of their way to make sure she could only be played support, but then Thresh is released also as a "support" but has no restrictions to make him stay "support" like Nami does. Why don't any of the "good" characters ever come out OP, or extremely exciting, or at least good looking. Just cause I like so called "good" champions, doesn't mean I don't want a bit of *** appeal, and excitement. I'm sure you sold way more Thresh than Nami. But please stop leaving the type of people like me, who like Nami more than Thresh, out in the cold. Not fair Riot. And too be fair, it's not a bad design, you are a good artist. But Demacia has needed a new champion for a while, when we finally get one, shes a bit bland. Would be perfect if there was a bit more focus on "good" champions, and by "good" I don't mean Demacian, I mean lighter colors, and happier attitudes, as opposed to an undead creature like Thresh, who doesn't fit the "good" description even though he is very cool. Get my point. She's not bad, just a bit disappointing when the number of "good" champions that are released is far fewer than the "bad boy" / "bad girl" champions.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tosin Loads

Senior Member

02-13-2013

I actually like Swayne alot. Can't wait until she is released.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fishous

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. That woman is a ranger, she's prepared for a fight, she's wearing thicker armor but not plate aside from key places where she would have to interact with an enemy's face.

Quinn was not designed to be in a skin-tight outfit. That was tried, and look, again, like a woman with a cape, in a skin tight outfit, which had been worked to death by Zyra, Syndra, Elise, and Diana. She does not care about looking feminine, she cares about utility. Baggy fatigues which have hardened pockets, knee pads to dig into the ground to take a shot, no exposed flesh to take a graze.

A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark. She has a gauntlet reminiscent of a falconer's glove which is armored because Valor has armor on his talons, to again, interact with an enemy's face. He can do damage to even thick leather.

Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.

She has what equates to kevlar, thickened material able to resist a blade. She has Demacian signifiers all over her, and bird motifs worked in. She is functional but fantasy.

Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way. A ranger, an elite, doesn't care whether you can tell they are a female or a male. They are interested in getting the job done, and having the gear to do so. We gave Quinn that gear and did not embrace the traditional route of the tight-clothed standard fantasy ranger. She's a new ranger for a new time. She hits the Demacian notes but plays off of them. That is the rational behind similar armor themes to Garen and Jarvan. That's how we establish she's in the military proper, but not standard in uniform.

For reference, take a look ad Deunan Knute from Appleseed. She has no boob or breastplates. She is completely covered with a half-helm. She has short hair. She is a bit more masculine, that's the goal. She is not a waif, but she is agile. She has small breasts, a tighter frame, but is fairly androgynous. That's what we wanted to portray, and I feel we hit that.

Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren. Different artists gravitate towards different styles and themes. When this champion came along, I opted to work on it because I felt I could bring a different take. Initially, she did start out as a traditional fantasy ranger, and actually was melee at the time. However, that was not the route we wanted to take. That was standard, it was conventional, and it was boring. I drove away from it and made something rugged in the new direction we're trying to take our style. Fantasy, but not traditional fantasy.

This is my take. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I, like all artists, design with particular design and form language as my signature. You might have noticed Zyra, Syndra and Elise were designed by the same artist. Sexy bodies, integrated clothing/biology, dark females. Same with artist for Nautilus, Ziggs and Lulu. Friendly shapes, opposing colors, offbeat characters. Just like game designers have similar flavor to their champions across the board artists have similar common expressions.

If you want a traditional archer, with a traditional fantasy get-up, with a traditional build, and a traditional design where female form expression trumps practically fighting the fight, I am not your guy, and I'm glad to admit that. That's my strength, that why I work on what I work on.

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.
No need to explain yourself. For every person that whines on this forum, a hundred thousand aren't posting because they're perfectly fine with the game. Quinn's perfectly fine. The people who are disappointed in someone else's design are most likely people who could never significantly come up with their own.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Animato

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark.
Dark Valkyrie Diana would like a word with you...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DemonHybrid23

Junior Member

02-13-2013

I think everyone's forgetting the fact that she's a new Demacian-affiliated character, and as such, should look like a Demacian.

Quinn looks like a Demacian. I see no problems here. She has a SIMILAR design to Vayne or Ashe (and in fact, that's the only con about her design), but she looks manly because she's part of an army built on discipline. None of you are complaining that Lux isn't only wearing a thong and a bra, and I don't see how this is any different.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StonerSundays

Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detahmaio View Post
that seems to be the agenda for a lot of people.
Better buy some WP then, so i can get my chance to voice how i think boobs are blah blah..as;jl////*sleep*