Anyone else a bit dissapointed with Quinn's design?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RisottoNero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
I really hope that all this whining doesn't delay her release because they have to make a new model.
Of course it's not going to delay it. It's already done.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CoolHandJack

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. That woman is a ranger, she's prepared for a fight, she's wearing thicker armor but not plate aside from key places where she would have to interact with an enemy's face.

Quinn was not designed to be in a skin-tight outfit. That was tried, and look, again, like a woman with a cape, in a skin tight outfit, which had been worked to death by Zyra, Syndra, Elise, and Diana. She does not care about looking feminine, she cares about utility. Baggy fatigues which have hardened pockets, knee pads to dig into the ground to take a shot, no exposed flesh to take a graze.

A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark. She has a gauntlet reminiscent of a falconer's glove which is armored because Valor has armor on his talons, to again, interact with an enemy's face. He can do damage to even thick leather.

Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.

She has what equates to kevlar, thickened material able to resist a blade. She has Demacian signifiers all over her, and bird motifs worked in. She is functional but fantasy.

Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way. A ranger, an elite, doesn't care whether you can tell they are a female or a male. They are interested in getting the job done, and having the gear to do so. We gave Quinn that gear and did not embrace the traditional route of the tight-clothed standard fantasy ranger. She's a new ranger for a new time. She hits the Demacian notes but plays off of them. That is the rational behind similar armor themes to Garen and Jarvan. That's how we establish she's in the military proper, but not standard in uniform.

For reference, take a look ad Deunan Knute from Appleseed. She has no boob or breastplates. She is completely covered with a half-helm. She has short hair. She is a bit more masculine, that's the goal. She is not a waif, but she is agile. She has small breasts, a tighter frame, but is fairly androgynous. That's what we wanted to portray, and I feel we hit that.

Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren. Different artists gravitate towards different styles and themes. When this champion came along, I opted to work on it because I felt I could bring a different take. Initially, she did start out as a traditional fantasy ranger, and actually was melee at the time. However, that was not the route we wanted to take. That was standard, it was conventional, and it was boring. I drove away from it and made something rugged in the new direction we're trying to take our style. Fantasy, but not traditional fantasy.

This is my take. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I, like all artists, design with particular design and form language as my signature. You might have noticed Zyra, Syndra and Elise were designed by the same artist. Sexy bodies, integrated clothing/biology, dark females. Same with artist for Nautilus, Ziggs and Lulu. Friendly shapes, opposing colors, offbeat characters. Just like game designers have similar flavor to their champions across the board artists have similar common expressions.

If you want a traditional archer, with a traditional fantasy get-up, with a traditional build, and a traditional design where female form expression trumps practically fighting the fight, I am not your guy, and I'm glad to admit that. That's my strength, that why I work on what I work on.

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.

Maybe I read it in the wrong tone, but this is the first time IronStylus has ever sounded like an ******* to me.

EDIT: I should probably clarify what I meant. I just meant that this is the first time I have seen IronStylus come off as irritated. Usually he handles criticism very well, this time he came off as passive aggressively mad. Just never seen that out of him.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avalon Bright

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNJuiCeSuCKa View Post
Maybe I read it in the wrong tone, but this is the first time IronStylus has ever sounded like an ******* to me.
Riot's taken a "Tough ****" stance on skins forever. The Steel Legion Lux is the first time in ages they acknowledged an issue.

Need I remind you of the complete and utter silence regarding everyone getting screwed over with Dark Valkyrie Diana.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StonerSundays

Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
You do realize you're in the minority, right?

By minority, I mean less than 100 people are complaining out of millions of players. Heck, even the ones on the forums outnumber the whiners.
Lol? Sure am the Minority, the minotirty that doesn't suck PArrot balls. Her design is boring, and very trashy. Even from her lore, i would expect a rough, not fully armored "ranger". Think Exiled Riven with a crossbow and bird. But this? this is simply Leona with a bird.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dryad Soraka

Senior Member

02-13-2013

NOPE
DOWNVOTEd


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apygoos

Member

02-13-2013

I personally enjoy her design thoroughly. She is one of J4s elite, that kind of armor looks appropriate to be along side the likes of him, Garen and Lux.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Evelynn Butt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

I want to know what universe people are coming from where they think that looks like a man. No man has hips like that.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hallows Evelynn

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronStylus View Post
Some quick context:

Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. That woman is a ranger, she's prepared for a fight, she's wearing thicker armor but not plate aside from key places where she would have to interact with an enemy's face.

Quinn was not designed to be in a skin-tight outfit. That was tried, and look, again, like a woman with a cape, in a skin tight outfit, which had been worked to death by Zyra, Syndra, Elise, and Diana. She does not care about looking feminine, she cares about utility. Baggy fatigues which have hardened pockets, knee pads to dig into the ground to take a shot, no exposed flesh to take a graze.

A functional Demacian helmet which adds sleekness is a design choice. It's Valkyrie, it's a motif, and it's a visual landmark. She has a gauntlet reminiscent of a falconer's glove which is armored because Valor has armor on his talons, to again, interact with an enemy's face. He can do damage to even thick leather.

Her hood is collapsed, she has essentially a themed parka with a bird motif, Functional but themed.

She has what equates to kevlar, thickened material able to resist a blade. She has Demacian signifiers all over her, and bird motifs worked in. She is functional but fantasy.

Regarding femininity, I was called out long ago when Sejuani released for making the reasoning that Sejuani might wear less clothing so that "you can tell she's female." That is an invalid argument and a sad excuse to design a particular way. A ranger, an elite, doesn't care whether you can tell they are a female or a male. They are interested in getting the job done, and having the gear to do so. We gave Quinn that gear and did not embrace the traditional route of the tight-clothed standard fantasy ranger. She's a new ranger for a new time. She hits the Demacian notes but plays off of them. That is the rational behind similar armor themes to Garen and Jarvan. That's how we establish she's in the military proper, but not standard in uniform.

For reference, take a look ad Deunan Knute from Appleseed. She has no boob or breastplates. She is completely covered with a half-helm. She has short hair. She is a bit more masculine, that's the goal. She is not a waif, but she is agile. She has small breasts, a tighter frame, but is fairly androgynous. That's what we wanted to portray, and I feel we hit that.

Honestly, I feel I owe no excuses. You know my history, you know my goals. I design the women in armor. I do not design the over-sexualized, the seductress, or the siren. Different artists gravitate towards different styles and themes. When this champion came along, I opted to work on it because I felt I could bring a different take. Initially, she did start out as a traditional fantasy ranger, and actually was melee at the time. However, that was not the route we wanted to take. That was standard, it was conventional, and it was boring. I drove away from it and made something rugged in the new direction we're trying to take our style. Fantasy, but not traditional fantasy.

This is my take. If you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I, like all artists, design with particular design and form language as my signature. You might have noticed Zyra, Syndra and Elise were designed by the same artist. Sexy bodies, integrated clothing/biology, dark females. Same with artist for Nautilus, Ziggs and Lulu. Friendly shapes, opposing colors, offbeat characters. Just like game designers have similar flavor to their champions across the board artists have similar common expressions.

If you want a traditional archer, with a traditional fantasy get-up, with a traditional build, and a traditional design where female form expression trumps practically fighting the fight, I am not your guy, and I'm glad to admit that. That's my strength, that why I work on what I work on.

I do not abide by the established or the expected, neither does Riot on the whole. It is not our job to abide, it's our job to challenge the convention and question traditional execution.

Thanks for the feedback. Thanks for understanding where we're coming from. This isn't just me. This is part of something larger. Pendulums will swing, you'll get your stripped down heroes. Quinn is not one of them and we're proud of that.

if that is your view, then with all due respect stop designing female champs and just make male champs. every champ you make looks male anyway which is NOT pleasing to the eye.

there is really no reason to turn a m ale champ into a female champs just by adding boobs. seriously, have you sat down and looked at the art for a good 5 mins? do you see how manly it looks?

if you want to talk about women in armor look at a game character named Samus aran. everyone thought she was a guy from start to end till the momen she took off her helmet. and what happened? we find out that under all of that armor she is actually a very femine andn beautiful women.

now lets look at quinn. she looks like a man. infact, if it wasnt for the boob chest plate SHE WOULD be a man. take off her helmet and she still would look like a man. nothing more to say about that.

to sum everything up one only needs to read this one sentence

Quote:
Quinn used to be a guy, then I turned her into a woman. -ironstylus
why didnt u just keep him as a guy? he actually would have looked pretty damn bad ass if he was a guy. now that he is a women, he mind as well be a cross dresser.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Signature13

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinzoku View Post
You're being completely unreasonable. We have 100+ champions in league. WHATEVER new they come up with even a 5 year old would be able to point as a "construct copy" made from x, y and z champions because of the sheer amount of material to work with.

Your post is like thousands of others. It's like pointing at a lego castle and saying "it's the same as that, that and that other single block there but just like fused together". It's an invalid and weak argument.

TL;DR: Quinn rocks, you suck.
I think you were too harsh, and you yourself are acting a bit narrow-minded.. 100+ champions? Humans have been around for thousands of years, amassing lore, fantasy, stories, ideas all throughout that time. Plenty of ideas for a champion count way beyond 100ish.

And I don't understand, how can you say champions such as Diana, Leona, Blitz, Anivia, Shaco, and many more are very similar to one another? Sure there may exist similar skill-sets, I agree that skill-sets may be more limited in order to mesh properly with the already existing content, but champion design is a realm that possesses far more free reign.
As for your lego thing, that's completely true. Which is why the Lego company also strives for innovation and newfound ideas for every one of its products.

As consumers, we're allowed to make comments and criticisms about Riot's content and actions, it's our opinion, and we should be heard. Why is there any reason to say another person "sucks"? Especially a fellow consumer? It's not like the OP was raging or ranting about the subject. He/she was only starting a friendly conversation about his/her disappointment regarding a new champion. If you can't be respectful enough to politely post your thoughts that may agree or disagree with the initially presented thoughts, then please refrain from posting.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballistixz View Post
if that is your view, then with all due respect stop designing female champs and just make male champs. every champ you make looks male anyway which is NOT pleasing to the eye.
Oh yeah, Leona is definitely one of the manliest looking characters I've ever seen. You're so full of ****.