Demacia Needs Heroes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FighterRanger

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelene View Post
Just noticed the posts saying 'insta buy' are all down-voted, why? I see no reason for it? Or is the community QQing because she isn't showing cleavage....... TT
I personally like her armor. It looks great.

But I feel like the teasers given from earlier letters strongly clash with a Leona armor-esque champion. I thought she was a woodsman, at home in the woods, tracking poachers or assassins or whatever, but her armor looks like that of a foot soldier. If Riot makes her lore that she gave up her life in the woods to soldier for the Demacian army, well all is well and good, but if Riot means to imply that she walks around the woods in plate armor hunting bad guys...well, that doesnt sync well with what a huntress should be.

Medroid

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFire360 View Post
Loving Valor's design though my only complaint is maybe the head gear from Quinn. For some reason Quinn would be much better without it giving a more feminine look.
I think not, then ppl would start complaining about her having short hair

Revelationz

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
So, since my thread got downvoted into oblivion, maybe I can get some thoughts here.

I am sad to say that I am less than impressed. Quinn basically looks like a slender Jarvan IV. In fact, I am hard-pressed to see any distinguishing female features. She seriously looks like she has a male face on a slender male's body. I can't see that she is female from a distance, and I feel like this missed the mark. Strong females are good, but the effect is lost if she doesn't look like she's a woman.

I mean, the character looks nice. But I was expecting something more feminine. She has a bad case of man-face. Short hair is okay. Armor is okay. But I still feel like you should be able to distinguish a champion's gender from a glance.

In fact, I showed her art to my friend who just started playing LoL and asked for observations. He couldn't tell she was female until I told him.

IronStylus, I am by no means advocating that you oversexualize this game's female characters. But when your female characters are indisinguishable from your male characters...perhaps it is time to tone back the armor.

Now, Leona and Kayle are among my favorite champions. That being said, they are still easily distinguished as female, either through their armor design or other physical features (Although in Kayle's case, her default skin is a bit ambigious. However, the angel wings makes it an easier sell.). Quinn lacks anything along those lines. The face guard/crown thingie obscures her upper head, and she has short hair. Her jaw line looks very manly, as well, and kinda feels...off, for lack of a better term.

But then again, this isn't even the splash art, this is merely a teaser. Who knows, I may be suprised when she is actually put on the PBE and I see some splash art. Or maybe her release skin will bring some of her feminine side out. I just like being able to tell my characters are female.

However, first impressions have killed a fair chunk of the exitement I had for Quinn. That being said, I'm still optimistic. I can't wait to see her release skin, splash art, and in-game model, meaning I have several opportunities to be suprised.

Anyway, just some first impressions on Quinn, and a few things I feel could be done better on any future skins for her. Any thoughts?
All women must look a certain way to be a woman, obviously. Just as all men should look like a cave man to be a man. Logic it goes miles.

Moarbid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzen kuden View Post
she looks like a man >:|
You have been watching too much anime... LoL

Evangelene

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermesX View Post
Am I the only one who is slightly disappointed in the concept art for Quinn? Purely from an artistic standpoint I love the design, color scheme, and theme for both Quinn and Valor individually....but to me they almost see TOO cohesive and far too similar

The thing I love about champions that have two components is that they meld together nicely theme-wise (Swain and his bird are a perfect example) while still maintaining their own individual personalities.
I wish there was just a little "something" to distinguish Quinn and Valor from each other just a little bit more.

Also, when I saw Quinn I immediately thought of Iron Solari Leona...very very similar.
Actually iron stylus mentioned in an earlier comment 'she is about as armored as iron solari leona'

PhoenixSlayer13

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Love how she looks. Love the ammo clip on her crossbow gun thing. And Valor is MAJESTIC.
Pretty much what I was gonna say. FRICKEN... MAJESTIC.

IS160eec3c807a7f5e4c2ad

02-13-2013

Not sure if boy or girl.

Finch Toast

02-13-2013

I'm happy with how she came out. True a down to earth skin seems like a great idea but there is nothing wrong with this released concept. She actually has an extremely pretty face in reference to the bottom right portrait. Though in the full body her face is less feminine. I'm sure the fact that she has short hair is making people feel like shes man-ish but as the poor of Demacia it makes sense for her not to have long flowing locks.

I believe she is in a leather chest piece and pants with metal greaves, waist guard and a singular pauldron. In retrospect this isnt too much armor its just doesnt fit your ideas and expectations of what she should be wearing. Lets not forget she is a soldier of Demacia.

The complaints about her weapons is unnecessary. Vayne uses a straight up crossbow. Twitch uses a three shot cross bow. Quinn's weapon is a bolt gun And uses Val. They are not the same.

Moarbid

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhunter228 View Post
So, since my thread got downvoted into oblivion, maybe I can get some thoughts here.

I am sad to say that I am less than impressed. Quinn basically looks like a slender Jarvan IV. In fact, I am hard-pressed to see any distinguishing female features. She seriously looks like she has a male face on a slender male's body. I can't see that she is female from a distance, and I feel like this missed the mark. Strong females are good, but the effect is lost if she doesn't look like she's a woman.

I mean, the character looks nice. But I was expecting something more feminine. She has a bad case of man-face. Short hair is okay. Armor is okay. But I still feel like you should be able to distinguish a champion's gender from a glance.

In fact, I showed her art to my friend who just started playing LoL and asked for observations. He couldn't tell she was female until I told him.

IronStylus, I am by no means advocating that you oversexualize this game's female characters. But when your female characters are indisinguishable from your male characters...perhaps it is time to tone back the armor.

Now, Leona and Kayle are among my favorite champions. That being said, they are still easily distinguished as female, either through their armor design or other physical features (Although in Kayle's case, her default skin is a bit ambigious. However, the angel wings makes it an easier sell.). Quinn lacks anything along those lines. The face guard/crown thingie obscures her upper head, and she has short
hair. Her jaw line looks very manly, as well, and kinda feels...off, for lack of a better term.

But then again, this isn't even the splash art, this is merely a teaser. Who knows, I may be suprised when she is actually put on the PBE and I see some splash art. Or maybe her release skin will bring some of her feminine side out. I just like being able to tell my characters are female.

However, first impressions have killed a fair chunk of the exitement I had for Quinn. That being said, I'm still optimistic. I can't wait to see her release skin, splash art, and in-game model, meaning I have several opportunities to be suprised.

Anyway, just some first impressions on Quinn, and a few things I feel could be done better on any future skins for her. Any thoughts?
I think what people are forgetting is uhhh... anatomy. Her body type and shape both say female. Long feminine legs and breasts are a big giveaway, so either your friend is blind or blind. She has plump lips, a thin cute nose and small feet, everything about this champion says female. The more I look at the picture the more things I can find that scream female. The less showing the more you can imagine, I think she looks graceful, precise and wise. I have a very slender boyfriend and even then the body types are SOOOoo distinguishable and I think they have done an amazing job doing so.
@IronStylus Another great job.

Shadou

02-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FighterRanger View Post
I personally like her armor. It looks great.

But I feel like the teasers given from earlier letters strongly clash with a Leona armor-esque champion. I thought she was a woodsman, at home in the woods, tracking poachers or assassins or whatever, but her armor looks like that of a foot soldier. If Riot makes her lore that she gave up her life in the woods to soldier for the Demacian army, well all is well and good, but if Riot means to imply that she walks around the woods in plate armor hunting bad guys...well, that doesnt sync well with what a huntress should be.
In my opinion I like her armor it shows her passion with Valor and they are a team instead of using the Demacian armor given, I thought about it too about her old life in the forest and she should be like that but then I try to imagine :/ kinda look too similar to ashe is she does, I know ashe lives in the snowy mountains but look at her woad skin and even her classic it'll be almost similar maybe

I love whatever IT works on because he always gives us a Woman who isnt just cute and sexy she is strong and a fighter, makes me happy as a woman myself since most guys in games always see women to be there to look cute and satisfy what men want to see.