For anyone who thinks Riot is bad, you haven't seen anything.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Crisco Moonshine

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamíel View Post
Riot has a long way to go before they can try to stand shoulder to shoulder with Blizzard.
2005 called, it misses you.

Raburi

02-12-2013

I think Riot's doing fine for the most part, but I figured I'd say what I personally dislike.

Despite the whole "we've heard you and you'll see changes" thing from a while ago regarding the visual representation of females, it's still happening. With Vi, it was subtle, but still there - platform shoes, corset, and "dat ass" in the splash artwork, hardly appropriate for a "in your face" kind of fighter. Nami's a mermaid, and it's appropriate, but her personality did not hit the mark - she feels more like a tomboy, like she'd suit a fin-mohawk and a jagged tail than her current appearance. I hear Quinn is completely covered, and because IronStylus is heavily involved I like to think she will be, but will her splash be sexualised for no reason, too? This is one of my main problems - no diversity in the visual representation of females. Yeah, you've got different body types, but they're all big breasted, pretty faces, skinny, etc. I wanna see more women like Sejuani(but this time have more clothing - but I understand that Sejuani was a lack of communication), Leona and Diana. Diverse women who are appropriately clothed and have a different body type. A P.S. addition to this is that men are also not very diverse - I want more men that read like Varus and Ezreal - lithe and slimmer than the usual representation of men in this game (i.e. big and bulky).

Secondly, I want to bring up an observation. All of the male mages in the game are evil, or, at least, not the type of "lawful good" we see from the Demacians. We've got Mordekaiser, Vladimir, Veigar, Gragas, Malzahar, Ryze, Kassadin, Brand, Fizz, Cho'Gath, Swain, Fiddlesticks, Kennen, Karthus... I'm sure I could go on, but as you see, they're all the "badass" type - where are the male Demacian (or at least noticably "good" aligned) mages? Like Keeper of the Light from DotA, or someone equivalent. I understand that there's so much more to explore with the "evil" or "badass" type of mage, but it's pretty boring now. Same sort of deal for supports - they're all female except for Taric and Nunu (and now Thresh). The rest (at least the rest of the "traditional" supports) are women. I want more female fighters, I want more male supports and mages.

I understand this isn't a creative design forum but I feel these problems ARE a problem with Riot - you seem to be, as a company, afraid to push the envelope as far as creative design goes. Where are the girly (i.e. "pretty") guys, or the butch girls? Why does everything read either as "human" or "monster" (Elise could have been an awesome dryder, but you took the route where she was both to appeal to people rather than taking a chance at something which would have been awesome...), and never inbetween (or like, VISIBLY "less than human, less than monster")?

crazyawesomecat

02-12-2013

This is probably not the best place to ask, but might as well since Morello is lurking around this thread.
Is Leblanc getting any changes/buffs anytime soon?
She seems weak now, especially when you get to late game she seems kind of useless(when the enemy team has 3-5 warmongs).

Bergtau

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archilles17 View Post
LOL the fact that you guys are even bothering to compare the likes of Riot to Blizzard is laughable.

Blizzard is in a whole different league and sits on a pedestal at the top of PC gaming.

The fact that you have the audacity to compare them (even if you were siding with Blizzard) is detrimental to the argument itself. No need. It's already known.
Until they screw up SC2 somehow. They then will have screwed their golden trinity of franchises and I will no longer care about their success as a company. Even if they don't I still kinda hope they go under.

NightFire666

02-12-2013

Blizzard still listens to the community better then Riot ever has or will.

Still waiting on

Akali nerfs, LB nerfs, Ashe rework. Eve fixes. Voli Fixes. Lee buffs. Blade of the Ruined King buff. True damage champions nerfed. Sion rework. And loads more.

Instead, throw out a new broken champion with a patch the creates more bugs, and sit back while the community wonders WHAT THE **** GUYS!!!

Oh. And you could do with having a community that doesn't suck the dick of the Devs. That's just sad to read.

TheEnygma

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
Until they screw up SC2 somehow. They then will have screwed their golden trinity of franchises and I will no longer care about their success as a company. Even if they don't I still kinda hope they go under.
Yes, let's put thousands of people out of a job because you didn't like D3 and WoW's direction. Good show, ol' sport

Backdoor Brian

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altruisa View Post
OGP is a much larger corporation than Riot, and they port Asian MMO's to NA, and thus cannot make changes to the game itself without consulting with the main developers, whereas to my knowledge each Riot group operates in tandem rather than one main group dictating the actions of others. Therefore Riot can respond to problems and needs much, much quicker than companies such as Nexon/ OGP etc.

Plus, Riot employees actually have a passion for the game they make. That makes a huge difference.

tl;dr can't compare OGP with Riot
But yeah, look at Red Stone for example (god I miss playing that) it switched from G1 which was already bad enough, to OGP which was WORSE. No updates after the Eternal weps and pets, and still no hide nor hair of anyhting later on, KR and JP RS respectively are two-three years ahead of NA/INTERNATIONAL RS which really... rustled my jimmies.

Taramonia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-12-2013

I appreciate all your comments Morello, but I would really like to ask you about something I feel has been ignored. No, I am not a developer so I don't have the first hand knowledge of the way resources are allocate and the work flow involved and am sympathetic to the idea that people don't really understand how things work in your business.

Why does there seem to be no focus on a replay system? It seems from an impartial (i.e. not a "I want my favorite champ skin riot pls" or "x is imba") view, that this should be a priority from a growth and player satisfaction standpoint. Most other concerns have been addressed and this seems to be a missing core feature from the game that has never received a response of even generic terms

TerraRising

02-12-2013

Emphasis in quotes is mine:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMomoTaro View Post
"The lesser of two evils is still evil"

Just saying i dont get why just because other companies are worse, must mean Riot is a godsend. I'm not saying the company is perfect, nor bad, but there are some thing that can be worked on. I mean like others have said If they are listening to the community then why haven't most/all the community skins idea been worked on? Take Ahri and Swain (two of my favorites) All great ideas, yet nothing has be noted about it. No clear cut of yes its being worked on, and judging by how long some of the ideas have been placed i doubt anything is being done about it, or else we would have gotten something by now.
It's something similar to "desperation gaming." Players are hungry for direct feedback concerning their favorite games that they'll accept anything as mana (points) from heaven.

Quote:
Then the recent Annie fiasco. Its been what? 1-2 weeks already and still nothing. I assume this was Riot's plan from the start since barely anyone talks about it now they'll just forget about it. Granted i was someone who really wanted to buy Goth Annie, but how quickly the people at Riot recalled it only to have it backfire on them again just shows they shouldnt go back on their word so quickly.
Hippalus had made a habit of making "decisions," then reversing them when the backlash hits, then ignoring the boomerang from those in support of his original decision and letting other Rioters deal with the fall out. Goth Annie was his fourth such debacle since becoming head of eCommerce.

Quote:
Then there is Tribunal, and the community in general. I have been playing this game for god knows how long. I have seen my fair share of toxic players, but in the recent years it seems like the growing population is more toxic than ever. People getting wrongfully banned, toxic players walking free. its a mess. i understand Tribunal isnt perfect, and it isnt going to be. I try to do my part by reporting toxic players, viewing tribunal cases, but it seems my efforts go unnoticed.
I can't speak on this too much, but you're also talking about an overall culture among gamers where some trolls and toxic players are celebrated for their behavior (Athene in LoL and CombatEX from SC2 spring to mind immediately, not to mention IWillDominate).

The Tribunal won't help with trolling so long as toxic players are able to open new accounts and continue being jerks.

AmbrosialD

02-12-2013

Personally I think Riot does a great job not only responding to players suggestions, but keeping us all interested with patches and new releases. Something people may not realize is that it's hard for Riot to keep up with the ever-changing 'state of the league' without causing more problems than they solve. For example, I'm sure tons of theorycrafting and testing went into nerfing the HP on giants belt and the cost warmogs, even though the players thought it was an obvious decision to make. That's because people haven't yet adapted to 'health is the best defensive stat', but as time goes on I've noticed fewer and fewer complains about warmogs because people have adapted.

My one comment would be that I think BotRK needs a QoL buff, and AP bursters need an item to counter health as well. Liandries is cool and all, but it's super strong on Teemo and Kayle and weak on actual casters (in terms of countering health stackers).

I guess I'm just annoyed that Riot has to delay or not even see really cool ideas because whiners want to complain about everything