For anyone who thinks Riot is bad, you haven't seen anything.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FreyDawg56

Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Pricing is contentious, because cheaper is always better in a player's mind. We decided to keep IP costs higher early to both add some exclusivity to a new champ (10x people locking in new champ sucks for all 10 people) and so we could lower old champion prices.

We've changed our approach because many players tend to feel old champions shouldn't be the same price point as new ones, so we did what we needed to do to fix that. I don't think "focused on profits" is fair at all or we would never do anything free, we'd never lower prices, and we'd gouge without engagement. I sure as Hell wouldn't have an 8-man live balance team doing an item rework and balance if I wanted to focus on money. We sure wouldn't do what we're doing what we're doing with eSports if it was about cash. If we're a company that's actually focused on all maximizing profits, we're freaking terrible at it.

I know it's the feeling you're speaking to, but honestly, the comparisons cited in the original post SHOW what something focused on profits look like, and it's not even in the ballpark of Riot.
Hey Morello, speaking of money,

Could you implement an infinite gold mode. Just make it something you can allow in custom games. It has to be only a few clicks away.
You can even charge $5 worth of Riot points for it. I would pay for this and I'm sure many others would too.

If you refuse to, could you give a reasonable reason why.

There has been a lot of support for it.
Thanks for reading.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...nite+gold+mode


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dimwitt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
An earnest question, what makes you feel that way?
While i dont necessarily feel the same sentiments as others in this thread i'll answer your question with a question.

Do you believe Riot is currently doing its fullest to meet the expectations of the average userbase. That is to say (excluding E-sports) does this product in your opinion feel as whole as you'd want it to be as a normal player or does it feel like its lacking in areas ?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pryotra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Pricing is contentious, because cheaper is always better in a player's mind. We decided to keep IP costs higher early to both add some exclusivity to a new champ (10x people locking in new champ sucks for all 10 people) and so we could lower old champion prices.

We've changed our approach because many players tend to feel old champions shouldn't be the same price point as new ones, so we did what we needed to do to fix that. I don't think "focused on profits" is fair at all or we would never do anything free, we'd never lower prices, and we'd gouge without engagement. I sure as Hell wouldn't have an 8-man live balance team doing an item rework and balance if I wanted to focus on money. We sure wouldn't do what we're doing what we're doing with eSports if it was about cash. If we're a company that's actually focused on all maximizing profits, we're freaking terrible at it.

I know it's the feeling you're speaking to, but honestly, the comparisons cited in the original post SHOW what something focused on profits look like, and it's not even in the ballpark of Riot.
The crux of why most old champs shouldn't be the same price as new champs could possibly be best demonstrated in powerlevels. Lets take Sion and Vi as examples. Why, on gods green earth, would you choose to purchase Sion, if Vi was the EXACT same price. The answer should be pretty convuluted, but in reality, it's because Vi is a)powerful, B) is fun to play, and C) doesn't have a kit that a 2 year old could instantly understand, while Sion is A) Situationally powerful, B) Pretty simple, and C) Literally anyone who has ever done good with a bruiser has mastered Sion, even if they have never played him.

Older champs simply don't have the power levels, whether that be in damage or utility, that newer ones do. And the ones that do compare are either A)broken, and need fixing, or B) not really something the community really feels should be cheaper for a reason other than "cheaper is always better". Kog is a great example of this in my eyes. If his price was never reduced, I honestly don't think that many would have a reason outside of the reason of "well you did it to newer champs, why not Kog?" Honestly, this thought is entirely based on the fact that you don't really focus on fixing new champs. It's not a laziness issue, it's priorities. I agree that a scorched earth policy is bad, but would it be bad to work on fixing more than one old champ at a time? I mean, you have a pool of brand new champs, so what is the reasoning against a pool of reworks?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GuiltyGecko

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Morello, while you're here, can you say anything about Karma's rework? I am afraid you guys will be making her work more with Ranged ADC instead of Melee ADC and Bruisers like she currently does.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RaydioG

Junior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXLightRainXx View Post
Coulnt have said it better, i mean, play WoW, SC2, or visit battle.net, you will instantly notice the services are way better than in LoL, the troubleshooting guide is incredible and the support Blizzard employes give you just completely destroys Riots.
Also the in Blizzards community, players respect each other much more than here, and the importance that Blizzard gives to its feedbacks is amazing.
Just go check stats. Blizzard>Riot
What is the point of a post like this? It's not constructive and we don't need anymore Blizzard vs. Riot/LoL vs. SC style circlejerks.

I mean, I understand the point you're trying to make but the way you're making it seems kind of inflammatory.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InertBlowfish

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
"What about my champ balance specifics" is not a derail I'm going to focus on in this thread, for the reasons I pointed out earlier.
The only thing I begrudge Riot on in the last 2-3 years I've been playing is the new League ranked system you just brought out and the way you brought it out.

The elo system was horrid, and the new system is a vast improvement in theory. But in practice it sucks with the current LP clamping and the ease with which you can be demoted.

I know you're working on those problems, so that's cool; but the fact that I have to explain the whole system and why he is only gaining small amounts of LP and that elo essentially still exists in the form of MMR to my brother (who is a non-forum goer) is rather sad.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

Senior Member

02-12-2013

I'm sorry, I lost most of my faith in them when they decided to remain silent regarding the situation for people playing in Oceania.

I'm not sure if they are doing some kind of protectionism for the players in NA, or just outright discriminating us. Even Brazilians got their own server, whether they want to play on it or not.

We aren't even demanding that they give us a server for free. what we wanted to know was if there were plans, or even if they have reviewed it and found it not viable/ no profitable. making a thread seeking input on the situation 1 year ago and be absolutely silent on the issue since then is downright demeaning.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Titiln

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
already has a rework in the works


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

02-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
We could do more to optimize this though if we wanted - it would just hurt players and the game to do it, so we won't.

Engagement equating to business success DOES keep things honest in my mind though, which I love.
I think we could derail a little bit though. At least, i don't have any questions/concerns about Riot as a company. You have good employees, your player support is wonderful, and I haven't really had any problems. The only problems I've seen so far are stopping hackers, and that doesn't happen every day.

On the other hand, though...I've seen some really slow replies to hacking incidents. How do you improve upon that? Sounds like a difficult problem to tackle.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xengre

Senior Member

02-12-2013

In regards to everything... Riot is pretty damn good. They are no Ragnarok Online quality, but hell... I don't think any other game is.

The only real issue I see with Riot is the lack of attention to the bug forum and the gross amount of bugs that end up in the game and go unnoticed or dealt with for very very very significant periods of time. That and server performance occasionally. Riot is among the worst MMOs on the market, and frankly... in history when it comes to sheer number of bugs and potentially game breaking bugs/crashes/etc. This does not factor in release/official opening of MMO games because some games did so bad at this that they literally died due to it (though Riot did have some dark times with near 2 weeks downtime, etc. in beta with virtually no communication... they have immensely improved since then for the most part). I can say on a huge plus side that they have very little in ways of cheating and hacking at this game. No speed hacks, aim bots, 9999999 damage hacks, invulnerability hacks, etc.

Overall, pretty solid. A little more attention to the bug section and handling bugs in a timely manner/introducing fewer bugs in general and they are golden.

Community is its own issue though Riot is working to make it a better one, albeit slowly.

EDIT: I should make one further mention. Riot has in the past on numerous occasions released blatantly OP champions that have been so broken they required an immediate hotfix within a short period of their release... champions so broken that there is no way to dismiss not realizing how severe the issue is and why they were allowed to go live in their state... which leads to the conspiracy of making a quick influx of cash from the player base due to the new champion before toning them down. This... has been a problem in the past, though this has been far less significant for a few months (thank god). Hopefully we will not see this again in the near future.