Imaginary numbers was probably the most bull**** thing...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThisTimeForREALS

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
This, and engineering (well, based on physics). I really enjoyed complex numbers and complex analysis but I have absolutely no use for it anymore.

The way that it is taught makes it sound like it is "another number system." It really isn't, it's just that we focus on real numbers which are a subset of complex numbers.

Also, they should not be called "imaginary" numbers. That makes it sound like they mean nothing; they don't exist. They do exist, just not in the narrow-minded field of reals.

Perhaps a lot of age old questions that can't be answered in the reals will someday be answered in the complex field.
This Time, It's For REALS

cottonycloud

Golux

Adjudicator

02-04-2013

If you study math for a long, long time you might come to the conclusion that perhaps the imaginary numbers in fact don't exist. But then maybe neither do the real numbers. It's pretty subtle, exactly what it means for a mathematical object to "exist".

The integers are OK, though. And fractions. Well, relatively OK. (Pesky Goedel!)

Peacë

02-04-2013

You should read up on virtual particles, which are effectively, imaginary particles .

Chasavaqe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

9/10s of the stuff you learn in high school is not applicable to your future. However, it varies from person to person, and high school classes are a great way to find out your likes and dislikes. For example, I'm studying Spanish and education. Learning imaginary numbers and calculus would be useless to me in my profession, but learning about Hispanic authors would not. The exact opposite could be said about an engineer or physicist.

Useless to you? Maybe.
Useless to all? Definitely not.

Mich567

02-04-2013

Is this the time for a joke? No?
http://files.sharenator.com/1893math...-35370-580.jpg

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

02-05-2013
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonycloud View Post
This is really interesting, thanks.

I forgot about residue calculus which is probably super useful. I learned about it at the end of Complex Analysis. Lets you take limits and find integrals of certain quantities much faster than by using integration by partial fractions.

Drejer

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
This is really interesting, thanks.

I forgot about residue calculus which is probably super useful. I learned about it at the end of Complex Analysis. Lets you take limits and find integrals of certain quantities much faster than by using integration by partial fractions.
Mmm yes, I understood this.

NinetyNineTails

02-05-2013

You can't get **** done in electrical engineering without i. If you're reading this post, you're using an integrated circuit, and i is no more imaginary than your breakfast.

USnip

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

it actually all fits together beautifully. the way numbers aren't even remotely symmetrical... they're like a clock that goes backwards. It's gorgeous. I think of the complex number field as like a swirl of colors now, I can't help it.