Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kormex

02-05-2013

While you're here Zileas,
I've been working towards trying to get a job at Riot for about 6 months now, and I'm wondering if I'm going about this the right way. I read before that experience/significant exploits are one of the biggest things you look at. In response to that, I bought myself a book on game design and started working on making my own game with the Starcraft 2 map editor. Since then, I've decided to go a little simpler and make a custom campaign instead (after all, level design comes before game design). If I finish the campaign and feel I still need more practice, I'll look in to making an actual custom game at that point.
Is this something Riot would consider good experience? Is there anything else I should look in to doing as well? School environments have never been good for me (I dropped out of High School after my Junior year and got a GED instead) so any collage I do would most likely not be full time. If I were to take just 1 to 3 classes, which ones would you consider the most useful?

Aithòs

02-05-2013

@Zileas I didn't see a list anywhere on your career page of who handles resumes/cover letters for each area. I'm particularly interested in game design and software development but if there is a page I missed feel free to direct me there. I am a strong believer in knowing who is looking at your information and making sure it is addressed properly so I'd appreciate the help. I'm sure you work with the design side so how do you prefer to be addressed? Thanks.

The Panda

02-05-2013

Hi Zileas, I don't really know the American education system (French Canadian here) but in the next few years (2-3) I will have a diploma in Communication&Politics (baccalaureate) + a minor in Video Games (both from the University of Montreal). I love League Of Legends and I do a lot of champions and items designs on my own (I've never posted em on the forum). I wonder if you think it would be a good start to get an internship in Design at Riot (In 2 or 3 years). Thanks

Mikhal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Haha... I just looked through my email and reread the email I sent you 2 years ago.

I wish I had sent an application back then, I was scared and missed the deadline because I didn't know where to sign up (/derped out).

I hope I don't make the same mistake this time around. It's kind of embarrassing though to find that Skarner, while effective in the jungler, was never used top lane and that Xerath never saw much competitive play.

xSunandmoonx

02-05-2013

Applied to the Technical Game Designer position, I hope I hear back from you guys!

MarryDingoes

02-05-2013

Hello, Zileas, I have a question. On our application, do we have to explain our GPA?

I am student from UC Berkeley, one of the top schools for programming, but unfortunately, my GPA is low due to my horrible luck of taking the worse professors (as in, some of them were really harsh; anybody here know the notorious Hilfinger?) and changing my major from Biology (was intended pre-med as well), so I had to cram all of these CS classes during my last years in Berkeley. Does my GPA lessen the chances of my application when I apply for a job position/intern?

Cidat

02-05-2013

Dear Zileas (and Riot!)

I just have a few comments and questions:

I'm an old-skool video game and table top gamer. I know C++ and can read it fairly fluently, but Im a horrible code monkey. However, I am an excellent writer, story teller, and game mechanics designer. So, Ive played off my strengths and have spent the last few years working on a universal table top dice system that allows players to play any kind of genre or theme as a table top RPG, like Dungeons and Dragons, Legend of the Five Rings, Call of Cuthullu, GURPS, etc. (and with the game I engineered players can even take a movie, book, a video game, whatever it is they like) and play a table top version of it (even a League of Legends themed table top RPG would be possible)!

To complement my dice system and core rule book, I created a separate steam punk themed supplement to go with the dice system. I have written it, hired the artists, and graphic designers with the purpose was to show that I can stand out from the crowd, but its not done, and Im literally on the cusp of printing a hard copy for the public.

I originally intended to surprise Riot with a hard copy of both game books and an application. So, my questions are:

1) Would you prefer me to send a finished product? Or would a sample showing the book cover and some interior pages suffice? Im a bit of a perfectionist, so it just makes my gut wrench to take a risk of displaying an unfinished product. However, I didnt want to miss this call for hiring new game designers. But, at least if I send samples they would be gorgeous.

2) If I send a hard copy, what address can I send it too? Ive put a lot of love and time into my books, and I would break my heart if it got lost, misplaced, or just tossed in the trash without anyone looking at it.

Thank you!

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-05-2013
57 of 57 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kormex View Post
While you're here Zileas,
I've been working towards trying to get a job at Riot for about 6 months now, and I'm wondering if I'm going about this the right way. I read before that experience/significant exploits are one of the biggest things you look at. In response to that, I bought myself a book on game design and started working on making my own game with the Starcraft 2 map editor. Since then, I've decided to go a little simpler and make a custom campaign instead (after all, level design comes before game design). If I finish the campaign and feel I still need more practice, I'll look in to making an actual custom game at that point.
Is this something Riot would consider good experience? Is there anything else I should look in to doing as well? School environments have never been good for me (I dropped out of High School after my Junior year and got a GED instead) so any collage I do would most likely not be full time. If I were to take just 1 to 3 classes, which ones would you consider the most useful?
Making something cool that is then enjoyed by people is absolutely the way to go. What you are doing sounds great! Eventually, you will have something that people enjoy playing, and at that point, you have a good basis for an application a lot of places, be it to us, to Blizzard, or to someone else.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Zileas,

User Research is something I've always adored from you guys over at Riot. The work that Dr. Lyte does is simply phenomenal, and something I'm consistently interested in. Currently, I'm not enrolled in school, but would it be possible to enroll into a college for the state of California to acquire the same benefits? Obviously, I can't enroll during the summer semester (especially before March 16th.) I also don't feel I can adequately get my butt off the ground to get into classes before then. But would that still apply to internship? It's a plan of mine to move over in the Santa Monica area to go to school anyways, but time/finances here in Texas only allow for so much wiggle room.

All that said, is it still viable to consider applying even though I don't fit immediate qualifications? Or should I reserve myself until I actually get over to Cali to apply at Riot?

Thanks.

Majoleine

02-05-2013

Zileas,

How accepting is Riot of people who really focused hard in school and only did a couple jobs/internships/volunteer work (A lot of volunteer work rofl) instead of all these years of experience right out of college? I'm considering applying for something along the lines of player support once I graduate, but I feel that because I haven't had any work outside of my impending Bachelor degree that I won't have much of a shoe-in as other people.

I'm an English major dedicated to communication and public relations is something I'm desperately passionate about, and I'd love to know if pure passion/hard work can pull of a job with a stellar resume or if I won't even be looked out until I have other experience (Such the catch 22 with jobs - can't get a job until you have experience but I can't get experience if I don't have a job!)