Hiring Game Designers, Lead Designers, Design Director, and of course Interns

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DirtySlanderer

02-05-2013

So Zileas, how do you guys feel about graduate-level students? I was browsing the careers page and noticed that a couple of your summer internships are "graduate-level only." Is that something that will weigh in your favor when applying to non-"graduate level" internships? I am currently in my 2nd year of law school, but I've noticed there are no legal internships available.

xCezium

02-05-2013

Well I've been set on applying and I want to know how good of a shot I have :/ Maybe I can get a little insight here

I'm a junior at Pomona College (not Cal Poly Pomona, the actual Pomona College) majoring in Astrophysics. I've wanted to go into game design/game balance basically my entire life (even though I never really realized I could until about 6 months ago), and I feel like League would be an amazing place to get an internship- I'm currently Div 3 Platinum, played over 4000 games (around 2k hours or so I think), along with plenty of other gaming experience. I run the team coordination for my college team (not match set up, but actual in game strategies and stuff). I've spend plenty of time analyzing and thinking through stuff, while discussing game balance with my friends constantly. I've also created a pretty sweet code that (not including abilities) pretty accurately models damage output of all AD Carries (python code, I really want to release it to the general public but I'm not sure how to go about doing it and I want some people to edit it for me =P). I don't think my grades are exceptional (around a B average) but I think I'm incredibly passionate about the game and I put so much effort into the things I love to do (like League). I also live about an hour away from Santa Monica, so I'm pretty close right now.

I guess I just want to know if I have a shot. Would someone with my qualifications at least get an interview?

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Zileas, I graduated from public university, but I wanted to get into coding and software development, so Now I'm taking classes full time at a college nearby in the effort to gain certificates in software development. Am I eligible for apply for Internship? Or not?

The Unchosen One

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloaknDagger222 View Post
Really, really disappointed that you have to be in school for this.

Riot, guys, the education bubble is huge. It's prohibitively expensive to attend college, and I don't understand the artificial restriction of currently possessing the resources to attend undergrad or grad school. Talent isn't always where money is.

Your FAQ said you wanted people who blazed trails.

Can you prove it?
I imagine that if you turn in a portfolio and they are sufficiently impressed, school or not, they will keep you at least on file. Generally creative positions rely less on education and more on portfolio.

Some companies like to use degrees as an indication that the potential new hire at least has the drive to complete a (hopefully) fairly rigorous set of tasks and succeed. Can't speak for Riot because I haven't really looked into any positions there but as a currently employed designer I can speak somewhat to what the industry is looking for.

IS14696195e1336cdef530a

02-05-2013

God wish i could work for riot
but I'm in 8th grade and i live in Denmark and my English suck ;_;

well.. Our future will be bright- Jayce
hope he's right

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-05-2013
54 of 57 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloaknDagger222 View Post
Really, really disappointed that you have to be in school for this.

Riot, guys, the education bubble is huge. It's prohibitively expensive to attend college, and I don't understand the artificial restriction of currently possessing the resources to attend undergrad or grad school. Talent isn't always where money is.

Your FAQ said you wanted people who blazed trails.

Can you prove it?
Go examine the 'assistant game designer' position.

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-05-2013
55 of 57 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySlanderer View Post
So Zileas, how do you guys feel about graduate-level students? I was browsing the careers page and noticed that a couple of your summer internships are "graduate-level only." Is that something that will weigh in your favor when applying to non-"graduate level" internships? I am currently in my 2nd year of law school, but I've noticed there are no legal internships available.
We sometimes take on game design interns out of law school ;p

Zileas

VP of Game Design

02-05-2013
56 of 57 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS1e1336cdef530a View Post
God wish i could work for riot
but I'm in 8th grade and i live in Denmark and my English suck ;_;

well.. Our future will be bright- Jayce
hope he's right
Haha, you are young, lots of time to get where you want to go. May as well learn English now, it's easy when you are young if you use it every day.

Go play through a single player RPG with an English dictionary, and go from there.

Snake XT

02-05-2013

I gotta get my sh*t together and do something interesting in the gaming industry. this is where you get carried.

DirtySlanderer

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zileas View Post
We sometimes take on game design interns out of law school ;p
Thanks for the response

By the way, your counter-trolling threads are sorely missed. I haven't seen one in a long time