Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
You're overreading into it. In traditional MOBA, this is where the whole game is. Obviously this still matters a lot in League and we like that, we just want it to not be the entire focus.

I don't like "first mistake loses the game" design because it removes a lot of the other possible decisions. It's the same reason I don't want to play an FPS with only sniper rifles.
Have you not seen Jax, Elise, Darius, ANY TOP LANE CHAMP?

Ralik098

02-05-2013

Quote:
I got a few hours left. Gotta climb that Silver V =/
Any chance I could get on your friends list to spectate you? =p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just me Soraka View Post
Have you not seen Jax, Elise, Darius, ANY TOP LANE CHAMP?
I'm not sure this is a problem with the champions so much as it is a problem with the map. Top lane being so long makes it stupidly easy to zone someone out when you gain an advantage.

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralik098 View Post
Any chance I could get on your friends list to spectate you? =p

I'm not sure this is a problem with the champions so much as it is a problem with the map. Top lane being so long makes it stupidly easy to zone someone out when you gain an advantage.
No, it's the champions that become unstoppable because of their kits and they way they scale with items, either by becoming too tanky from building straight damage, or by doing damage while building straight tank.

Scullzomben

02-05-2013

I just want to start my post by saying that LoL in comparison to pretty much every other game I have played is a godsend in terms of what I like most from devs - Communication. Just look at the dev tracker. Sure, there tends to be a lot of nonsense posts from reds, but you will also usually see some cool dudes getting some really deep and insightful information to the game (looking at Xyph, but of course there are others).

My current game is Swtor. The game is good, great in fact, but the developers lack communication and are so far from understanding what their players want it isn't funny. Their dev tracker in comparison is tiny. You only see "Maintenance/No Maintenance" posts, a weekly round-up of community submitted events, dev interviews (Which boil down to "We have something coming soon you will love!" answers that bring no new information), and general "This thread has run its course" messages. Heck, even massive bug reports dont get responses from devs. A community manager takes the complaint to a dev, who gives a response back to the community manager to post in an almost robotic template, and since there is that extra exchange of information, there has been a few times where the end result has in fact been totally wrong.

But on these forums the devs actually feel like people. And that's the best thing a gaming company can do, is have open communication channels for the community to chat with the developers.

Raptamei

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
As I understand it, in DOTA, you can run across people with a 4 second stun, and to counter it you kill that person hard and often so they are hopelessly behind on gold and levels and you save up for an item that makes you immune to cc and laugh as they burnt their tiny mana pool on something useless...

Whereas in Lol, a champion has a slow skillshot that snares for seconds if you get hit, but you can hide behind minions... but wait! the minions are melting on a AoE DOT, and will die in 3... 2... Where to dodge to?
Tl;dr Dota is strategic, LoL is tactical.

I do think LoL would benefit from Dota's asymmetric goals: a team with 3 hard carries and a team with 1 carry and several gankers have completely different objectives (win game asap -vs- turtle for an hour). In LoL no matter if you pick early game champions or late game champions, the game always plays out the same way: 15 minutes of laning, then a few tower sieges, teamfights, and a game-deciding fight at baron at about 30-40 minutes in.

If you try to win too early, the enemy can just defend every tower you siege until they are ready for teamfights. If you try to turtle too long, the enemy will force a baron fight and if you can't contest baron it's gg.

Missing something imo.

Izzach

02-05-2013

can we get a fix on graves smokescreen please? its been giving people fps issues forever.

the last time it was this bad was old tarics ult particles (which you eventually fixed)

Super1Shadow

02-05-2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g931LC43MQ

Shaggy are the summoners
Fred is LoL
Scoob is Riot

ThePaprikaKiller

02-05-2013

Morello, what are you thinking of denying as tool to manipulate the creepline? Even if both sides last hit perfectly, the creepline tends to quickly shift in either direction because the minions tend to have somewhat random focus.
You as a player then cannot really do anything to move it back in the direction of your own tower, you can only move it away. However if you could deny, or at least hit your own creeps, you can move the creepline to your tower.

Rakaydos

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePaprikaKiller View Post
Morello, what are you thinking of denying as tool to manipulate the creepline? Even if both sides last hit perfectly, the creepline tends to quickly shift in either direction because the minions tend to have somewhat random focus.
You as a player then cannot really do anything to move it back in the direction of your own tower, you can only move it away. However if you could deny, or at least hit your own creeps, you can move the creepline to your tower.
That's intentional.

Imagine a strong 2v1 toplane that forced top to tower hug... and pulled the minion wave ack toward their own tower, allowing them to zone the solo lane completely out of XP without leaving themselves significantly open to jungle ganks.

Super Explosion

02-05-2013

Quote:
Innovation is a powerful thing to have, but it's not the only thing that defines a well-crafted game.
WoW was innovative in its methods of refinement.

In point of fact, if your game is not innovative at all, you've made the same exact game as before.

It's a design challenge to innovate the right areas to an optimal degree.