Man... Sion's model is terrible.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

dustwind

02-05-2013

Although I get the whole 'he doesn't look like a mage' thing, wouldn't the same argument apply to Katarina aswell? She's an assassin, and her kit plays out like one as well, which is more suited to AD etc.

Pessimist

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

mission accomplished

CiaphasCainX

02-05-2013

My issue with Sion is that his whole.. Everything has no sense of unity. Or theming. Or like.. Anything. Allow me to elaborate in the hopes that Ames reads this and it helps him in some way, because his avatar is Jayce and that automatically makes him awesome. Here's some things i've observed about Sion:

1) Sion looks nothing like a zombie. Or any kind of undead. At all. I understand Riot's choice on direction is rather unconventional undead as Morello once stated on the topic of Hecarim and Mordekaiser during the TT reboot, but I mean.. What the heck is Sion supposed to be? He looks like a very awkward, green version of Dr Mundo. Only without the good lines. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but there needs to be a commitment one way or another towards his theme. Either he's the undead warrior he's supposed to be, and he should look like it, or he's not and he needs a heavy visual change. Personally, I'd rather see the Zombie-ness emphasized, as its a rather uncommon archetype in league right now.

2) His ability visuals are.. Lackluster at best and downright awkward and confusing at worst. His stun is a red blob. His shield is a weird version of Jarvan's Golden Aegis. Why are this abilities red? Is there some reason for that? Why do none of his abilities not play graphically off either his undead nature or his axe? Why not a phantom that stuns people, or a swirling shroud of souls for a shield?

3) And his ultimate. Now, this has one problem. It needs to be more visual.. Present. As an opponent, half the time i'm not even sure he's using the damn thing in the chaos of a fight, and that's downright irritating. When i'm playing Sion, my ultimate doesn't really have that inspiring gravitas that most ultimates have. When you Darius dunk you see the slam, when you Kayle ult there's a glimmering golden orb, all of that. Even Sivir has a pulsing aura. Sion? Little swirly baby ghosts.

Don't know if this helps any Ames, but I hope it does.

EDIT: Oh and one last thing. His axe. For the love of all that is holy, give his axe more impact. Look at Darius or Olaf. They've got the right of it. Darius' axe swings both look and feel heavy and powerful given the giant nature of his weapon. Olafs feel very much like a quick set of chops repeatedly, as befits the small nature of his waraxes and fighting style. Sion? He just kinda.. Whacks away at people. Awkwardly. That could use some work.

selenvar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibonga View Post
Way ahead of you
Attachment 607138
axe cop ftw.

MidWKing

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Sion definitely needs some love. What would your expectation for an update be? His current (typical) gameplay doesn't really lend itself to 'beefy guy with axe'. Do you think we'd need to change the kit or visuals in order to get something cohesive, or would you be satisfied with a straight improvement of his looks with his current abilities?
Id like to see his kit changed too.

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

02-05-2013
4 of 7 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaphasCainX View Post
My issue with Sion is that his whole.. Everything has no sense of unity. Or theming. Or like.. Anything. Allow me to elaborate in the hopes that Ames reads this and it helps him in some way, because his avatar is Jayce and that automatically makes him awesome. Here's some things i've observed about Sion:

1) Sion looks nothing like a zombie. Or any kind of undead. At all. I understand Riot's choice on direction is rather unconventional undead as Morello once stated on the topic of Hecarim and Mordekaiser during the TT reboot, but I mean.. What the heck is Sion supposed to be? He looks like a very awkward, green version of Dr Mundo. Only without the good lines. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that, but there needs to be a commitment one way or another towards his theme. Either he's the undead warrior he's supposed to be, and he should look like it, or he's not and he needs a heavy visual change. Personally, I'd rather see the Zombie-ness emphasized, as its a rather uncommon archetype in league right now.

2) His ability visuals are.. Lackluster at best and downright awkward and confusing at worst. His stun is a red blob. His shield is a weird version of Jarvan's Golden Aegis. Why are this abilities red? Is there some reason for that? Why do none of his abilities not play graphically off either his undead nature or his axe? Why not a phantom that stuns people, or a swirling shroud of souls for a shield?

3) And his ultimate. Now, this has one problem. It needs to be more visual.. Present. As an opponent, half the time i'm not even sure he's using the damn thing in the chaos of a fight, and that's downright irritating. When i'm playing Sion, my ultimate doesn't really have that inspiring gravitas that most ultimates have. When you Darius dunk you see the slam, when you Kayle ult there's a glimmering golden orb, all of that. Even Sivir has a pulsing aura. Sion? Little swirly baby ghosts.

Don't know if this helps any Ames, but I hope it does.

EDIT: Oh and one last thing. His axe. For the love of all that is holy, give his axe more impact. Look at Darius or Olaf. They've got the right of it. Darius' axe swings both look and feel heavy and powerful given the giant nature of his weapon. Olafs feel very much like a quick set of chops repeatedly, as befits the small nature of his waraxes and fighting style. Sion? He just kinda.. Whacks away at people. Awkwardly. That could use some work.
This is what I got from that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZb8Mzct1Rc

(I kid, good points)

CiaphasCainX

02-05-2013

Good Ames, because that's what I was going for. He needs less of all of what he is now, and more of all of what he should be. Also, you just like.. Dragon Trolled me. I don't know if that's a thing, but if it isn't, it should be.

Food4Thought

02-05-2013

Sion was my very FIRST favorite champ :O

and if you ruin his sayings, I'll /wrists...maybe even record and put on youtube cause I'll be that upset..

When league first started, it was laid back, not as serious...there was a lot more of a comedic feel to the game (champs/skins/whatnot)
Now, you can only whisper it, any more and it will disappear...it is that fragile. And I fear it will not survive season 3.

Sion, and a VERY FEW other examples still exist...but Sion represents this to his CORE.

PLEASE dont change him too much, keep him lulsyyy

Chilly5

02-05-2013

Quote:
Hm. Okay- good feedback! I wonder if the problem is that he's very dated, so it's hard to make that connection? Or is it just that the original theme wasn't executed very well?

It's in the shop. You have to buy it first. What kind of game do you think this is, giving out free hats?
The original theme is not executed well.
His "theme" is kind of all over the place.
He's a legendary undead warrior zombie with an axe....got'cha...
He's got a Schwarzenegger accent....er okay...
His iconic abilities are...a stare? a exploding shield?....wtf??
and he hobbles around like a munchkin his attack animation is practically not there.

If he's a Zombie warrior axe dude...he can even keep the accent, but the way he looks, the way he moves, the abilities he has...none of them make sense.
I get that Sion is one of the "trolly/humor" types of champs (similar to Nunu or Zilean)...and that's fine, but right now none of his "trolly/humor" tropes push his actual theme (zombie-schwarz-warrior)

Something like Zombie Brand...is a humorous (not so trolly though) theme, but it actually feels zombie, while still feeling like fire-mage-guy.

As it stands Sion is both unfun to play (not a lot of fun with a kit that's half in half out all the time. and point-n-click abilities/autoattacks/notevenanability/whatkindofpassiveisthat),
And for me personally...he is the LEAST fun champion to go up against. His stun is just lame. AP Sion's shield sounds like I'm pooping out of my ears (or squeezing into really really chafed leather tights), while getting bursted down. And AD' Sion's ult...the AOE lifesteal for team....it just makes me want to drop the game and go outside (maybe run up a really steep hill with those chafed tights on)

Cynicatt

02-05-2013

Quote:
Sion definitely needs some love. What would your expectation for an update be? His current (typical) gameplay doesn't really lend itself to 'beefy guy with axe'. Do you think we'd need to change the kit or visuals in order to get something cohesive, or would you be satisfied with a straight improvement of his looks with his current abilities?
A lot of stuff is terrible about Sion, I've been playing this game for quite some time and have always hated him.
He is so awkward and, in my opinion, nothing about him is appealing at all. I mean, he's got this beefy man body and then randomly one of his arms is missing all of its flesh and is just clean bone from mid-upper-arm down with no transition at all like he dunked his arm in acid but his bones didn't dissolve. (that's the main thing that has bothered me about him since the first day i saw him)
His feet. They are elephant feet. He is hobbling around on little elephant stumps.
His run animation is him just jogging around one-handing this giant axe, which doesn't feel at all undead or spooky. His particle effects make little to no sense and are pretty hideous. Overall he's just kinda crappy-looking.
His voice is awful. Remember old Janna's voice, and how everyone used to mute character speech when they played her cuz it was soooo bad? Sion's is just as terrible.
If he was to be redone, I'd say he just needs more flow. If you guys want to go with the undead-type bone-showing beefcake, I'd say he just needs to look more overall like he's rotting away instead of his arm being the only evidence of decay, and that being so extreme compared to the good condition of the rest of his body.

I can't speak to his abilities because I've maybe played this champion 3 times in the years I've played this game. All I can say is nothing really stuck out to me that made me want to play him despite being visually obnoxious, his spells just make him feel even more wonky, while arguably it's a decent kit, it maybe needs some tweaks, though I couldn't tell you what.