Why do Game Developers think they know what the players want? What games failed you?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

zqfmgb

02-05-2013

Wait, someone else other than me played Gunz?

LukasAdro

02-05-2013

DEMIGOD was the biggest FAIL ever. Triple Facepalm~!

Morello

Lead Designer

02-05-2013
28 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekel View Post
hey morello, just a tiny repost of asking my question on page 38 incase you skimmed over it , what do you think is the main thing that attracts people to play League of Legends, again and again, despite it being repetitive?

lots of diff ideas from people all across the forums, but I'd say you probably have a pretty good idea considering you're one of the biggest factors in making the game popular
I think it's, honestly, how the gameplay works.

MOBA, as a game-type, has great pacing, opportunities for lots of interesting matchups and characters, and is an inherently strategic game (without the resource management and APM requirements of traditional RTS).

"Well, Morello, why is League popular? You just described why MOBAs are fun."

To be frank, this answer is because our gameplay design is something we worked to evolve over the previous incarnations. A focus on in-combat and in-teamfight counterplay (as opposed to everything being setup/positioning focus) softer counters, getting rid of archaic mechanics that just bog things down (looking at you, denying) and things like letting you cast more than 2 or 3 spells before going OOM means you engage with opponents in ways that human beings tend to find psychologically engaging and meaningful.

"But Morello, that just makes it for noobs/casual!"

Not saying you're going to say that, but let's lay that argument to rest.

MOBA is probably one of the most hardcore game genres available, along with fighting games and traditional RTS. Our intent was to clean up the design and make everything there deliberate - each mechanic has a purpose and function. We also worked to make sure when you have to learn something, we try to have VFX, sounds and other indicators be as clear as possible. We want people to master the game itself, not odd UI and noisy graphics.

There's supporting factors like free-to-play and such, but honestly, with our server stability on launch and all that - there's no possible way League of Legends would not only survive the launch we had, but become the biggest thing to ever hit eSports if the gameplay wasn't good.

And to clarify, that's the hard work of guys like Guinsoo, Ezreal, Tryndamere, Brackhar, Zileas, (leaving out several I'm sure) etc. I didn't start until after launch.

What LoL has shown me is that developers don't have to get on the tidal wave of AAA development that wants everything to be so easy it lacks meaning and consequence. Hardcore "gamer's games" are a real, vibrant business that a lot of people have been drooling over for a long time. But you can make clear, sensible game design with good core gameplay for 1000's of hours if you can make the right tradeoffs and decisions.

Morello

Lead Designer

02-05-2013
29 of 91 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solance View Post
Its 1:54, I think the caffeine is getting to you, time to call it a day/night/earth's rotating, We need you alive for more abusing later today!
I got a few hours left. Gotta climb that Silver V =/

heat511

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Neat thread. I'm glad you guys are starting to release more interesting, risky champs. Elise/Vi/Zed being particular favorites.

I played a lot of WoW and everything you said was pretty spot on, although I was burnt out long before BC. Then came back later, etc. The interesting thing about Blizzard in my opinion is they don't take risks really. (I'm going to catch flak for this) Diablo 3 is the same game as Diablo 2. I used to spend hours in the damn trade chat trying to trade a buriza for something worth x number of SoJ's to then unload that to then maybe get an item I could actually use. Then I'd spend the wrong skillpoint and have to get rushed again. Everything in that game took time and felt epic when you did it. Trading items in D3 takes 2.5s and then you check back a week later like reading your email. I'm probably not explaining this well. I used to spend 2 hours waiting for everyone to log on to raid in vanilla. Gaming has changed over the years and I can't honestly say Blizzard is doing it right anymore. I'm not even sure what happened but they made everything too convenient. I never finished the campaign in sc2 and was plat in beta several patches (long before diamond came around). I planetary fortress dropped my placements on launch haha.

I've come to several realizations lately with me and gaming. I don't know if other people are like this. I played the absolute **** out of brood war, diablo 2, wow, dota. I have no interest (trust me I've tried, I -want- to like them) in playing sc2, d3, panda **** or dota2. I have all of those games, I never play them. I shoulda just bought more skins. I think what is compelling about the moba genre is you never, ever have 2 of the same games. I went lane mumu against jayce top earlier and dominated. That shouldn't happen, the dude was very bad. It was awesome. Fistcrank is not pudge, I don't want to play pudge, been there done that got the t-shirt.

I'll stop rambling. LoL is awesome, keep pushing the envelope. I'd like to see a crazy big 7v7 map or 3v3v3 or something someday. Also for the love of god add solo queue to 3's. Threads like this are cool.

ƒenrisúlfr

02-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
But WoW redefined what MMO's are for an entire generation of gamers by using well-known methods to deliver the first "doesn't kick you in the balls over and over" theme park experience. While maybe it didn't invent gas powered engines, it certainly built the Model-T.

Innovation is a powerful thing to have, but it's not the only thing that defines a well-crafted game.
It's 2 AM man, go get some sleep. You're passion is admirable, but you aren't superman.

As a side note I think you're new ranked system is creating frustration because it's TOO GOOD at it's job of identifying true skill level. It's making people feel stymied in their attempt to progress, even though the checks and balances are quite accurate from a statistical perspective.

Reality and realistic hurdles frustrate people, it's why they play video games in the first place

Quote:
Its 1:54, I think the caffeine is getting to you, time to call it a day/night/earth's rotating, We need you alive for more abusing later today!
Shen'd

Cytus

02-05-2013

Morello, if anything, just don't turn into a sad cash cow like Grand Chase did.

thekous

02-05-2013

they don't. I cry over the fact that Americans get the best advantage with their ping when the people from Oceania suffer.

The Soraka

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-05-2013

Quote:
But WoW redefined what MMO's are for an entire generation of gamers by using well-known methods to deliver the first "doesn't kick you in the balls over and over" theme park experience. While maybe it didn't invent gas powered engines, it certainly built the Model-T.

Innovation is a powerful thing to have, but it's not the only thing that defines a well-crafted game.
LoL is one of the most ball kicking games I've ever played.
Are you sure you're playing the game Morello?

Ordo Irelius

02-05-2013

Quote:
I got a few hours left. Gotta climb that Silver V =/
Your teammates are going to hate you for playing in such a tired state.

Also, any news on champions like Irelia and shyvana? They got indirectly nerfed kind of hard from S3 itemization. Anything really, even if it is "ignored for now".