@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xenîth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

In regards to Software Eng vs Comp Sci. I've been by Software Eng majors that it's less strictly CS with business mixed in. In addition they're the ones that tend to plan out the structure of how to build a product and manage a team.

My personal argument is that a Software Eng can't be a true C.S. but a C.S. can easily become a Software Eng through experience.

P.S. @WhattayaBrian touche on Riot Post #57... I had one of those issues before.. it was not pretty...

Professor Maple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

02-01-2013

Who works with the social network stats of the player base. I'm actually interested in how complex the algorithm was to place people into groups with their friends (master yi's warriors etc.). Is it as naive as reducing the player base to 5 graphs (bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond) and then placing cliques into the different groups?

I would love to see a pretty graph of the LoL social network (with info stripped of course) but I know that is pretty important internal information.

How interesting is this graph and does it exhibit any cool things about league of legends you wouldn't expect?

xXCrazyBarksXx

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
What do you mean by work experience? Is that like an internship? If so, I didn't personally do any internships, but if you can get one, it's great experience to have on your resume when you graduate. I would recommend that you find several positions that sound interesting to you in whatever field you are thinking about going into and apply to them all. If your university has a career services office, then enlist their help. They can help you find positions to apply for, as well as offer lots of advice on building your resume, cover letters, the application and interview process, and more.
I'm still in year 10, I have very little idea of whats infront of me. I'm not sure what they call it in america, but basically students take a couple days off school and go to a company or a job of there liking to experience what it is like. But idk, when the time comes, i'll see what I'm able to do.

Chamenas

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
I am not an expert on the education system, but my guess is that it's not always easy to effect change in such a bureaucratic system. Computer science is a *relatively* new field, compared to say math, science, history, etc., so not all schools have caught up to the times.
Okay. Well, not trying to have you put out there how old you are, but what was offered when you were in high school?

Also, the dominate thing that stands out in my mind was that there were High Schools that offered more advanced Comp Sci training. It just happened that the one I attended wasn't one of them.

While a lot can be said about my not perusing it more on my own. In the end, I've always been someone who makes decent leaps and strides alone, then hits a wall and needs help. I hit that wall but I didn't have a teacher to help me. It was why I went a different direction.

If my High School had had a better Comp Sci program, I might be here talking to you about coding-specific topics rather than as an individual who has some small brushing of knowledge in coding but hasn't ever really done anything more complicated than a WoW AddOn (and the script for that was UGLY.)

Of course, there can be a whole argument made for why our education system needs and overhaul. Though I'm not sure that's necessarily a discussion which you want to entertain. :-P

Exocist

02-01-2013

@Riot members, I am currently learning Python (1st language to learn because it's the main language our school teaches if you pick IT) and once I learn Python (If i get through it all, you guys really helped with those links ) what do you recommend I learn (thinking about C# or javascript)?

Xengre

02-02-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocist View Post
@Riot members, I am currently learning Python (1st language to learn because it's the main language our school teaches if you pick IT) and once I learn Python (If i get through it all, you guys really helped with those links ) what do you recommend I learn (thinking about C# or javascript)?
I suggest C++. Here is a link to help you start learning it: http://www.cprogramming.com/tutorial.html

If you want to choose specifically between those two, say only classes available at your location and you want an in class thing, then I suggest Java. The reason I suggest Java is because (while both are important) I don't know what field you are interested in and I fully believe you should have more programming experience before approaching C#. C# does a lot of stuff that makes thing easier for you, and I don't think it is a good language to learn proper coding since you are just starting off.

If you are actually interested in game programming then check out my post on page 25 for more details.

ShawNuff

02-02-2013

Is there such a thing as the "easy guide to multithreading"

CieloPrimo

02-04-2013

I'm just learning about software development. (Just started schooling for it a few weeks ago.) I was wondering if you follow Lehman's laws, and specifically this one

"Lehman’s fifth law is concerned with the change increments in each system
release. Adding new functionality to a system inevitably introduces new system
faults. The more functionality added in each release, the more faults there will be.
Therefore, a large increment in functionality in one system release means that this
will have to be followed by a further release in which the new system faults are
repaired. Relatively little new functionality should be included in this release. This
law suggests that you should not budget for large functionality increments in each
release without taking into account the need for fault repair.".

You guys release a new patch to this game nearly every single week, boasting either new champions, skins, items, balance changes, whatever it may be. So many things are constantly changing in this game, I guess what I'm wondering, is how you guys keep track of all these changes and keep the faults at a minimum. I know such things as the PBE help, and I know that somethings slip through, etc. More specifically what I'm asking is, is there some secret technique/programs you guys have that prevents tumbling on top of your own selves after having so many changes to the game? Although i may rage and sometimes hate what happens to me in this game, I always find the technical side of it and what you guys do to be amazing. SO YEAH.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

02-05-2013
58 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CieloPrimo View Post
I'm just learning about software development. (Just started schooling for it a few weeks ago.) I was wondering if you follow Lehman's laws, and specifically this one

"Lehmans fifth law is concerned with the change increments in each system
release. Adding new functionality to a system inevitably introduces new system
faults. The more functionality added in each release, the more faults there will be.
Therefore, a large increment in functionality in one system release means that this
will have to be followed by a further release in which the new system faults are
repaired. Relatively little new functionality should be included in this release. This
law suggests that you should not budget for large functionality increments in each
release without taking into account the need for fault repair.".

You guys release a new patch to this game nearly every single week, boasting either new champions, skins, items, balance changes, whatever it may be. So many things are constantly changing in this game, I guess what I'm wondering, is how you guys keep track of all these changes and keep the faults at a minimum. I know such things as the PBE help, and I know that somethings slip through, etc. More specifically what I'm asking is, is there some secret technique/programs you guys have that prevents tumbling on top of your own selves after having so many changes to the game? Although i may rage and sometimes hate what happens to me in this game, I always find the technical side of it and what you guys do to be amazing. SO YEAH.
Very much so. It is one of those striking facts of life that the faster you deliver, the higher quality it will be. That is to say, if you had to choose between releasing once a week, or once every two weeks with twice as many deliverables, the first one will invariably be of higher quality.

The golden age of LoL will, for me, be the day we can patch daily without impacting the players. We don't have the patching infrastructure to sustain that at this moment, but...one day.

xXCrazyBarksXx

02-05-2013

What happened to everyone i guess this thread got old.