Digi-art contest entry WIP-Master YI

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MsPudding

Sentient Pudding

Follow MsPudding on Twitter

02-01-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellioning View Post
I suppose. I take it then the next contest is going to be hand drawn only?
Maybe not the verrrry next one, but we're planning things. Will happen eventually--just not sure where it will fit in the scheme of things in terms of scheduling and fleshing it out to be a really awesome contest ^_^

synchronetta

02-01-2013

He looks white to Daemon because Yi's facial features appears to be Caucasian, particularly his nose shape (bridge is long and narrow), shape of his lips, and his angular jawline. Otherwise, it looks good so far. =]

artzombi3

02-01-2013

Going to be really nit picky here, but I'd say that be careful with your texturing. I know you're still working on it, but at the moment, I feel like there's a huge contrast between the textures of his face in comparison to his armour. His armour looks quite cartoony and his face looks realistic.

Otherwise good job! You guys seem to be working hard on this, and it's scary going against you lol.

YouRRaDDaD

02-01-2013

Artzombi3, going to jump in and address your concern on behalf of my roommate. The materials you're seeing are quick matcaps produced in zbrush to show off something more than just the grayscales. He still intends to texture them properly to match the fidelity of the face and the matte painting. Lighting in the scene is going to play a large part in unifying it all as well.

As far as looking Asian; Master Yi isn't from Asia, he's from Ionia. While the design of Ionia may have certain influences from our world and cultures, they're just that, influences. Besides, we feel there is a strong limitation in trying to put a singular face on a continent that consists of over 4 Billion people.

DanRileyCG

02-01-2013

looking great guys! The model is solid--- I go to school for 3D animation / modeling, so I can definitely say that you've got a quality sculpt on your hands. I <3 brush too-- it's AMAZING (Maya is also nice).

I have nothing to say for the sculpt save for it's quite nice, I think you did a great job with it. I especially love the finer details (I'm a HUGE fan of details), so this nicks and scratches in the armor go a long way for me. Looking forward to the finished texturing.

I have one comment regarding the DMP-- first of all it's pretty awesome. My favorite part, without doubt, is the inclusion of that epic bridge on the far right--- I especially love the shadow it's casting on the land, looks pretty natural, nicely done. My one nitpick, is as follows: I'd LOVE if you moved the gem that's floating above the left most structure either up or down, as it stands now it's perfectly aligned with the mountain ridges behind it in such a way that it actually looks like it's detracting from the mountains. That is, it looks like it's a strange hollow in the mountains, which I know is not the intent. Move it up, or down, and it will look like a separate entity from the mountains.

P.S. Do you guys go2 school for this stuff? If so, where? Is it a four year school? I'm curious because I'm currently attending Boston University's: The Center for Digital Imaging Arts ( which is a certificate program ), and am interested as to what else is out there as I haven't found a whole lot online.

Peace!

YouRRaDDaD

02-02-2013

Hey Delkin, glad you enjoy our work so far (roommate says thanks as well). The wide shot of the matte painting that you're seeing there is going to be used as an establishing shot in a little animation we're including alongside our submission. I'm currently working on separating the DMP into cards and setting up a card system in Nuke. I noticed the lining up of the crystal as well but as I planned on giving it a bit of animation I knew it wouldn't remain there for long. If people actually want to use the wide shot as a wallpaper or something, I can easily adjust the crystal in the still as well.

As for school, we both graduated from Full Sail University in Orlando. The Computer Animation program is 21 months and you'll walk out with a Bachelor's. Unlike most schools your schedule will change every month and you'll be subject to having class at all hours of the day. 1am, 5am, 9pm, you name it, you'll have it. With the way the curriculum and workload is set up, you'd have to say goodbye to any hopes of having a social life or job of some sort. It's rough but if you can hack it, you'll be in a good place.

DanRileyCG

02-02-2013

Awesome man, looking forward to seeing more progress! Thanks for the info! I'm doing the part time program at my school, which is perfect because it allows me to work full time during the morning/day, which is essential in paying bills, etc. I still have a ways to go with my character stuff. I've been reading some books by Scott Spencer (he's amazing!), I'm currently retopologizing my first character in Zbrush. So far, I'm absolutely in love with 3D and can't wait to see what I can really do once I have some free time on my hands.

Feel free to check out my WIP Lux entry thread. I'm excited about it, and still have so much to do. I may have to get out of work or skip school once this week just to finish it-- not ideal, but that's life. O.o

drukenMunkey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-02-2013

Hey Delkin your doing good work on that Lux entry so far, keep it up. As for learning 3D, when my roommate and I were going through school finding information for this line of work hadn't spread as widely around the internet yet, but today there is a wealth of knowledge at your fingertips. I can't begin to express how valuable a subscription to Digital Tutors or Gnomon's website can be. If they were around when I was looking at colleges to go to I would have just stayed at home and taught myself. I am not saying drop out or anything, but they are a great tool to get you ahead in your learning and practice, and there are things on there that a school might just not know about yet. Software and technology moves so fast in this industry. It is always a battle to keep up and stay ahead of the curve. Anyway just wanted to throw my two cents in there.

Vashos

02-03-2013

Very nice work! And poop on anyone who says 3-d isn't allowed. Pfft. I don't have any art training, but I picked up 3-d art about a year and a half ago for giggles and I'm enjoying it very much so far.

I do hope you do well in the contest; unfotunately, in my experience, 3d art doesn't get as much recognition as 2d art. Why is beyond me as 3d has a much higher technical threshold, but that's what I usually encounter. :/ Solid work, though. Are you doing art professionally right now?

YouRRaDDaD

02-03-2013

Hey Vashos, thanks for the encouragement. I think the problem with 3D is that there is a very fine line between good looking CG and bad. Luckily we've been doing this for a few years so we're getting better at walking that line. And to answer your question, my roommate and I are both currently working freelance as a Character Modeler and DMP, respectively.