Should Goth Annie be put up separately for a limited time?

Yes 2,570 66.39%
No 1,301 33.61%
Voters: 3871. You may not vote on this poll

Pros and Cons of Riot's "Goth Annie" Decision

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aggrbargl

02-01-2013

If your sentimental attachment depends on what strangers do or have, you're doing it wrong. Furthermore, it wasn't a "thanks", it's something people bought, which is still available for purchase, and which was going to go on sale like pretty much everything else in the store does at one time or another.

iueras

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotAmes View Post
Oh, no - if we do the champ, we do the skins. Just that we may not add things. In the case of Frostfire, for example, we want to maintain what's already there, so we added snowflakes, color change on her fire, etc. But that's also true of Annie in Wonderland, etc, where there wasn't anything extra before.

We're going to continue releasing Relaunches/VUs that don't have entirely new splash art for a little while. Our other option is to not release the VU and wait on the splash, but that's not great either.

So, right now? I'm not even going to give you a Soon™. We want to update them. Do we have the ability to right now? Sadly, no. I know that this is going to be a problem for a while, but again, the alternative is not to release the update at all. (as an aside, the Splash team works extremely hard- we just do a LOT of stuff that needs art, and our new standards take more time)

edit:

This thread continues to be a source of negative debate(and not specifically about Goth Annie)- I'm going to take a break for a while. It's been a pleasure, everyone. Your understanding and, most importantly, your passion are continuous reminders of why I love what I do and why it's important that I continue to improve.

sub-sub edit: I couldn't find your post when I glanced a second ago, Kugz. It's not just upvote/downvote, but the speed, the comments, and the general feedback from multiple places in a short amount of time that were considered. Also, the whole point was to make players happy- it clearly wasn't, so it seemed like more harm than good.
Sorry Ames, I know I am being pretty abrasive at times here. Its just that this whole fiasco seems so WRONG to me. I have posted more tonight about this than I have posted in the last 3 years on these forums. I absolutely despise exclusivity because of things like this. It causes much harm and little good.

Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonerSundays View Post
Because you don't own Frankentibbers. But if they stripped the color from Goth and changed Frankentibbers instead, you'd be all mad and raging.
Still wouldn't care. I still play Goth Annie now before the rework even while owning Reverse Annie.

StonerSundays

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Rook View Post
I'm still holding out hope that one day it'll at least get new particles.
They should give her love. Will they? Doubt it.

Haraiko

02-01-2013

Difference is if we knew it would be on sale someday, we woulda never bought the skin in 3900rp.

DrRomance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

There's no point in putting the poll up. You might as well be asking,

a) Did you buy Gothic Annie in the bundle?
b) Did you not buy Gothicc Annie in the bundle?

Zero

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrbargl View Post
If your sentimental attachment depends on what strangers do or have, you're doing it wrong. Furthermore, it wasn't a "thanks", it's something people bought, which is still available for purchase, and which was going to go on sale like pretty much everything else in the store does at one time or another.
It's rarity gives it value along with the sentimental value of getting it for supporting Riot when they were small. I don't remember exactly when I got it, but it was during season 1. No skin is truly exclusive as you can always buy accounts that have them already, but its their rarity that gives them such value.

Aggrbargl

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haraiko View Post
Difference is if we knew it would be on sale someday, we woulda never bought the skin in 3900rp.
That's your problem. It's a product, it has a price, you can't expect that price to stay fixed forever.

RiotAmes

QA Analyst

02-01-2013
35 of 35 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tolfor View Post
Are you saying definitively that this was the lesson Riot took away from this experience (that making limited edition skins awesome during visual updates is dangerous) or was that just a guess - which I hope is proven wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmhard View Post
dont understand me wrong, that you updated all the skins is awesome, but it is very much NOT awesome to not do it anymore. implies that money is the gold standard here.
(I lied, I ended up reading some anyways- but the bickering is making me really question if I'd be better off with another thread later)

In no way am I the definitive source for the lesson we get from this or what we do going forwards. My opinion is just that, maybe we shouldn't do this in cases where the exclusivity A) means the work we put in isn't accessible to most of our players and/or B) will cause more harm than good.

I am talking specifically about new particle effects, animations, etc when I say 'we wouldn't do this'. We are committed to model and texture updates as part of a champion's Visual Update. If that champion's skins already have cool things- a cape, different particles, etc- we also update those as well. But it may not make sense to put time into adding new things to skins that didn't already have those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iueras View Post
Sorry Ames, I know I am being pretty abrasive at times here. Its just that this whole fiasco seems so WRONG to me. I have posted more tonight about this than I have posted in the last 3 years on these forums. I absolutely despise exclusivity because of things like this. It causes much harm and little good.
I understand. It's okay that you feel that way- it's just the type of consumer you are. We don't make a habit out of things that are 100% exclusive any more, but in the cases that we did we should honor that as best as we can.

iueras

02-01-2013

Wow just noticed I went from Junior member to Senior tonight. Nice.