@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NakedGranny

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotVitzkrieg View Post
Hope that kind of makes sense?
It does.

Every artist, including me, wants a pet Tech "so we don't have to".

xXCrazyBarksXx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by something goes wrong? Do you mean if you realize that programming just isn't your thing or for whatever reason isn't the right career path for you? I would suggest that you don't worry about that ahead of time and try to hedge for it. If that happens, then re-evaluate what you are interested in at that time and change your coursework accordingly. It happened to me my junior year of college when I was double majoring in Psychology and Linguistics, and my soul searching led me to programming.

The feeling of accomplishment when you finish coding something and then get to see it in action is one of my favorite things about my profession.
1)I meant like what other degree's and such tied in with programming so if I can't take up programming as a job for whatever reason, I can still have a degree for something similar. What is available? I know I definitely want to do something to do with maths/science/computers/engineering.
(I'm not really sure how college degree's and etc work, but we will be taught about it soon)

2)I'm gonna freaking love programming

Other Question
I'm going to be doing work experience soon, and I have no idea of what to apply to. What do you recommend/what did you do? (keep in mind I'm in Australia)

Thank you again

Mennonite Monk

01-31-2013

How do I go from being a self-taught successful full time lamp web developer to a programmer in the gaming industry without accruing a http://bit.ly/VyRskD in debt?

tempname950

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempname950 View Post
How well should I know Linear Algebra. I'm currently starting my B.C.S majoring in games programming, and Linear Algebra is an extra core fundamental unit that I have to take. I was going to just get by through it, but since you mentioned it, should it become my most favourite class in the world?
Hadn't seen my question answered yet

Nabroar

02-01-2013

Quote:
why should it become your favorite? just do it and make the subject you enjoy your favorite. also Boolean Algebra is pretty important to.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

02-01-2013
55 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Linear algebra's pretty important, but the good news is that 99% of what you'll need will be taught in the first few weeks.

Dot product.
Cross product.

Know those two guys and you can do just about anything. And not just their equations, but what they actually mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabroar View Post
why should it become your favorite? just do it and make the subject you enjoy your favorite. also Boolean Algebra is pretty important to.
Boolean Algebra is important in theory, but reducing boolean expressions to their simplest form isn't required in almost every situation, and can sometimes make code harder to follow. The most important thing to grasp is just what truth tables AND, OR, NOT, XOR, XNOR, NAND, and NOR have, which are all easy.

DaOwnage

02-01-2013

is there any way i could intern for you guys??? im a CS major and i have been playing this game for about 2-3 years i would love to do what you guys do for a living....ill work like a dog for free i swear just to learn from you all and be a part of a game that i spend most of my time ( and money lol) on

Eaglechopper

02-01-2013

Hey to all you Rioters on this forum, lucky I had randomly found this forum because I have just recently got into a course into a "Bachelor of software engineering" though I am having doubts if its the right path for me. I don't really know much about what software engineering do on a typical day, in my own opinion I see it as a job where you work fairly long hours and work at a computer desk most of the day. Whilst I do love Information technology I have also been considering network engineering as its seems a more practical career. If you would be able to give me insight into what constitutes a typical day of a software engineer that would be great advice in order to help me decide... Thanks

Sailor Galaxia

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
I post a lot. We use generally Software Engineer with various modifiers.

MF! Marry meEeee3e333

ShawNuff

02-01-2013

Any time someone messes up demorgan's law, I think it should be an automatic facepalm for anyone that sees.