Should Goth Annie be put up separately for a limited time?

Yes 2,570 66.39%
No 1,301 33.61%
Voters: 3871. You may not vote on this poll

Pros and Cons of Riot's "Goth Annie" Decision

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cytus

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenolithium View Post
You are right on one account. Not the one you think you belong to, though.
Alright look, my goal was not to deny everyone the right to buy the skin, it was to make it so everyone could get the skin at a fair price. I've stated numerous alternatives to putting the skin on sale and doing things with the bundles that are buried in the tons of threads and pages over this fiasco, but it's not my call. I'm not saying you shouldn't have the skin because I have it, I'm saying it's ridiculous to get what I have but for extremely less when the skin is updated and looks gorgeous. If you want to get the bundle when Hippalus releases whatever bundle system he has in his head, go ahead, I'm expecting by then he'll figure out some way to keep Goth Annie exclusive, but also make it so people who spent 3900 RP on the bundle don't feel like they wasted their money.

You can downvote this if you wish, this is just my stand on the whole thing as of now. Previous I thought he was going to re-release the skin back into the shop after he retracted it the first time, but if he's going through the bundle and can come up with an appropriate plan to compensate everyone than best of luck to him. I never said it was okay people thought they could buy Goth Annie when the patch goes live either, that was ridiculous and shouldn't have been done in the first place. At this point we've probably gotten all we have out of Hippalus and most questions have been answered. All we can do now is wait to see what Hippalus comes up with in March/April.

Hippalus

eCommerce Director

02-01-2013
18 of 35 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbelmont74 View Post
my biggest problem in all of this now hippalus and ames is that in going on 25 different posts in 2 different threads neither one of you has uttered the word "sorry" or apologized for messing this whole thing up so badly. i've seen explanations and rationales but not one apology from anybody from Riot for turning this whole thing into such a mess. is this a legal/liability issue?
No not a legal issue. And yeah, we're sorry for the mess. Ideas like this one get brought up as a way to do something cool for players and don't always have time to go through a full vetting process because we're busy working on bigger projects. This was Ames' idea and I gave it the green light - neither one of us foresaw the backlash.

In general, we try to implement stuff that players will value, and most of the time we get it right (gifting, champion price changes, bonus RP/IP, legacy skins sale, etc). We also try not to implement stuff that a significant number of players will hate, and within an hour of hitting the front page news, it was clear that selling Goth Annie in the store would piss off a lot of people, so I made the call to kill it. In hindsight, I wish I'd either squashed the idea upfront or put more time into gauging the player reaction.

In the end, no one here is worse off than they were yesterday except for people who bought RP they wouldn't have bought (I'll message you in game Toad), and people who are losing sleep over this for one reason or another. To all of those people, I am indeed sorry.

Xenolithium

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToadKillerDog7 View Post
...And of course I DID buy a prepaid RP card...so like I figured, I'm just screwed.
Get in line, home slice.

Sessamo

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
It doesn't change the fact that the lawsuit came about because someone SPILLED said coffee on them and it was not labelled that it was hot. If you didn't ask for a cold coffee, common sense would say that it is hot. In the same world, a thief can break into your house, hurt himself, sue you, AND win. The legal system is beyond wrong, and the fact that anyone would even bring up "lawsuit" or "liability" in a thread like this is outrageous. False advertising? Hardly. It'd have been false advertising if it stayed the same news post, the sale date came, and it never happened. But NO. They corrected it, responded VERY quickly, and all is well. Anyone who paid for RP impulsively only has themselves to blame.
It was labelled as hot already, though in smaller print. The coffee was also found to be way hotter than standard coffee, hence the severity of her burns.
But alas, we're not here to discuss tort.

Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by iueras View Post
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Releas...64839173663637

facebook support page

Not mine or my idea just saw it in another thread thought I'd post it in case people here where it is active want to go there.
The guy who made it is just a sheep following what other people are posting. None have a clue.

"Bait-and-switch is a form of fraud used in retail sales but also practiced in other contexts. First, customers are "baited" by merchants' advertising products or services at a low price; then customers discover the advertised goods are not available. Other products are "switched" for them; however, these items are often costlier."

That is when you get to the store and the "bait" that got you there is false. That means the sale should be ongoing at the time you realize this. It's not bait-and-switch if they correct it before the sale occurs. You can't SWITCH something that hasn't happened yet.

Sheogorath

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
stuff
where is your picture from

TaIont

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
where is your picture from
The familiar of zero. Great stuff

Cytus

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippalus View Post
No not a legal issue. And yeah, we're sorry for the mess. Ideas like this one get brought up as a way to do something cool for players and don't always have time to go through a full vetting process because we're busy working on bigger projects. This was Ames' idea and I gave it the green light - neither one of us foresaw the backlash.

In general, we try to implement stuff that players will value, and most of the time we get it right (gifting, champion price changes, bonus RP/IP, legacy skins sale, etc). We also try not to implement stuff that a significant number of players will hate, and within an hour of hitting the front page news, it was clear that selling Goth Annie in the store would piss off a lot of people, so I made the call to kill it. In hindsight, I wish I'd either squashed the idea upfront or put more time into gauging the player reaction.

In the end, no one here is worse off than they were yesterday except for people who bought RP they wouldn't have bought (I'll message you in game Toad), and people who are losing sleep over this for one reason or another. To all of those people, I am indeed sorry.
Thank you, and now I can finally say goodnight.

iueras

02-01-2013

Quote:

Honestly, if you had just stuck to your guns it would have passed. The community here is fickle and the forum goers are very vocal. The kids would have gotten over it and the MILLIONS of people that play this game without ever looking at the forums would have never known what was happening. You should never EVER kneejerk revert a plan because of an hours worth of forumites screaming. Give it a day or 2, always. Guaranteed that 9/10 times, the outcry will die to a whimper within 24 hours and by next week no one would even care, except for the OCD forumers who never forget anything they read, ever.

Highborne

02-01-2013

Quote:

Except your initial decision was not a negative for anyone at all, and your retraction of said decision is a giant negative for yourselves.

Also, I expect a full refund for all the champs I buy with the bundle as I own them all when you reevaluate the bundle pricing, as such I expect Goth Annie I get to only cost me around 300 RP total.

If it won't work this way, please let me know because for all intents and purposes it should.

As such, just put Goth Annie on sale and act professionally.