@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotDerivative

Data Scientist

01-31-2013
48 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
However, in enterprise software, the development methodologies were much more rigid and involved a lot more overhead, meaning way less time was spent coding and more time was spent in meetings, writing documents, planning, etc, Also, while corporate environments tolerated the individuality and later schedules of the average software developer, game companies go further, rewarding and embracing it. They also do a lot more to build a fun and rich company culture, supporting their employees and promoting healthy concepts like work/life balance. Also, note that some of these traits are true of startups in general, not only gaming companies.
I refuse to work anywhere that won't let me wear shorts. So far I have been lucky.

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
I refuse to work anywhere that won't let me wear shorts. So far I have been lucky.
Hahaha thats a good point.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

01-31-2013
49 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotDerivative View Post
shorts sweatpants

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-31-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
[s]shorts[/s] sweatpants
I think we have a winner.

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

01-31-2013
50 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
shorts sweatpants
I prefer jeans over sweatpants. : )

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

01-31-2013
51 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Ew.

EverythingIsData

01-31-2013

Quote:
Yikes, wearing sweatpants under jeans? Must get pretty hot during the day...

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

01-31-2013
52 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Unt 02 View Post
Thanks again for another wonderful response RiotSchmick , it means a lot.

As far as degrees go. I guess my problem is this. I want to go to school over seas (Japan) to be with some friends (I'm also a huge fan of the culture and such). Ideally I would like to eventually work for a gaming company that deals with imported games, but working from an international office. My ideal position would be with programming, but the school I'd be going too would only have degrees in International relations and Business.

It's honestly a decision thats been haunting me for years. I spent 5 years in the military to get more time to think about it. Now i'm out on disability and still have no clue.

Combining the 2 things I have planned in life are hard ; ; Working with Games and travel.

If I can ever figure out how to combine the 2, then maybe I could apply for Riot Japan

I know that if I just go straight for a CS degree here, that getting a job will be no problem. My limited experience with QBASIC and HTML coding led my teachers to believe I had a high potential to work in the field. So I don't see getting a job as an issue.
Well, have you ever considered that you don't have to program to work in games? There are plenty of jobs in games that don't require programming and involve travel. Is programming your main interest or was it just a means to get into the industry?

RiotSchmick

Software Engineer

01-31-2013
53 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor402 View Post
Yikes, wearing sweatpants under jeans? Must get pretty hot during the day...
Lolz. Just the jeans. I'm not a sweatpants kinda gal.

MisoSowee

01-31-2013

These threads are by far my favorite threads of all! Even though I'm not planning on pursuing heavy coding much (Chem engineering woot! If i get accepted D:..) it's still awesome to read all this information, especially since my sister is halfway through her comp sci degree :]

It's always possible I could flip flop though.... this 120 wpm has to get to good use somehow... fufufufufu

Speaking of which how is your guys' typing speed? My sister was maybe 70 wpm before she started her 4 year comp sci degree and in just under two years she's almost at my speed (and probably more accurate too!)