@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Muffinstien

01-29-2013

Also, one more question if you guys get around to it.
At our college we're soon going to start up a student organization and do a collaborative game project. What kind of game (platformer, rpg, tactics, whathaveyou) would you recommend as a good, sort of all-encompassing learning experience, to learn as much about programming on this sort of project as possible?

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

@ WhattayaBrian
or
@ RiotTantram
or
@ RiotSchmick
or
@ Zydion
Were you self taught, school, or both?
If Self-taught, what websites or books would you suggest.

I'm looking to learn C++, getting Microsoft Visual Studio IDE isnt an issue. I am not great at self-teaching when it comes to reading tutorials online (walls of text can be hard to read on a computer after 2-3 hours ...) and I've yet to find a good video channel on youtube.

Do you know of any programs that teach in a guided learning method? Similar to how rosetta stone would teach a language. One that provides you with an input method, tells you if its correct or wrong. (I understand that in most cases, just trying to run the code input, would be the same thing, because it either works or doesnt work) but just curious.

Malurth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
If you write:

void f() { // brace not on its own line
// ...code...
}

Then I cringe, but it's not like I can't understand it.
Really? Do you think that's bad form?

As a CS major, I always write code that way. I can't stand opening bracket lines. Closing bracket lines are just about necessary, but I like it a lot better with in-line opening brackets.

Zydion

Associate Software Engineer

01-29-2013
27 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockcIimber View Post
I want to get into programming in languages such as C++ and eventually try to work on small games (maybe using UDK). For someone that has hardly any programming experience aside from a bit of dabbling in HTML and JavaScript a few years ago would you still recommend that website for a start? I've tried jumping straight into C++ using learncpp.com but I kind of lost track at times and it felt like I wasn't really getting anywhere at times.
Yes, I would still suggest the site as it is not so much about teaching you the languages as it is teaching you the fundamentals of programming, which are applicable to any language that you may learn in the future. I only suggested it since you mentioned that you have trouble following straight up coding manuals, which is understandable for people with no coding background. The interactive exercises on the website that lets you see the effects of your changes immediately can really help you understand how programming works.

Void2258

01-29-2013

My favorite language is python.

RockcIimber

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydion View Post
Yes, I would still suggest the site as it is not so much about teaching you the languages as it is teaching you the fundamentals of programming, which are applicable to any language that you may learn in the future. I only suggested it since you mentioned that you have trouble following straight up coding manuals, which is understandable for people with no coding background. The interactive exercises on the website that lets you see the effects of your changes immediately can really help you understand how programming works.
It wasn't me in the first post but I'm pretty much in the same spot. Thanks a ton for your help, I'll definitely see to going through that website!

Beverice

01-29-2013

On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you guys love recursion?

Also anyone have any good recommendations for colleges to go to for CS?

Ryios

01-29-2013

I started programming with GW-Basica when I was a kid and later moved to Microsoft Quick Basic. Not really using it for much more than to experiement on my own (no internet at the time) with what resources I had (not much in the library). Eventually moved up to VB6 in 1998, and later jumped to C# in .Net. I ended up working in factories and eventually went to college for a computer science degree where I dived into Java and more C#. Now I work as a SharePoint Developer/.Net Developer living in nothing but Microsoft SharePoint.

Because I like to code for fun, on non work related things I've started exploring gaming platform options. I keep forcing myself to go straight C++ and learn it, get up to date with common header files, string libraries, boost libraries, and w/e other libraries are useful, but no matter how hard I try I find myself constantly falling back to C# and wanting to just do everything in XNA.

It's not that I don't think C++ is the right choice, it's that it's so much easier to go .Net. In .Net I can just do something like

string blah = "High";
string blah2 = "There";
Console.WriteLine(blah + " " + blah2);

in C++ that's not so straight forward, literal strings "High" end up being char arrays, and you can't concat them together like that. I find the differences like that are what make it so challenging for me. I don't like going backwards.

However I do like being able to take a byte aray of say

byte[] = new byte[120];
//load it with some raw file format

and then just use a pointer swap to convert it to a structure
type
{
int sizeOfPointers;
int[] indexPointers;
//rest of file format... etc
}

Things like that are much more difficult in c# because you can't do pointer manipulation without using unsafe blocks and pinning down the content at it's address (as it might move).

Anyone know of any good tutorials for c++ coming from a c# mindset?

The syntax is easy to learn, that's not my problem. It's coming from a .Net Framework can do this and this and this, to a how do I do that in c++ problem...

Private Riem

01-29-2013

Is this (from a programming viewpoint) possible?

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

01-29-2013
28 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverice View Post
On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you guys love recursion?

Also anyone have any good recommendations for colleges to go to for CS?
Code:
unsigned love(unsigned x)
{
    if(x)
    {
        return x + f(x - 1);
    }
    return x;
}

int main()
{
    love(4);