Just got unbanned, played my first game, got trolled and reported.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Esquier

01-29-2013

As long as you are posting here Montag, can you help us better understand that?

If you played ranked on a regular basis, virtually every game has someone yelling "report" so and so. From my experience, 80% of those are just completely off base (someone is getting out played, having a bad game, and honestly people just can't handle being defeated so they need someone to blame).

It would just be nice to have some more assurances considering that even if we click that "punish button" in the Tribunal, it does appear that at least some of the cases either 1) have nothing to do with the alleged basis for the report or 2) should never have been a report. [Yes, the other two of 5 cases for example might be report worthy, but I think the concern is that "false reports" can get you in the system].

InertBlowfish

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FECKFACE View Post
It hardly encourages you to rage, don't exaggerate.
No, no. I'm not kidding.

I have NEVER been banned.

I think I got a warning once, like 18 months ago.

Because I actually use the mute feature quite often.

It's only the very fringe games where someone is downright feeding (like 4 deaths by 7 minutes) where I'll say something negative - because the rest of the time I can carry the game as long as there isn't a 10-0-5 cho gath on the enemy team when laning phase ends.

But now when I DO say something, I usually have a full rage to let my frustration out and then mute the person anyway and talk normally to the rest of my team for the duration of the loss.

Sturmhard

01-29-2013

it always amazes me if people state that tribunal bans are unavoidable.

i play this game for so long......1-3 games every day, first on US, now on EU......and i never ever even received a warning. even got the santa nashor, despite not doing anything special for it.
i simply don't insult people.....sure make some comments if someone is feeding in the style of "awgawd, what are you doing there", "pls stop dying" and stuff like that but i try to never be obscene or negative towards people.

and guess what, mostly people get their **** together if you are not flaming them.

if people try to behave like normal human beings you should be fine.

Old Vegas Dad

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMontag View Post
We actually tune the Tribunal specifically to minimize false positives like this. You are more likely to be struck by lightning in your lifetime.

That isn't to say you won't get the occasional report. Virtually everyone has a handful of reports. But not all reports are counted equally, and we can easily tell the difference between someone who is consistently toxic and someone who has a bad game every now and then.

I know you want ot beleive you do, but your system doesnt take into account volumes of games played. I know this I tested it and your system failed. On an smurf level 30 account i rarely played, I played 20 matches i was incredibly toxic on purpose to try to elicit reportsin all 20 matches I was never tribunaled. My main account which i play alot, and i am normally very polite great teammate, I have been tribunaled. I do step over the line but like barely saying stuff like omg how are you my elo you are so bad, but i play 50+ games per week.

1 account 100% toxicity, never tribunaled the other account 1-2% but due to the volume played has an actual larger volumes of reports (add in all the people who report because they are angry thier team lost) hit the tribunal 3 times for saying to player omg why are you so bad (never cursed never any racisms, never left a game).

sorry your system is flawed. Denial doesnt change it. Main account punished for 1-5% and ignored for the 95-99% perfect behavior, other account 100% extreme toxicity, never tribunaled and it directly ruined 20 ranked games on purpose, not just negative chat, but afk feeding cursing etc.

Pawstruck

01-29-2013

Quote:
We actually tune the Tribunal specifically to minimize false positives like this. You are more likely to be struck by lightning in your lifetime.

That isn't to say you won't get the occasional report. Virtually everyone has a handful of reports. But not all reports are counted equally, and we can easily tell the difference between someone who is consistently toxic and someone who has a bad game every now and then.
1) I guess I've been struck by lightning then, because I've been banned for a case that was 5 games, 4 of them the forums (and me, obv) agreed were bogus, and 1 of which I got frustrated and raged a little. You say you correct for errors like this, but my experience is different.

2) How do you distinguish between ragers who report at the drop of a hat and people who, like me, have a very high standard of reporting? That is, calling me a "noob" in game (outside of joking) even once will lead to a report from me. I think, by the Summoner's Code, that's justified. Do you?

Old Vegas Dad

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmhard View Post
it always amazes me if people state that tribunal bans are unavoidable.

i play this game for so long......1-3 games every day, first on US, now on EU......and i never ever even received a warning. even got the santa nashor, despite not doing anything special for it.
i simply don't insult people.....sure make some comments if someone is feeding in the style of "awgawd, what are you doing there", "pls stop dying" and stuff like that but i try to never be obscene or negative towards people.

and guess what, mostly people get their **** together if you are not flaming them.

if people try to behave like normal human beings you should be fine.

you just explained why you never have been tribunaled guy. you only play 1-3 games a day and most likely not even every day. Many people play this game 10-20 matches every day. Their raw exposer to reportable situations is huge compared to yours. So the top 2% of reportees get tribunaled, you wil never play enough to pass that threshhold on someone who plays 20 + times more games than you.

universe within

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-29-2013

Quote:
Funny that you mention this. We did a little language analysis on toxic players -- not just people who get reported, but people who get reported, judged, and suspended. Here are the top two words toxic players use in games:

1. noob
2. reported

It turns out people who get reported do the vast majority of reporting. We can also tell that toxic players have horrible accuracy with their reports, so we reduce the value of their reports. If their accuracy gets bad enough, we don't count their reports at all.

More than likely, you ran into a toxic player whose report against you was meaningless. Based on your description, it sounded like you handled the situation in a very sportsmanlike manner, and you shouldn't worry at all about that report sending you to the Tribunal.
Will a player whose reports have been deemed "meaningless" eventually have their reporting ability restored over time?

I'm considered a toxic player because I've been to tribunal several times. My reports are likely meaningless because I've been reported so much and have been banned so much. When I come across another toxic player and my reports are meaningless, I feel like there's nothing I can do about it.

Kristari Zuboro

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawstruck View Post
1) I guess I've been struck by lightning then, because I've been banned for a case that was 5 games, 4 of them the forums (and me, obv) agreed were bogus, and 1 of which I got frustrated and raged a little. You say you correct for errors like this, but my experience is different.

2) How do you distinguish between ragers who report at the drop of a hat and people who, like me, have a very high standard of reporting? That is, calling me a "noob" in game (outside of joking) even once will lead to a report from me. I think, by the Summoner's Code, that's justified. Do you?

I dunno what they think, but if I were in charge - I think if your standard of reporting is that high, I would put you on my ignore list.

Montag

Player Experience Manager

01-29-2013
3 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquier View Post
As long as you are posting here Montag, can you help us better understand that?

If you played ranked on a regular basis, virtually every game has someone yelling "report" so and so. From my experience, 80% of those are just completely off base (someone is getting out played, having a bad game, and honestly people just can't handle being defeated so they need someone to blame).

It would just be nice to have some more assurances considering that even if we click that "punish button" in the Tribunal, it does appear that at least some of the cases either 1) have nothing to do with the alleged basis for the report or 2) should never have been a report. [Yes, the other two of 5 cases for example might be report worthy, but I think the concern is that "false reports" can get you in the system].
We're optimizing some things about cases displayed so that it's clearer why someone was sent to the Tribunal. The cases picked contain some bad behavior, but they're sometimes not representative of the whole case log for that player, which contributes to the perception about false reports. Even given that inefficiency, it's amazing how accurate Tribunal is without that optimization. Lyte made a post a week ago summarizing how much better behavior has gotten over the past year with all the changes we've made like Honor, reform cards, justice reviews, and LeaverBuster improvements.

Ranked in particular is a place we still need a lot of improvement, though, and we're on it. If you're interested in the direction we're going, I'd read through all of Lyte's comments in that thread. They're very insightful.

Esquier

01-29-2013

Thank you for the reply, much appreciated.