Nidalee splash rework?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fayori

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
Basically this. Additionally, I'm a bit less sensitive to "well, this other character got something, so I need something for this other character" - that expectation actually can hamstring us from doing stuff that's valuable for players unless we have time to do it 100% of the time.

The Goth Annie splash is older than the early Nidalee skins, so that might have driven the art team to do more here.
How is Leopard Nidalee's splash not on the same level as Goth Annie? It's one of those relics from the days where the only real differences between skin splash arts were the colors, and the poses/scenery were the same.

Edit: And of all the skins that could be swapped to the Chinese art, Leopard Nidalee would be a great candidate, as well as Snow Bunny.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morello

Lead Designer

01-29-2013
2 of 3 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayori View Post
How is Leopard Nidalee's splash not on the same level as Goth Annie? It's one of those relics from the days where the only real differences between skin splash arts were the colors, and the poses/scenery were the same.
You'd have to ask the artists on that - they make visual decisions like that and I tend to want to let them

However, if we got the Goth Annie splash "for free" (ie some artist felt passionate and just busrt it out in their own time), I'm not going to discourage that because Nidalee didn't get it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apollinarius

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakabridget View Post
Nid's default splash got updated, Annie's default and Goth were updated. And I think considering how bad the splash for goth was, it needed it a lot more than Nidalee.
I disagree with this statement so much. I was on the fence about buying the entire digital pack just for the old Goth Annie skin, primarily because I liked that splash so much. I have all of the other things in the pack, so that would have put the cost for the skin for me at well over the price of a Legendary.

The way the new skin and art looks, I wouldn't buy it as a 975 skin on sale.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acid Reigns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-29-2013

^agree with this.
The in game model looks so good now, but the splash is just so bad, I can't stand it >.<


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sophitia

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
You'd have to ask the artists on that - they make visual decisions like that and I tend to want to let them

However, if we got the Goth Annie splash "for free" (ie some artist felt passionate and just busrt it out in their own time), I'm not going to discourage that because Nidalee didn't get it.
While I agree that artists redoing old, outdated splash arts on their own is great (love Goth Annie's new art), I do think that some older splash arts should be redone on a schedule. E.g., Kayle's Silver splash, Annie's Goth, Annie's Red Riding, the old Nidalee recolor skins, Sorceress lux, Sasquash Nunu, Spectacular Sivir etc

. Some champs may be getting a rework, and that might delay these art reworks, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be scheduled and just done as a free time thing. The skin art is paid for as part of the skin, and updating /really/ old ones should be a priority for people that invested money into them imo.

If it's really too much trouble, then at least consider using the Chinese splash art for the really old skins until you can schedule the artists to do the art themselves.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bakabridget

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollinarius View Post
I disagree with this statement so much. I was on the fence about buying the entire digital pack just for the old Goth Annie skin, primarily because I liked that splash so much. I have all of the other things in the pack, so that would have put the cost for the skin for me at well over the price of a Legendary.

The way the new skin and art looks, I wouldn't buy it as a 975 skin on sale.
Joke? The old splash looks like her model slapped onto an empty black background.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acid Reigns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-29-2013

^And the new one is an annoying stereotypical misrepresentation of goth.

In the Shurima Desert Zilean skin he's not selling time bombs on the back market. That would be racist!
So why's this ok?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sophitia

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Reigns View Post
^And the new one is an annoying stereotypical misrepresentation of goth.

In the Shurima Desert Zilean skin he's not selling time bombs on the back market. That would be racist!
So why's this ok?
What? Goth is often considered a subculture, and it /is/ associated with dark attire, just as the Shurima Desert Zilean is tied to Middle-Eastern clothing. There's no misinterpretation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Acid Reigns

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-29-2013

It IS a subculture.
But goths do not sit in their rooms all day crying, in the dark...

It's not about how she's dressed, that's perfectly fine, it's about what she's doing.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sophitia

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Reigns View Post
It IS a subculture.
But goths do not sit in their rooms all day crying, in the dark...

It's not about how she's dressed, that's perfectly fine, it's about what she's doing.
She looks angry rather than sad. If you look at her eyes, she seems to have a menacing look rather than a "Oh woe is me" kind of persona.

She's bringing her bear (her one friend) to life, which is entirely representative of Annie's entire theme.