@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupathingy188 View Post
First question: It really depends on what you're looking for (how you learn). If you learn better by seeing someone do it, I know youtube has plenty of "learn programming tutorials." If you learn best by experimentation and trial/error, then I would probably suggest looking up tutorials just to get to learn the syntax of the language you want to learn, and then use websites like http://www.cplusplus.com/ (c++) or http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html (java). In addition http://stackoverflow.com/ is a great place to go to ask programming questions. Sometimes the people there are a little blunt, but usually they are extremely helpful.

Second question: This also depends on personal preference. The 2 widely considered beginner languages are Java and C++. Java is probably the easiest language to get into. But C++ allows you to do more (and when you fully understand it, you understand how computer work behind the scenes).
If you choose to do Java, Eclipse is probably the best IDE (integrated development environment) for it. It can look overwhelming at first but once you get use to it, it will help immensely, because it really helps in the debugging. Other options range anywhere from NetBeans to Notepad++. (Another note, you'll need to download the JDK (java development kit) if you want to start programming in java http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html)
If you choose top do C++, the IDE's are generally not referred to as user friendly as Java's are, but they work just as well. The IDE that most people would recommend is Microsoft Visual Studio, but for just starting out (unless extremely committed) I would not recommend this one because it is not a free download. One of my favorites is Sublime Text 2. It can be downloaded as a trial, and you can program just about any language on it, and it will recognize the language, and try to help you program it.
Thanks, I currently do have access to Microsoft Visual Studio. I've tried Tutorials which can be nice, but I do not learn well from doing them like that. My best learning experience has always come from a "guided" learning method. I like to consider a programming language the same way I could a regular language for the most part.

So something on the lines of how Rosetta Stone works for languages. I would like to find something like that for programming. It doesn't have to be free. I understand also, that Rosetta Stone is often labeled one of the biggest scams for language learning, but this isnt about credibility just about using its set up as an example.

I find I get lost when having to read huge walls of texts on tutorials about what something is. Often time the tutorials ive seen do not simplify what they explain, leaving me in utter confusion for many pages just to understand what exactly its getting at. I may have just been looking at bad tutorials because in general I have almost no issue learning new things.

Do you know of anything that in anyway matches what I've mentioned above? My preferred language would be C++ as it is used more in general with my fields of interest and can easily transfer over to other languages with a strong backing of knowledge.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chupathingy

Senior Member

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Unt 02 View Post
Thanks, I currently do have access to Microsoft Visual Studio. I've tried Tutorials which can be nice, but I do not learn well from doing them like that. My best learning experience has always come from a "guided" learning method. I like to consider a programming language the same way I could a regular language for the most part.

So something on the lines of how Rosetta Stone works for languages. I would like to find something like that for programming. It doesn't have to be free. I understand also, that Rosetta Stone is often labeled one of the biggest scams for language learning, but this isnt about credibility just about using its set up as an example.

I find I get lost when having to read huge walls of texts on tutorials about what something is. Often time the tutorials ive seen do not simplify what they explain, leaving me in utter confusion for many pages just to understand what exactly its getting at. I may have just been looking at bad tutorials because in general I have almost no issue learning new things.

Do you know of anything that in anyway matches what I've mentioned above? My preferred language would be C++ as it is used more in general with my fields of interest and can easily transfer over to other languages with a strong backing of knowledge.
I believe I know of one similar to what you want. I can't find it right now though. Add me in-game and I'll send it to you when I find it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupathingy188 View Post
I believe I know of one similar to what you want. I can't find it right now though. Add me in-game and I'll send it to you when I find it.
Ok I will after this match, Thank you


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KevinGregg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Unt 02 View Post
Ok I will after this match, Thank you

Could you post it here? I would like to see it as well.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

iMRts

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anymeese View Post
I've seen a LOT of reds post on the forums, but NEVER.. not once.. seen a "programmer" tag Is it just that you call it more specific things, or do the programmers never check the forums? I'd love to talk about coding and the game industry and stuff! (see: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...1#post33889181)
programmers are like people with autism, socially awkward, why would they mingle with the community?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ˆMakotoˆ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGregg View Post
Could you post it here? I would like to see it as well.
ill keep this open, if I get any info, ill pass it along.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darkred11

Senior Member

01-29-2013

hello world :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

A Swarm of Hobos

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Heh, I don't know a lot about our matchmaking system, either, but I was figured I'd engage the OP in a discussion on the topic to see what he has come up with versus what I might come up with. Feel free to join in WhattayaBrian. : )
How did you learn to teach yourself any new languages? I've tried reading and watching tutorials but idk nothing sticks. I've wanted to program for gaming companies all my life but my school doesn't offer anything related to programming besides math and im taking best I can.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pushover

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley183 View Post
How did you learn to teach yourself any new languages? I've tried reading and watching tutorials but idk nothing sticks. I've wanted to program for gaming companies all my life but my school doesn't offer anything related to programming besides math and im taking best I can.
In general, the first programming language is the most difficult, after you learn 1 language, the majority of them are very similar. Java, C, C++, etc are all rather similar at the basic level.

The first things you really learn are printing, keyboard input, loops, variables, and 'if' statements. With those, and variables, you can generally make a text based RPG of some kind. With that, you can do things like add features, and teach yourself more that way.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Optimus Reim34

Senior Member

01-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
You know one language, you know them all. If you really know C++, you can pick up any other language very quickly. What's most important is being able to program well and prove that you can. You should try to feel as comfortable as you can with:

1. Choosing a data structure or algorithm for a given situation. They each have their tradeoffs.
2. Being able to understand other programmers' code, even when its written in a different style than yours.
3. How to architect a new system to be extensible and sensible.
4. How to refactor an old system.

These are all extremely critical skillsets that are language agnostic (except #2 in Python lololololol).



Hmmmmmmm........

Well, there's a long overdue bug getting fixed in the next patch related to stats. I'm pretty happy with that.


I wouldnt say all the programming languages. Cobol is in a league of its own. It's the annoying cousin of the programming languages that no one wants to talk to. Of all the languages I learned figures I got a job at a bank working with the worst language lol.