@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chupathingy

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post

C++, of course. If you've ever seen the old live action Super Mario Bros movie, Koopa says this line:

"You know what I love about mud? It's clean and it's dirty at the same time."
Whats your favorite language architecture (functional/service/object oriented /...)

EddieJ

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTerra View Post
Learn to be passionate about what you're doing (if one can learn such a thing... it is more about finding what you are passionate about). I did programming side projects for about a year and a half before I applied, and that was on top of being a programmer analyst full time.

If you know the position you someday want to have, then look at the requirements you don't meet and... go learn them

true

Xenîth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Depends on what you are working on. I have worked on very few backend projects in my career that weren't in Java.

Again, it depends on what you are working on. For the kind of stuff the client guys do, there's a lot more math than what I do.

Java : )
I found my new favorite Red.

On a side note to this thread.
An example of the people who dislike math and like programming. All of it is problem solving, so it really goes hand in hand.

A good example (I think( is like when you were a kid given a bunch of differently blocks and you have to shove them in the similarly shaped hole. You learn that by trial and error at first, but then you start to understand an system behind it. IE: How many sides it has, how big it is, etc. I like to think programming is like that, because you start to learn what algorithms or data structures should be used in a problem. That's why I think it's so fun.

Xenîth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jushiiro View Post
Is there any point in learning assembly programming?
Do you want to be one of those people that make security programs / companies cry?

ˆMakotoˆ

01-28-2013

Quote:
Heh, I don't know a lot about our matchmaking system, either, but I was figured I'd engage the OP in a discussion on the topic to see what he has come up with versus what I might come up with. Feel free to join in WhattayaBrian. : )
RiotSchmick or WhattayaBrian

I plan to pick up programming / software Engineering as a Major for college once I start going (probably this next fall) I am curious. Do you know any good websites that I can self teach through? And what programs would I need downloaded to do this?

Anyone can answer, not just riot

Xenîth

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserturkey View Post
<--Indy Game developer and Computer Science student(Interned at IBM) question for you guys, when I worked at IBM I got to do development on an agile development team not going to go into too much detail, I'm just curious as to what you guys do in terms of development strategies, do you use agile methodologies and such and any SCM solutions, automation for regression testing etc?
On their careers page, it said that it varied from team to team. Pretty much, team decides the best course of action.

MadridFC

01-28-2013

Quote:
We use a wide variety, depending on the project. The ones that you mentioned are always good to learn for fundamentals.
heres the deal my goal is to work at riot, im a foreign studying Software engineer and killing my self with Study work and why not some league, just going to sleep 3 hours now to get to the work spend the last 4 horus studying java any advive would be great.

tempname950

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Well, I headed up an effort (along with some other badasses) to reorganize our content to give us better control over what we ship. We also rearchitected the way we interact with content in the code, removing lots of points of failure and keeping things logically consistent. This is what has allowed us to utilize the PBE much more than we used to, which means more time for testing and less bugs going live. I'm really proud of that.

C++, of course. If you've ever seen the old live action Super Mario Bros movie, Koopa says this line:

"You know what I love about mud? It's clean and it's dirty at the same time."

That's C++!

Nope!

I definitely don't think I could do my job if I didn't also love math. And while I don't often use Calculus, you sure as hell better know your Linear Algebra.

Shoot!

How well should I know Linear Algebra. I'm currently starting my B.C.S majoring in games programming, and Linear Algebra is an extra core fundamental unit that I have to take. I was going to just get by through it, but since you mentioned it, should it become my most favourite class in the world?

Chupathingy

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Unt 02 View Post
RiotSchmick or WhattayaBrian

I plan to pick up programming / software Engineering as a Major for college once I start going (probably this next fall) I am curious. Do you know any good websites that I can self teach through? And what programs would I need downloaded to do this?

Anyone can answer, not just riot
First question: It really depends on what you're looking for (how you learn). If you learn better by seeing someone do it, I know youtube has plenty of "learn programming tutorials." If you learn best by experimentation and trial/error, then I would probably suggest looking up tutorials just to get to learn the syntax of the language you want to learn, and then use websites like http://www.cplusplus.com/ (c++) or http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/index.html (java). In addition http://stackoverflow.com/ is a great place to go to ask programming questions. Sometimes the people there are a little blunt, but usually they are extremely helpful.

Second question: This also depends on personal preference. The 2 widely considered beginner languages are Java and C++. Java is probably the easiest language to get into. But C++ allows you to do more (and when you fully understand it, you understand how computer work behind the scenes).
If you choose to do Java, Eclipse is probably the best IDE (integrated development environment) for it. It can look overwhelming at first but once you get use to it, it will help immensely, because it really helps in the debugging. Other options range anywhere from NetBeans to Notepad++. (Another note, you'll need to download the JDK (java development kit) if you want to start programming in java http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...ads/index.html)
If you choose top do C++, the IDE's are generally not referred to as user friendly as Java's are, but they work just as well. The IDE that most people would recommend is Microsoft Visual Studio, but for just starting out (unless extremely committed) I would not recommend this one because it is not a free download. One of my favorites is Sublime Text 2. It can be downloaded as a trial, and you can program just about any language on it, and it will recognize the language, and try to help you program it.

john

01-28-2013

i have a question as well

if any of you are long-time riot programmers (i.e. you were there before season 1) can you tell me about any difficulties you may have come across due to the game's rapidly exploding popularity, and how you effectively dealt with them? anything from scalability issues to security problems to software design in general.

thanks