@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BackDoorBum

01-28-2013

Why did the team decide to go with Adobe Air for the front end client, I have all sorts of annoyances with it.

Ryster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Do you guys have a lot of web developers? Because it seems like your website has been nearly the same for a while. Also, other simple things like avatars and profiles aren't even here. Is that because you guys don't have the people to do so, or is that something lower on the chain of things to do?

I am taking a web programming class right now as well as my software engineering and computer architecture. And I just was learning about how easy some web programming can be in comparison with other coding. Just curious about how many web programmers are there? Or do some other coders work on the website in the downtime since it is a simpler coding process (in some peoples opinions).

Fiddlysticks

01-28-2013

i also have a few question (my programming knowledge is limited to 1st yr undergrad):

1. since lol is such a big game (im guessing ~10k+ lines of code?) im sure u guys have to read/edit other programmers code. do u guys ever get pissed off due to poor documentation or bad style of the code?

2. being the master programmers u are, do u still get compile or exception errors when u code?

Toaru Baka

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
I still want the title "Does the Codez", but I'm not sure how well that would go over...

For the record, the Game Client is coded in C++, and I loooooooooove talking about programming.
Maybe this is a good time to ask this burning question I (and many others) have had.

If the game client itself is written in C++, why have an AIR based Portal? Wouldn't it make sense to use fewer languages in a project the size of LoL? Is there something special that AIR gives you that Java or C++ doesn't? There are many good windowing toolkits available for both languages (Qt comes to mind).

Another more out there question, yet somewhat related..
I know that League uses RTMP for client-server communication, but did that spawn from using AIR for the client, or did it offer you something that was too valuable to pass up, and using RTMP resulted in using AIR for it's native RTMP support (IE, both made by Adobe).

Just curious

Laserturkey

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaugh View Post
i also have a few question (my programming knowledge is limited to 1st yr undergrad):

1. since lol is such a big game (im guessing ~10k+ lines of code?) im sure u guys have to read/edit other programmers code. do u guys ever get pissed off due to poor documentation or bad style of the code?

2. being the master programmers u are, do u still get compile or exception errors when u code?
Can't speak for Riot but #1) is common for most companies, there will always be legacy code most of the time and other times where documentation can't be or is forgotten some people leave and some people move to other teams however it appears like newer companies don't have this same pitfall. Code reviews = success!

Fisherman Fizz

01-28-2013

Sadly I'm still just a first year undergrad student so I can't really follow along with most of this thread :c

@anyone who does know a lot more than me, how long did it take until you felt like you had a solid grasp of how everything works?

Aheadatime

01-28-2013

Serious question.

http://www.1channel.ch/tv-9594-The-B...on-4-episode-8

There is the link to the big bang theory season 4 episode 8 (evident by the link title). If you don't trust it, you can just type 1channel. ch in google and see for yourself. They allow you to choose your own player when you want to watch an episode. Put Locker, Sock Share, and Videoslasher all use the same player. However, lately when i click on any of the Videoslasher links, it just freezes while loading.

Is this up your alley? Is this player/website shut down? There used to be something called Curica or whatever as a free TV website that utilized Sock Share and Put Locker and i haven't been able to find that online in many months. I have a theory that its been taken down due to copyright infringement.

Toaru Baka

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Fizz View Post
Sadly I'm still just a first year undergrad student so I can't really follow along with most of this thread :c

@anyone who does know a lot more than me, how long did it take until you felt like you had a solid grasp of how everything works?
If you think you have a solid grasp of how everything works, you're probably wrong That's the best part about CS. THERE IS ALWAYS MORE! It's such a wide field, but it has a very solid base. Once you understand the basics, you can expand on those. I picked it pretty quickly (I love discrete math and problem solving). But it varies- I'm a sophomore, and I've had 2 different CS jobs doing completely different things, so I've had a lot of experience.

If you want to learn more, try to come up with project ideas and make them. Google is your best friend. So are forums, but don't ask them to code it for you Ask for help when you're stuck, places like stackoverflow are amazing resources with fantastic people!.

Good luck!

Glyx

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

Hi, undergraduate CS major at UCSD (shoutout to Phreak =D). I more or less started the CS major because a lot of my friends were also in that major. Problem solving and doing puzzles and brain teasers and such are something i love to do and enjoy doing very much. However, I kind of have "problem", and that is I tend to do work only when it's given to me as opposed to go looking for it. IS there a way to work around that? Or do i simply just need to turret dive into any opportunity i see?

ps (current learning C and SPARC assembly)

Laserturkey

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman Fizz View Post

For me learning is non stop I don't stop after CS class Home work and tests are in the clear queue, I do it because I want to learn and I experiment a lot, either building my portfolio with games I develop( and software I create websites and such, internships I apply for and get in). All I can say is don't stop learning, read books etc, pay attention in class and involve yourself in such activities if you can CS clubs are great;I've been apart of starting and continuing one. Set high goals and learn from experienced people but do not forget to experiment yourself, I can't put a time mark on this as it is different by each person, it depends on your drive .