@Riot: Where are all the programmers? :,(

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sprelf

01-28-2013

I've loved programming since I first picked it up on a graphing calculator back in early high school. I've been programming nonstop since then, and I feel I have a very strong grasp of the mindset of problem solving it requires, and I have a pretty good knowledge of data structures/algorithms and their applications.

However I feel I've hit a brick wall. I can write programs to do what I want on my computer, but I have no idea how to publish them to the world. The process of packing all the files (images, text files, etc) into a neat and simple form, and the process of accounting for the nuances in the variety of computers it could run on.

I'll have my Associate's degree in Computer Languages this spring, but I didn't learn a darn thing about this aspect of programming. Is this something I will learn if I continue on to a bachelor's? Is there any place I can go to learn more about this sooner (I've tried and failed to find one)?

Samflash3

01-28-2013

Was time management ever a problem when you guys were in the university? I'm currently in my second year of engineering and it seems like i cant seem to get myself moltivated to finish a task.

WhattayaBrian

Engineer

01-28-2013
18 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jushiiro View Post
Is there any point in learning assembly programming?
Yes! There are multiple really good reasons.

1. It helps you understand how a computer thinks. This is so critical for writing efficient code quickly.
2. There are things you can only do in assembly. For example, say you want a stack dump at the time of a crash. You can find utilities to do this for you, but the end result is the same: they look up the stack pointer at the esp register, and use the information there to look up into the PDB to grab symbols. Also, "asm int 3;" is a software breakpoint. So badass.
3. For some particularly nasty bugs, being able to understand a code's disassembly is incredibly useful. This is helpful for things like a class being compiled differently in two different compilation units.
4. For the things you really need to be efficient, asm can be the way to go if you know what you're doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtwizted View Post
I tried to add you on league but iunno if you got request or not @_@
got a lotta random questions here and there so i thought maybe that'd be best way to ask xd

but basically we are trying to recreate riot's matchmaking (on intermediate level) using java/c & sql

how would you suggest approaching this? (we have some ideas but we're not sure if we would be doing it efficiently)

if riotschmick would like to shed some light on this it would be much appreciated as well
Sorry, my friends list is full, which means you get auto-declined.
I actually know very little about matchmaking, so Schmick is your best bet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samflash3 View Post
Is the life of a programmer any fun?
SO MUCH FUN.

RiotSchmick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Software Engineer

Follow RiotSchmick on Twitter

01-28-2013
19 of 73 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhattayaBrian View Post
Yes!
I actually know very little about matchmaking, so Schmick is your best bet!
Heh, I don't know a lot about our matchmaking system, either, but I was figured I'd engage the OP in a discussion on the topic to see what he has come up with versus what I might come up with. Feel free to join in WhattayaBrian. : )

Buderfingers

01-28-2013

5 months ago I would not understand anything in this thread. Now I feel like I could almost make a logical contribution to the conversation...almost. Been learning Java for the past 5 months on the way to a Computer Engineering degree.

As far as the whole math thing goes, I feel like the majority of the math that you learn after, say, Calc 2 you wont really be using at all in most places that you go in life. The reason you keep learning it, though, is that it just outright makes you smarter. At least in my experience, the more I understand math, the more I understand most other things that I learn. That extra problem solving practice can go a long way.

Kchaosrei

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-28-2013

since riot is in this thread alot.

Custom games aren't starting up correctly made a thread in bug area but wanted a red to actually see it

Phreaks Kid

01-28-2013

So, how much do you guys hate MatLab just like my professor?

SlayerZ

Recruiter

01-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotSchmick View Post
Have you thought about how you would implement a match making system? What algorithms are you considering using? What are you planning on using the database for?

Our matchmaking is most likely going to be a simulator based on random profiles generated using the elo rating tier that was introduced in the end of S2.
Quote:
Bronze: Between 0 and 1149 (Team: 0-1249) (Top 100%)
Silver: Between 1150 and 1499 (Team: 1250-1449) (Top 68%-13%) Majority of Active Player Base
Gold: Between 1500 and 1849 (Team: 1450-1649) (Top 13%-1.5%)
Platinum: Between 1850 and 2199 (Team: 1650-1849) (Top 1.5%-0.1%)
Diamond: 2200 and above (Team: 1850+) (Top 0.1%)
The algorithms we are going to create for matchmaking is going to factor in elo/match hisotry/level/queue time priority and we will test how 'successful' we are by using probability and statistics that we can gather from how the elo system works (I believe it was something along the lines of 400 elo over someone = chances of winning is increased by 10x).

The database would be used to hold the generated profiles and to manage the net gain/loss of elo and display players that are currently in game/queue/online/idle/etc.

We're not quite sure if we need to actually use SQL to manage the database of generated profiles or if we are able to do it within the java/c codes, or how we would put it all together in the end.

Would really love to have a discussion over this via league client or skype instead of having to f5 all day lol

Quision

01-28-2013

19 posts in an hour @_@

Laserturkey

01-28-2013

<--Indy Game developer and Computer Science student(Interned at IBM) question for you guys, when I worked at IBM I got to do development on an agile development team not going to go into too much detail, I'm just curious as to what you guys do in terms of development strategies, do you use agile methodologies and such and any SCM solutions, automation for regression testing etc?