Help me grow my LoL Meme website :c?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

omgwing

Senior Member

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirtingSquid View Post
No.

Stahp.
ustahp


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hisaki

Junior Member

01-26-2013

Hey. Hey, you.

http://www.leaguememe.com/page/meme/...ort/all/type/1

See that? It was originally from here:

http://cacti.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d33crav

Being the artist's roommate, I can fully state that, at no point, did you ever get permission from him to use that image on your site. I don't know if you or someone else posted it, but honestly, when you're doing a content-hosting site, there are ownership issues you need to be aware of.

Outright taking stuff from various webcomics (VGCats, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Tales of Valoran), any number of successful and very hard-working cosplayers, artists, and YouTube members and slapping your watermark on these articles is not acceptable. If you'd like, I could have Cacti comment on the issue himself, but he's a bit busy at present (though not too busy to intervene here).

In short, I can appreciate what you're trying to do with your site, but use original content. Your whole argument about YouTube uploads is largely fallible; try uploading a copy of a band's music video on YouTube, or one of their tracks without providing appropriate credit and purchase links, and see how quickly your account is banned from the site. Pretending to know how copyrights work doesn't mean you're invulnerable to their actual operation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zombie Java Joe

Junior Member

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwing View Post
the internet itself might be illegal then, chill out sit back and enjoy. Not everything was uploaded by me.

I try to credit every original picture to the maker.
I hear this excuse a lot from people like yourself who take other people's work and then tag that work with their website's address. It's a silly argument, used by people who have no talent of their own, and elect to rest upon the laurels of others. I find the practice completely reprehensible.

As someone who actually takes the time to create humorous images as a hobby, runs a page with nothing but original memes and funny images on it, as well as plays league of legends, I found your page to be no better than the bagillion Facebook pages that feed upon the work of others. It was "meh" at best, and truly lacks any originality.

As for giving credit to people "when I can" that is also an incredibly weak excuse. Learn to use the Google image search feature and you can give credit where credit is due on every single picture. You also don't get to play the "I don't upload everything" card either. As the site administrator you have complete control over what is and isn't uploaded to your website.

As Wil Wheaton likes to say, "Don't be a Dick", give credit where credit is due, and don't tag other people's work with your website watermark, that is a "dick" move in any playbook.

Have fun !


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

omgwing

Senior Member

01-26-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisaki View Post
Hey. Hey, you.

http://www.leaguememe.com/page/meme/...ort/all/type/1

See that? It was originally from here:

http://cacti.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d33crav

Being the artist's roommate, I can fully state that, at no point, did you ever get permission from him to use that image on your site. I don't know if you or someone else posted it, but honestly, when you're doing a content-hosting site, there are ownership issues you need to be aware of.

Outright taking stuff from various webcomics (VGCats, Ctrl-Alt-Del, Tales of Valoran), any number of successful and very hard-working cosplayers, artists, and YouTube members and slapping your watermark on these articles is not acceptable. If you'd like, I could have Cacti comment on the issue himself, but he's a bit busy at present (though not too busy to intervene here).

In short, I can appreciate what you're trying to do with your site, but use original content. Your whole argument about YouTube uploads is largely fallible; try uploading a copy of a band's music video on YouTube, or one of their tracks without providing appropriate credit and purchase links, and see how quickly your account is banned from the site. Pretending to know how copyrights work doesn't mean you're invulnerable to their actual operation.

Yes, I do see that.

Putting images on the internet is almost asking it to be re-posted anywhere online, same goes with any other site.

TBH, the only reason why I put watermark was because I've seen it on other website (I know, I know just because I saw it on another website doesn't mean I have to follow the same path..but I did) at first i really did not see it as a big issue As long as its removable, and could be credited with her/his name or with her/his website url.

If my art was getting re-posted by other websites I would be extremely happy, but I guess slapping a watermark on it is a bit too much!

Although your argument about copyright is completely wrong, your relating it to one example i had stated. if your friend is making art about ashe and veigar then your friend might as well credit league of legends for introducing those characters. now that is bringing it too far.

What I do agree with you is that, i might have been self-fish when I started this website, of having watermarks, which is why i will respect this community opinion and will get it removed or changed. I have many images on this website and I do not see how I will be able to get rid of the watermarks that were already posted


Quote:
Originally Posted by Urgsplatt Da Ork View Post
I hear this excuse a lot from people like yourself who take other people's work and then tag that work with their website's address. It's a silly argument, used by people who have no talent of their own, and elect to rest upon the laurels of others. I find the practice completely reprehensible.

As someone who actually takes the time to create humorous images as a hobby, runs a page with nothing but original memes and funny images on it, as well as plays league of legends, I found your page to be no better than the bagillion Facebook pages that feed upon the work of others. It was "meh" at best, and truly lacks any originality.

As for giving credit to people "when I can" that is also an incredibly weak excuse. Learn to use the Google image search feature and you can give credit where credit is due on every single picture. You also don't get to play the "I don't upload everything" card either. As the site administrator you have complete control over what is and isn't uploaded to your website.

As Wil Wheaton likes to say, "Don't be a Dick", give credit where credit is due, and don't tag other people's work with your website watermark, that is a "dick" move in any playbook.

Have fun !
You are saying that my website lacks originality just because I have watermark is absurd.
My website was a starting idea to get other people famous, and a way for others to upload their league of legends art for league of legends fans to receive feedback. A way for youtubers to gain more recognition by other fellow fan of league of legends!

also please teach me some advice einstein, how i can search an image up to look for the original maker?

again, I do give credits, and I try and listen to others and edit the credit button to give full credit to other when found. (at the moment..button is broken)

I will change the watermark though thanks for the advice!














Just sit back, relax and enjoy the site. If you do not enjoy the site, let others enjoy it. I do not have the time to argue about watermarks and "copyright" (just to let you know you can't copyright an art that league of legends made other then riot) for the next 10 pages as i clearly stated that its a problem on the front page. I respect all of your perspective about water-mark, and will seek more guidance from fans. Thanks!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

omgwing

Senior Member

01-27-2013

morning bump +)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ringo Mandingo

Senior Member

01-27-2013

i like the X on your team ones


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hisaki

Junior Member

01-27-2013

Alright, ignoring your entirely fallible argument because it is just that, there's another very unpleasant problem with the fact that your site has nothing but the works of others all over it:

Your site also has ads all over it.

Those ads are making money for the site. Your site contains nothing but the works of other people, not your own original work, and not work that others have willingly contributed to the site.

Therefore, your site is making money off of work others have done, which you have taken and allowed onto your site. You have stolen the work from the original authors, and now you're trying to make money off of their efforts.

That's an outright illegality. Also, using the excuse that "anybody can upload to the site" isn't going to work. I just tested it myself; you apparently have an approval system in place that holds submissions before they're allowed into the site. As the one that owns the site, it's your responsibility to ensure that credit is given to the original author, and that you have their permission to host their work on your money-making site.

However, I get the feeling that you just happily click away at the button to accept submissions without caring at all whether the original creators would be upset about it or not. It's far less than an ideal situation.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ParaBellam

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Getting real tired of people misusing meme.

Meme implies that it's something that is popular and wide spread. Words alone don't even make it a rage face.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

omgwing

Senior Member

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisaki View Post
Alright, ignoring your entirely fallible argument because it is just that, there's another very unpleasant problem with the fact that your site has nothing but the works of others all over it:

Your site also has ads all over it.

Those ads are making money for the site. Your site contains nothing but the works of other people, not your own original work, and not work that others have willingly contributed to the site.

Therefore, your site is making money off of work others have done, which you have taken and allowed onto your site. You have stolen the work from the original authors, and now you're trying to make money off of their efforts.

That's an outright illegality. Also, using the excuse that "anybody can upload to the site" isn't going to work. I just tested it myself; you apparently have an approval system in place that holds submissions before they're allowed into the site. As the one that owns the site, it's your responsibility to ensure that credit is given to the original author, and that you have their permission to host their work on your money-making site.

However, I get the feeling that you just happily click away at the button to accept submissions without caring at all whether the original creators would be upset about it or not. It's far less than an ideal situation.
You can add me on skype and i can happily reply back to you.
do you see a problem off youtube? even if i do make money off this website i don't make a lot, i spend it back on the website itself and give RP away to my fans. I have not yet made any profit on this site and i don't plan on doing so. so please if you don't know anything dont even talk lol

your trying to make it look like its a big deal by putting images on a website, it isnt lol. if it is such a big deal why don't you go complain to the bigger websites like elohell and tell them to remove their watermark? They don't even try to give credit to anything. "Using the excuse that anyone can upload on the site".

1. it isnt an excuse, you seem like a person who really wants to try-hard on the internet without making any sense
2. It is to prevent spam and letting users see porn images or any disturbing images

Also NO ONE has the time to go through thousand of pages trying to find the original owner of what ever content, it is out there for others to enjoy, not there to have a big ego discussion about who did what.

When you look at a picture do you try to find out who made that comic/meme/picture? No.

Again, i try my best to credit users when found, when they are not found or/ found by other fans I will edit the credit button and replace their url or name onto it.

I dont see how any original maker would be upset to showcase their art lol, and some are submission from fans. ill talk more about it with you if your uncomfortable drop your skype or add me in game.

There is no point arguing here because there is for sure miscommunication everywhere.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hisaki

Junior Member

01-27-2013

Whatever you spend the money you make off of the website is irrelevant; you're still making money off of the work of others. It's like hanging a copy of the Mona Lisa in a museum, claiming it's yours, and not paying the honorary fees to heritage trusts; you'll be sued and thoroughly bankrupted with no hesitation.

Yet you accuse me of knowing nothing on the issue of copyright; very well then, the burden of proof in any legal matter is on the accuser. Show me where I'm wrong. I'm waiting. Go ahead. Reference a legal document showing that copyright law works just as you state it, or cease your childish prattle.

I also have no idea what "websites like elo" are, but to give you an example of how these things work:

http://www.lolbase.net/

Look at the bottom there. See the bits where credit is duly given? Also, a request had to be filed with Riot to establish such a site. In both cases, you haven't done what they've done; namely, given credit and asked for permission to open such a site.

The excuse that nobody has time to find the original owners is also not an excuse for property theft. If you stole a car on the side of the road that you've seen sitting there for six months, and then the police knock on your door to reclaim the car and arrest you for theft for stealing someone's property, do you think that "I didn't have time to look for the owner!" is going to work as an excuse? No, it won't, but again, feel free to cite a copyright law to shush me.

As for figuring out who made a meme or a comic, usually, the authors of said meme or comic are printed straight on the image or on the site it's hosted on. It's not difficult to figure out who the creator is. Unless it's on your site, oddly enough.

And if you can't see how the original creators would be upset, you're clearly not even acknowledging the fact that you're stealing their content to make money off of it. I've spoken to some of the artist you've stolen from, and they're less than happy with the news. I'd imagine you'll hear from a few in a bit.

And no, I won't draw this to Skype. Your vivisection should be complete and quite visible. Again, point me to a copyright law that states that I am wrong, and I will gladly bow my head in shame and admit I've been a fool this whole time. I don't believe you'll do any such thing, though.