I'm RiotGypsy. AMAA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

gypsylord

Champion Designer

01-27-2013
60 of 65 Riot Posts

75-81:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacialwrath View Post
Heya!

A while back I made a champion design... Then kinda stopped checking as well, I simply couldn't get interest. I doubt I could, but I am interested in what you have to say. Thoughts?

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2571786
I guess my initial feedback on this guy is that you're a little too focused on "mechanics" and it's coming at the cost of "feel." What I mean by this is you've got a lot of things in your kit that may make sense from a mechanics standpoint but would end up feeling pretty bad when actually played. R not being affected by CDR is no fun. That basically tells players that there is a whole set of items he can't buy for some arbitrary reason. CD's can be balanced. If his ult is too good we just make the CD higher. E not allowing casting of W is also a little awkward. Spells locking out other spells usually feel pretty bad unless the kit is built around it (like Udyr or Sona).

I like the general idea of the E though. A haste aura that you get by hitting dudes. Could be very cool and visceral in game. Hit a guy and get a "pulse" of energy that radiates out to your teammates. Gets bigger the more hits you get in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfighter123 View Post
it it cold in alaska?
Always.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShartDiaper View Post
How did you get a job at Riot designing heroes when you majored in economics and didn't even study anything related to game design? Do you have any history as a game designer?
No history. The first thing I ever designed was a champion rework for my design test from Riot. The second thing I ever designed was Vi. I think they gave me the job because they saw I was smart, passionate, and good at solving problems with through analysis. Or maybe it was just my looks, my smile melts hearts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXrevenge View Post
Why did you drop out of pre med?
Think of it this way: Morello is dying of a disease and you're like: well, buff teemo or die.
You can only profit from this.
Riot made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Games > Hospitals. If they hadn't hired me probably would have done a 5th year then applied to med school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang69 View Post
My favorite champs are:

Lee Sin
Olaf
Kennen
Akali
Ezreal

I dare you to make one better!
Challenge accepted!

How'd I do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garzek View Post
Gypsy, this is what I am thinking is my "ideal" build on Vi:

Ninja or Mercs
Manamura
Frozen Gauntlet
Blade of the Ruined King
Black Cleaver
Runic Bulwark/Zeke's/Blood Thirster/GA/Maw (just depends what the other team is running)

WHAT SAY YOU LAD

WHAT SAY YOU
Your build isn't bad except for the muramana, she doesn't really have huge mana problems and only her auto's are single target.

Here's mine:
Merc's + Alacrity enchant
Spirit of the Lizard Elder
Frozen Mallet
Bloodthirster
Black Cleaver
Bulwark/Stark's/Warmogs/IE/LW/Zephyr depending on the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFiggly View Post
do you ever get that creepy feeling at work that everybody is forcing more enthusiasm that they have for playing the game / the game itself?
Is complimenting DOTA taboo? Are there running anti-HoN/DOTA jokes in the office?
Complimenting DotA is fine People at Riot tend to enjoy LoL. Not much forced enthusiasm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipwnproz View Post
So what do you think of the Login i did for the Hero you created Vi Link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PvjbDbM9nc tell me what you think
I like the music
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akslickricky View Post
What champs have you help designed or made
I made Vi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamander View Post
Nice job on Vi gypsy. Is she your first champion so far?

Now my real question (I did a great job breaking the ice, right), you said before you were a theater major. Have you seen the Broadway show of "The Book of Mormon" yet? Its hilarious, and its on tour right now so if it gets to where you live I highly suggest checking it out
Glad you like Vi, first and only champ so far. Working on 2 more ATM.

Really need to see Book of Mormon. I hear it's da best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettapod View Post
What's your favorite color?
Blue

Pie Kills

01-27-2013

How did you come up with ur name?

._. has this been answered?

Kagami

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Leona being super strong in other lanes scares me. Remember when Lulu could go mid?
You'vs earned my scorn for this comment as avid fan of AP Lulu; honestly the overnerfing of her AP while other AP supports (ie Lux and Zyra for example) are allowed to valid laners and supports is one the balance decisions that bothered me more than most any other that riot has made in my year and a half of playing.

I realize her harass was considered "problematic" thus nerfed to point of overkill, but why couldn't riot give her a bit more AP ratio on her ult or shield to allow to be valid mid without being the same state as before.

And I'd like you to know since S3 I've yet to see a person besides myself dare to lane her top or mid.

So my question why does you think it's OK for some supports to get to lane well, but not others?</rant>

gypsylord

Champion Designer

01-27-2013
61 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtielx View Post
Two of my all time favorite heroes are essentially worthless.

The first being Brand, a damage only mage with medium ranges. He doesn't shine at any area possible and there is literally no reason for him to ever be used. I also feel like his laning phase is subpar. Do you (Riot) have any plans on fixing him? I've been trying for almost a year to get a red response but to avail.

The second is Warwick. He hasn't been a good jungle choice since S2 and S3 didn't change that. Simply put, having no pressure or counterganks pre 6 in solo AND competitive play means you aren't usable.

His top lane was gutted with a huge damage nerf to his Q. I greatly wish his passive would never have been remade because it didn't fix his jungling nor accomplish anything other than bring him nerfs.

Will he ever be usable again?
Brand has a problem in that he is a burst mage in a game where strong burst mages have the potential to be incredibly toxic. It really sucks to get one-shotted and to reduce this frustration we aren't able to make the burst mages' damage all that much higher than that of the the utility mages'. Brand is only going to combo for 10-20% more damage than an Anivia. Is he still better at bursting? Yes. The problem is that when you pick him you end up giving up a ton of utility for a very marginal benefit. So yeah, that's the problem I see. To "fix" brand we'd have to "fix" burst mages in general. Not sure how we'd do that asides from just turning them into more utility mages...Also, Brand may actually be a lot better with season three items...Liandry's + Rylai's + his passive is pretty insane.

Now about WW...He's not weak. He really isn't weak at all. Competitively viable? Maybe not. Viable for our average player all the way up to 1900 elo? Most certainly.

It doesn't matter that his jungle is slow, the recent changes that shifted health into the big camps were a massive buff to him and once he gets to 6 he gets a guaranteed kill every 90 seconds. His mid game transition is insane. He becomes this insanely fast drain tank with a 1.8 sec suppress and a massive AS boost for his entire team. Oh and the "no gank pressure pre-6 thing?" It's all about the counter ganking. A smart WW will know where the enemy jungle is going to show up, grab red, then counter gank the hell out of him. E + red buff assures kills.

Laning is solid too, sustain is still through the roof and, again, he guarantees kills every 90 seconds once he hits 6.

I really just don't see where people are getting the WW is weak thing. Sure, he has weaknesses pre-6 but he also has some very potent strengths once he gets there. Whenever I see the wolf on my team I'm like YES! Ward and play safe for 7 minutes and then let the free gold start flowing!

Overlord Hades

01-27-2013

what are your thoughts on Darius and will he be getting a rework soon.... also do you like cup cakes ?

Super Explosion

01-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsylord View Post
Brand has a problem in that he is a burst mage in a game where strong burst mages have the potential to be incredibly toxic. It really sucks to get one-shotted and to reduce this frustration we aren't able to make the burst mages' damage all that much higher than that of the the utility mages'. Brand is only going to combo for 10-20% more damage than an Anivia. Is he still better at bursting? Yes. The problem is that when you pick him you end up giving up a ton of utility for a very marginal benefit. So yeah, that's the problem I see. To "fix" brand we'd have to "fix" burst mages in general. Not sure how we'd do that asides from just turning them into more utility mages...Also, Brand may actually be a lot better with season three items...Liandry's + Rylai's + his passive is pretty insane.
Burst mages are not "incredibly toxic"--

See: Season 1 Annie and Fiddlesticks.

AKA some of the champions that made the game popular and memorable in the first place.

As well, I'm not sure how you can hold the opinion that getting 'one-shotted' is bad while simultaneously releasing things like Darius, Kha'Zix, and Black Cleaver.

You may as well delete the assassin class entirely with that sort of supposition.

(Alternatively, you could try to foster mechanical counterplay through itemization and well-timed burst mitigation abilities. )

IS12a6435041c36e3214d49

01-27-2013

Do you guys have a demonic champion on the pipeline?

EmperorofTortuga

01-27-2013

When designing champions, will you take in to account the requests of the community to decide what is most fitting?

gypsylord

Champion Designer

01-27-2013
62 of 65 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Kills View Post
How did you come up with ur name?

._. has this been answered?
Dog's name was Gypsy.

Gypsy was my old handle but I needed a longer to see my 9th grade science class grades. Needed to be at least 6 letters. Was reading Wheel of Time at the time so decided to add "Lord".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
You'vs earned my scorn for this comment as avid fan of AP Lulu; honestly the overnerfing of her AP while other AP supports (ie Lux and Zyra for example) are allowed to valid laners and supports is one the balance decisions that bothered me more than most any other that riot has made in my year and a half of playing.

I realize her harass was considered "problematic" thus nerfed to point of overkill, but why couldn't riot give her a bit more AP ratio on her ult or shield to allow to be valid mid without being the same state as before.

And I'd like you to know since S3 I've yet to see a person besides myself dare to lane her top or mid.

So my question why does you think it's OK for some supports to get to lane well, but not others?
Because some supports feel fair to lane against and some supports do not.

When champions like Lulu and Soraka are super strong mid laners our game is bad. Why? Because it is the worst experience ever to fight them. Oh you want to last hit? Glitterlance at 1000 range! It's a nuke that slows you! Also, it tastes purple! There's nothing you can do against a Lulu lane. You can't fight her due to pix and whimsy, you can't poke her or CS due to glitterlance, you can't gank her thanks to glitterlance, and you can't burst her thanks to her ult. Mid Lulu just does too much while offering very little counterplay Against a good Lulu Glitterlance is not something you can dodge. Zyra root and Lux Snare are.

Am I saying we don't have midlaners in our game currently who are obnoxious? No. I'm just saying champs like AP Lulu and Soraka are on a whole different level.

Bad Player

01-27-2013

Not sure if you'll be able to answer this, buuuuuuuuuuut

Are you guys planning to buff Wrengar a bit more? Or keeping your eyes on him, at least?

Wrengar was buffed in the last patch, but his winrate is still pretty low (came up to 43% from 40%; compare with Diana, who went up to 50% from 40%). That is, are you guys still keeping your eyes on Wrengar to see if he needs to be worked on a bit more, or are you guys done tinkering with him for a bit?

Thanks

(using LoLKing's winrate statistics)