Digi-art contest entry WIP-Master YI

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hellioning

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPudding View Post
It's been highly requested that we make contests for more specific skill sets. Instead of running a general art contest where people will complain if the winners are of a specific medium where people tend to show more talent via pictures, we are directing the medium at one thing to keep it focused in a way that benefits talented artists.
I suppose. I take it then the next contest is going to be hand drawn only?

drukenMunkey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-27-2013

Hey everyone, here is a quick update. Got all the base geo UVed and into Zbrush. Working on all the nice little details. Have a colored version just to help show how the materials will be broken up, not to be confused with textures, that whole process is still to come. The plan for the composition is to have Yi practicing his Alpha Strike among a bunch of wooden dummies using a static shiv. This will give us a chance to throw a lot of cool lightning everywhere. =D

Kohou

01-28-2013

The main problem I see coming is that your work is going to be judged differently, and thus be at a disadvantage rather than an advantage. I think that was what was being hinted at. Either way, good luck. It looks amazing so far, very high quality.

YouRRaDDaD

01-29-2013

Hey everyone, I'm DrukenMunkey's roommate and I'll be working on this piece with him. First I'd like to address some concerns; We've spoken to MsPudding and we're within the rights of the contest to collaborate on one entry. We will be submitting only 1 entry and will not be soliciting twice the amount of votes for the same piece. In the event that we win, there will be no duplicate prizes issued and any prizes that we may win will be split at our discretion. I'd also like to point out that it has been made clear that there is no restriction on software, as long as the final product meets the requirements of the contest. That said, we are again within the rights of the competition to produce a 2D rendering of a 3D scene. This is a digital art contest and it doesn't get more "Digital" than a 3D model and a Digital Matte Painting.

Now that that's out of the way, I'd like to show you guys what I'm throwing into the mix for this scene. I'll be doing a Digital Matte Painting (DMP) of Ionia. The DMP will not only be used as a background for the scene, but also as an HDRI to be used to light it. As a bonus Druken and I are putting together a little animation for you guys to bring just a bit more immersion and fan-boy-dum. For that, the DMP will be put on a card system in Nuke for some parallax as the camera moves around the scene. This animation will not be a part of our submission to the contest. It'll just be for the community to enjoy and act as another challenge for us as we complete this piece within the given time. As of right now I've only put in about a days work on the DMP and as such there's no architecture, crystals, ect, things that will in the end make it Ionia. Enjoy.

drukenMunkey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-30-2013

Here is a quick update for you all. All that is left is the cloth bits around his waist, and his head and face. Then on to texturing. Also need to make the shiv still. The goal is to be rendering this weekend and compositing everything next week.

YouRRaDDaD

01-31-2013

Hey everyone, this is the "complete" DMP for our submission. There's still a lot I'd like to do on it but we're on a tight schedule so tweaks are a low priority. Enjoy.

drukenMunkey

01-31-2013

Double the updates for today. Here is are some shots of Master Yi's face. All the modeling is done now and I can begin the texture work and posing him for our animation. Also here is a nice little wallpaper for you all. Enjoy

Daemon

01-31-2013

Just a suggestion: Yi is Asian, so he should probably have black facial hair...I dunno, he looks too white.

drukenMunkey

02-01-2013

Hey Daemon, thanks for the suggestion but almost all Yi splash arts depict him with brown hair.

Daemon

02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by drukenMunkey View Post
Hey Daemon, thanks for the suggestion but almost all Yi splash arts depict him with brown hair.

Huh, never noticed.

Riot is RACIST. jk, keep up the good work!