Help my Poppy pop

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mikkir

01-03-2013

I definitely agree Ryios. The early laning is totally a pain in the butt, but once I leave my lane it becomes go time. Woe to the poor champion that wants to sit under their turret at half health when I have my ult up. I'm still learning how to really take full advantage of Poppy in team fights because I have to make a decisive move early enough to have an impact on the fight, but I don't want to be reckless. And I just love shoulder tackling someone into the wall when they're trying to run (followed up by a juicy q whomp).

More importantly, if I can learn to lane with Poppy that pretty much means I can lane with any champion in the game. Fighting with the advantage is easy, being able to hold when at the disadvantage will hopefully make me better.

PatriotBob

01-23-2013

A huge early game helper to Poppy (surprisingly) is her passive, you must learn to abuse it. Poppy's passive halves incoming damage over 10% of your current health... So at 200 hit points remaining, that 70-100 damage from Riven when she dives you at level 5. Well that drops to 46-47 damage. That's an amazing reduction in damage when you're at low health. It makes you survive unexpectedly long. Abuse this, farm under your tower and let them dive. Bring pots and hp/5 so last the duration.
You'll notice it's only damage greater than 10% current health. This makes it useless against DoTs and minions. Try not to pick fights groups of minions. Your passive goes from making you surprisingly tanky to just plain dead.
People might argue about building health/armor/mr on poppy how it makes her passive less effective. I could give you all the maths explaining why this isn't true, but this is the forums, no one likes maths. I'll keep the reasoning simple. She's an assassin, build damage. AP for single nuke. AD for team destroying (riskier play). A defensive item or two is ok, your passive is uneffected. When you get to late game, you'll get smacked for 500+ damage.... worrying about 10% current hp isn't a problem unless your planning on building 3k + hp. (Don't)

Marauder64

01-24-2013

How's Nashor's Tooth, Zephyr or Guinsoo's on her?

Mikkir

01-25-2013

Ok, so after a few games I'm back with the AD vs AP poppy build question.

I don't understand the AP poppy build at all. Let me lay down what I think I know and you all can tell me what I don't understand correctly.

Poppy's R doesn't change or scale differently with AP or AD.
Poppy's W helps out AD builds with an extra 35 attack power.
Poppy's E only scales with AP. It has a 0.4 AP scaling on initial hit and a 0.4 AP scaling if you slam them into a wall. So you will either get 0.4 or 0.8 scaling off the ability with AP.
Poppy's Q has a 0.6 scaling with AP, but has 1.0 scaling with AD because all the damage is added on top of her normal attack (this is what I'm unsure of).

So when I look at those numbers it seems like poppy gets more out of AD stacking than AP specifically because the cool down on Q is much lower than the cool down on E, which may only get half modifier anyway. You also improve your auto attack damage if you stack AD.

So in the end, I look at these two builds:
AD "ideal":trinity force, infinity edge, BT, frozen mallet, warmogs, boots (berzerkers or merc)

AP "ideal": lich bane, deathcap, DFG, (something), warmogs, boots (sorcs or merc)

The only thing that makes it look like the AP build doesn't get blown away against the first target is DFG, but it seems like the lack of high damage, criting auto attacks would keep the AP build from killing that 2nd or 3rd person.

So am I missing a piece of information that would change how I look at this?

Dweia

01-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkir View Post
Ok, so after a few games I'm back with the AD vs AP poppy build question.

I don't understand the AP poppy build at all. Let me lay down what I think I know and you all can tell me what I don't understand correctly.

Poppy's R doesn't change or scale differently with AP or AD.
Poppy's W helps out AD builds with an extra 35 attack power.
Poppy's E only scales with AP. It has a 0.4 AP scaling on initial hit and a 0.4 AP scaling if you slam them into a wall. So you will either get 0.4 or 0.8 scaling off the ability with AP.
Poppy's Q has a 0.6 scaling with AP, but has 1.0 scaling with AD because all the damage is added on top of her normal attack (this is what I'm unsure of).

So when I look at those numbers it seems like poppy gets more out of AD stacking than AP specifically because the cool down on Q is much lower than the cool down on E, which may only get half modifier anyway. You also improve your auto attack damage if you stack AD.

So in the end, I look at these two builds:
AD "ideal":trinity force, infinity edge, BT, frozen mallet, warmogs, boots (berzerkers or merc)

AP "ideal": lich bane, deathcap, DFG, (something), warmogs, boots (sorcs or merc)

The only thing that makes it look like the AP build doesn't get blown away against the first target is DFG, but it seems like the lack of high damage, criting auto attacks would keep the AP build from killing that 2nd or 3rd person.

So am I missing a piece of information that would change how I look at this?
As an AP, you're pure burst. Your auto attacks don't come into it, because the plan is you drop everything on someone, explode them, and run away until your cooldowns are off.
AP is cheaper per point than AD, DFG gives bonus damage, so AP ends up with higher burst from abilities.

Personally, I favour AD since you can hang around after bursting someone down and auto attack to kill more people, but it takes longer to kill that first target.

Also, despite what everyone says, her laning isn't actually that bad. It's far from brilliant, but Poppy is queen of freezing lane, her Q and massive armour bonus lets her trade well at early levels, and the threat of your E restricts their positioning.
Assuming you're against a typical top. Against something like Corki/Nunu you're screwed, but so are most tops.

Mikkir

01-25-2013

Hmm, good to know that I was at least looking at it correctly.

As far as laning goes I have managed to do ok with some trades, but I got rolled something fierce against a rumble the other day. Was straight embarrassing.