Why doesn't Riot implement "safe to leave"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Miles Long

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent Summoner View Post
In dota 2 it seems like half the games end prematurely because someone leaves, I'm not sure this is a good idea
You mean like how LoL games end prematurely because of surrender? Believe it or not, the surrender function is essentially sanctioned leaving.

Anyway, safe to leave wouldn't work with LoL because surrender exists. Riot's ideology dictates that it's "better" to pigeonhole people into games rather than preserve the freedom of the individual. Sadly, Riot doesn't realize that their system doesn't stop leavers, so their methodology is straight up inferior.

If an abandonment happens within the first five minutes of a DotA game, the game becomes safe to leave and no stats are recorded, as well as no BP awarded. Nobody is forced to sit around in an unbalanced game for twenty minutes.

If an abandonment happens after the five minute grace period, the game becomes safe to leave BUT stats are recorded and the normal BP award applies, so there is definitely incentive to finish the game. If you have a leaver/afker on your team you can leave if you so desire but you have to weigh that against the potential win. Leaver/afker in LoL? Incoming 4 to 1 surrender, 100% guaranteed loss.

It goes beyond that as well. DotA 2's hidden karma system suggests that even the leaver/person with disagreeable internet also has reason enough to reconnect and see the game through to its finish.

There's only one question that really needs to be asked here:

Is preserving the facade of a perfect leaverless game really worth the freedom of the individual?

There are going to be leavers in DotA. There are going to be leavers in LoL. Neither system can completely eliminate the problem. So which system would you rather stand behind?

Personally, I feel like DotA 2's system wants you to be more competitive and wants you to earn your wins, rather than trying your hardest to stomp and hope that the opposite team just gives in at the twenty minute mark. But it also tells you hey, this game ended in abandonment way too early, this is not worth the waste of time for anybody.

Does LoL need the safe to leave system? It may be very close to the top of a laundry list of changes LoL needs to become a better game overall.

I cannot understand how there are some LoL'ers that don't want LoL to be like DotA when LoL was born as a DotA-clone. The more Valve continues to do right, the more Riot will copy.

I wouldn't expect to see safe to leave without major overhauls though, the type that demands a ridiculous undertaking, the type that is several months (if not more than a year) long.

PodunkTheMighty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-22-2013

I'm losing, I'm mad, so I leave and the other team doesn't get any ELO for their rightful win,

Sounds like a problem to me.

Iratus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PodunkTheMighty View Post
I'm losing, I'm mad, so I leave and the other team doesn't get any ELO for their rightful win,

Sounds like a problem to me.
More probable scenario: You're losing, you're mad, and your team is harassing you and creating a toxic environment. You leave to avoid the frustration and your teammates get out of a deserving loss.

No one said the system would be perfect but that stems more from Riot only having report features after games. And still relying on Tribunal rather than doing the work themselves.

Neckbeard Slayer

01-22-2013

I think leaving a ranked game should have the DotA2 system. Of the past 10 games in ranked I have lost, 8 of them have been because someone just leaves the game. My team isn't losing, they just say "peace guys" and leave the game. One time it was our 17-1 Vayne who gave the excuse "guys I need to get some kfc. bye" Why should my elo suffer because this guy decides its time to get some kfc 26 minutes into a game that, on average, lasts about 35-45 minutes?

Josh de Tonreau

01-22-2013

Approved
Should not be an "omg what if trolls"

HereticalSaint

01-22-2013

I 100% feel you should be able to leave a normal game because of a DC. Ranked, however, is a different story. It's already been rehashed many times (at least in other topics) but the reason no such system can exist in ranked is because people could abuse the Elo system and have one person leave to help the team as a whole avoid a loss. Only way to fix that would be to crack down on leavers even harder than they do now (I've seen people with 3-4 leaves in their match history and they are still playing every day for months, sometimes with 1-2 leaves in their latest match history still).

Also, enemy team should 100% of the time get elo. If we wipe our the enemy team on an early invade we shouldn't not get Elo/IP because a kid on the other team rage quits.

HereticalSaint

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Long View Post
-snip-
I wouldn't expect to see safe to leave without major overhauls though, the type that demands a ridiculous undertaking, the type that is several months (if not more than a year) long.
Considering they've been, "working" on replays among other features since mid way through beta I think it's safe to say even longer.

Ardeaf

01-22-2013

But then someone could get their buddy to dc for them when the game is going bad and then they wouldn't lose any elo.

That or the team would abuse/try to force the worst player to dc so that "baddie" bears the brunt of the loss and the rest of the team gets off Scott free

Blue Prism

01-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardeaf View Post
But then someone could get their buddy to dc for them when the game is going bad and then they wouldn't lose any elo.

That or the team would abuse/try to force the worst player to dc so that "baddie" bears the brunt of the loss and the rest of the team gets off Scott free
The amount of comprehension issues in this thread...

This system cannot be "abused" because the team that gets the safe-to-leave still gets a loss. It just means that if someone AFKs for an extended amount of time and you don't want to play a 4v5, you don't have to stay and you will not get reported for AFKing from a 4v5. There is no loss forgiven unless the game begins with an AFKer (< 5 minutes).

l2read.

godfatherlc

01-22-2013

I like this idea. It really would make it better for when people leave, I personally hate having to wait till 20 min to surrender when it's a 4 v 5, it's no fun and can totally ruin your motivation to play another game. This system seems like the perfect fix for that.