Olaf: Balanced or No?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Viubbi

01-20-2013

This threads purpose is to gather the thoughts of the community on our lovable viking Olaf.

Recently I have come to the conclusion that he has far too much durability for the damage that he is putting out. As many will notice, any good Olaf merely has to build health, and he is practically invincible with the additional armor and magic resist provided by his ult.

For those believing he is balanced, I would like to hear your reasoning. Sure you can focus him down in the teamfight, but that simply leaves the other teams carries unhindered to wreck havoc on your team in the meantime. It takes so long to kill Olaf that most of the time my ad carry dies in the process. Unfortunately, I have been banning Olaf now because of his insane carrying ability. Olaf is able to single-handedly carry his team, and I have frustratingly been the recipient of his bulldozing abilities many times.

But there is always hope, what can we do to make Olaf diving a team more of a risk than it is now? There are multiple ways to tone down his face melting powers, but I would prefer a nerf of durability rather than power. Olaf to me feels like he should be a mighty and powerful axe lobbing viking, but not an invincible Norse god. Perhaps a nerf to the armor and magic resist of his ultimate? Or to his base armor and magic resist, that way his ult really makes him feel powerful still. Whatever the change, something needs to be done to ensure that any Olaf who builds a warmogs is still kill-able and not a rampaging viking train on your adc.

xXL3PR3CH4UNXx

01-20-2013

I think his kit works for him so changing it would be bad almost like taking out alistars W Q combo

MimicryKilla

01-20-2013

Havent heard this in a while...

SeiYouSiLa

01-20-2013

Just play Olaf and determine whether he is OP or not by yourself, I've only played 1 game with Olaf so far and all I can say is that I'm not too confident with Olaf

Vinterheim

01-20-2013

Unlike many other Top laners, he doesn't have a gap closer and any good olaf taks Ghost > Flash, soooooooo yeah, there's his weakness, oh and using his true damage early on hurts you a lot too.

Jinx the Zombie

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinterheim View Post
Unlike many other Top laners, he doesn't have a gap closer and any good olaf taks Ghost > Flash, soooooooo yeah, there's his weakness, oh and using his true damage early on hurts you a lot too.
A smart Olaf doesn't need ghost with flash because he can land his Undertow. A smart Olaf doesn't have to worry about the self damage from Reckless Swing because he'll heal it back with pots and the sustain from Vicious Strikes. Basically, a smart Olaf learns how to negate most of the negatives that are built into his kit.

Justin Nguyen

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx the Zombie View Post
A smart Olaf doesn't need ghost with flash because he can land his Undertow. A smart Olaf doesn't have to worry about the self damage from Reckless Swing because he'll heal it back with pots and the sustain from Vicious Strikes. Basically, a smart Olaf learns how to negate most of the negatives that are built into his kit.
Though his skill shot isn't exactly easy to land. If you can do it with your eyes close then sure. Though I bet nobody can. If you can land 100% skill shots then yeah sure ghost is no problem. Though you always have to land the axe. Ghost is always smart on olaf. A dumb olaf takes flash. Ghost+Ragnarok is the ultimate get away. Why would an olaf worry about reckless swing? I mean who worries about that. He has really good sustain.

Real reason why olaf is strong: He's strong because his game is based around warmogs. If warmogs gets nerfed. He gets nerfed. He's really strong right now, because warmog is just flat out OP right now. Such efficient health/regen it's crazy. It was like Assassins and Black Cleaver. Just flat out OP. They nerfed the BC they nerfed the Assassins.

Farlog

01-21-2013

I was watching a stream of someone and a big part of his damage comes from his Q. Picking it up with stacked CDR you could get the CD to less than one second.

I would either recommend nerf the axe pick up cooldown reduction by 1 second to stop the limitless axe spam.

Or better yet wait until the Warmogs nerf and see what sort of position hes in.

Peligrad

01-21-2013

Yeah...Olaf himself isn't the problem...

The problem is that Mog's is pretty OP (health building in general is) and it just happens that Olaf has more synergy with hp building than anyone else in the whole game.

Once hp is balanced out as a stat, Olaf will probably fall right back in line...

Adrian Umbra

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-21-2013

Balanced but strong. Warmog's is probably the real problem due to the nerf to armor and MR in this season.