Question About MM?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Conman0210

01-20-2013

@Sereg Anfaug:

I was coaching him through his first game as best I could, and hell I even took over at times here and there. He selected beginner, because *gasp*! He's a beginner. As far as his itemization goes, it's because he was really falling behind in CS and gold to their Brand. Since Brand's range and harass is superior to Annie, especially a new one, I had him pick up the Philo Stone to help out his sustain and make up some lost ground in gold. The game was over before any other items really had a chance to develop.

Bottom line is putting a 4 man premade whose combined summoner levels are double that of another team of 3 first timers is a really stupid thing for any MM system to do, especially considering this was supposed to be a "beginner" game as was selected when the account was first created.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinalHeart View Post
That's exactly the point though. At such a low level, MM would have no way to properly match players by skill level, or Elo, so it should match it based off of summoner level, and definintely avoid putting premades against non-premades. At the very least, it should attempt to balance teams as best as possible within a few summoners level, and not have one team be overwhelmingly higher than the other. It isn't a huge deal anyway, but small things like this that are easily remedied can go a long way in helping new player retention.

My 2c anyway.
Wait a minute, what?

What the actual ****?

5 is overwhelmingly higher then 1? In what mathematical system is this? And in League of Legends, 1 and 5 are for all intents and purposes exactly the same thing - a very new account, with a single(or very small double) digit number of PvP games played.

Edit @ your response: Oh, you must be really new too then, if that itemization struck you as a sound strategy. No, I'm not trying to be provocative, but I am serious - only an inexperienced player would itemize that way for that situation. As far as the premade goes, that's kind of hard to deal with for the system. As I implied earlier, there's only so many players queueing for that game type at that time. Matching a premade of such a low level, and trying to get them a fair matchup, is rather difficult, so the system pulls the closest levels in queue at the time and eventually forms a team with them. And again, I'd like to point out that the one player who wasn't premade, who was also the lowest level, did significantly better(in terms of score, at least) then the premade players, so that's really not the issue.

The issue is that the matchmaker has almost nothing to go on to determine skill levels at that point, and a limited pool of people in queue to do it with.

Really, how many level 1s do you think are queuing at the same time, that you expect matchmaker to pull only players of the exact same level?

Conman0210

01-20-2013

You'll forgive me if I really dun give a **** about the opinions of a player who mainly plays ADCs and Bruisers and only has a .5 K/D ratio, and who also assumes **** about others having no real idea what the hell he's talking about. Thanks for your useless input though.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-20-2013

ADCs and bruisers? Lol?

I almost never play ADC - I do play jungle alot, which explains the bruisers, but I can't imagine where you got ADC from, unless you're looking at my tiny pool of ranked stats.

Regardless, that's irrelevant to your question, since we're discussing the matchmaker, which I do have some solid information on. Have a look at this thread: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1976101

Particularly the red posts, if you're curious about how matchmaker works and why you see what you percieve to be inconsistencies.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinalHeart View Post
You'll forgive me if I really dun give a **** about the opinions of a player who mainly plays ADCs and Bruisers and only has a .5 K/D ratio, and who also assumes **** about others having no real idea what the hell he's talking about. Thanks for your useless input though.
A few things I want to point out.

1) First, redrocketingwolf is actually a level 1, so... yeah, that takes a lot of steam out of your argument right there.

2) Next, your attitude... yeah, it's really not helping your point.

3) You're bringing KDA into this argument as if it means something. Here's a helpful newsflash for you: it doesn't. It doesn't mean a god damned thing.

4) Let me just reiterate my point. It takes roughly 4 wins to get to level 5, and another 4 to get to level 6.

5) As I said, the one line of chat we see from your teammates makes it appear that at least one of them is a smurf. It's entirely possibly they have a premade as well.