Who are the "must-have" champions before starting ranked?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

futuresight23

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgIierBetty View Post
I know that you need to be able to play multiple champions for each role if you want to have a chance at ranked. Could you tell me what champions/type of champions to learn to round out my skill sets?

Champions I have/play:

Mid
Have
LeBlanc
Annie
Cass
*Zyra
*Akali

Play (i.e. I've learned them, but haven't purchased yet
Eve
Ahri

Have
Akali
Nidalee

Jungle
Have
Amumu
Shaco

Play
Sejuani
Eve

ADC
Whoever is free. They're all basically the same (no offense anyone who plays them).

Support
Zyra
Sona
Nidalee

Okay, so it's pretty obvious I need more tanky/brusier-type champions.

Any recommendations?
At least 2 or 3 ADCs since you have to own the champ to play them in ranked. Whoever you like most.

Support: Taric is a very strong option for both aggressive and passive lane play.
Top: Probably would be a good spot to add some brusiers. Olaf, Irelia, Jax, Malphite are some options.
Jungle: Shaco isn't the best option for every match and Amumu is likely a high priority ban. Maokai, Cho'gath seem to be pretty strong options. Many of the bruisers that go top lane can fit here as well like Olaf, Jax and Malphite.

Galaxy Bracelets

01-19-2013

I would suggest starting with kog'maw or caitlyn to learn adc. It's alot more nuanced and complex to play a good adc bot lane than u give it credit for and u can learn alot about last hitting and positioning. Proper farming and positioning with a good ranged ad champ can win almost any game. Knowing how to kite and who to focus at what times can make or break any team fight.

Prof Zuhayr

01-19-2013

IMO talon/kassadin is a must if you want to counter many champions

Latvia

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Zuhayr View Post
IMO talon/kassadin is a must if you want to counter many champions
I find Talon an unreliable pick at low elo because his team never understands they need a decent source of AP Damage. Whether this be someone like Vlad/Akali top or Maokai/Amumu jungle or something of the sort, there has to be some magic damage on the team if you're having an AD mid. At higher levels, knowing there will be a Talon player the team will be sure to secure an able source of magic damage. I just do not think he is a decent choice for heading into ranked, despite his ability to shut down a lot of mids.

adc

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary View Post
I find Talon an unreliable pick at low elo because his team never understands they need a decent source of AP Damage. Whether this be someone like Vlad/Akali top or Maokai/Amumu jungle or something of the sort, there has to be some magic damage on the team if you're having an AD mid. At higher levels, knowing there will be a Talon player the team will be sure to secure an able source of magic damage. I just do not think he is a decent choice for heading into ranked, despite his ability to shut down a lot of mids.
With the cost of penetration now, you honestly don't really need AP THAT badly.

Enconex

01-19-2013

There is only a select few champions that I have a very low win rate facing them as they get fed ALL the time from my allies or have great team fight potential.

These champions are as follows:
Evelynn
Kha'zix
Master Yi
Amumu (when hes not banned)
Blitzcrank

I'm not sure why everyone is afraid of shaco in low elo because so far I have a 100% win rate when facing him and a 0% win rate with him on my team.Hes squishy and is horrible late game. Malphite is similar, however not quite at 100%/0%.

P1NECO

01-19-2013

For a tank I would recommend Rammus, Alistar, Malphite, Volibear, or Nautilus.

Flagrock

01-19-2013

Ok, champs that are "needed" is not a good way of putting it. If you're terrible with a champ don't play them. YOU NEED TO GET GOOD WITH THEM. There are about 3 easy picks for each lane that give decent diversity
1) Olaf - One of the best Anti-Carries in game. You can be an intitator and you just build tanky while having crazy dmg
2) Shen - Late game you cannot kill him. Play him a couple times and learn how to use your ult and then you can dominate
3) Jax - Great person to have... not played as much anymore but he counters a lot of AA tops and is really strong if snowballed

Mid: This is harder for the sheer fact of diversity in mid, there isn't a best 3 mids only safe picks
1) Ryze - one of the safest picks ever. Hypercarry late game, hard to shut down because he just needs a tear to be effective
2) Lux - a good Lux just can't really be countered... She has it all for a team, a snare, slow, and shield. She is just a great pick
3) Karthus/Anivia/Morgana - all good picks like I said, mid is probably the most diverse lane so there isn't many "must haves"

AD Carry: They play similarly they all fill a different niche better
1) Graves - easiest AD carry to learn on. He's got the basics of all AD carries and is "tanky" for AD carries
2) Tristana - safe pick AD carry. You can't really "counter" her because she's got a jump to get out and gets super long range. Easy positioning in team fights
3) Vayne/Kog - Either are amazing late game and shred tanks easy. Vayne is extremely hard to play but if you're good it's over late game

Supports: Tbh, you just need to synergize with the AD carry that's your job
1) Taric - He's got it all. A stun, a heal, an Aura. Basic support who can go pretty well with anyone
2) Alistar - Good Alistars win lanes. If you get good with his combo it's over and you have free kills bot
3) Blitz - 95% of the people in low/mid Elos can't play against him if he makes it through and you can pull well it's free kills bot... they'll get grabbed sometime

Jungle
1) Amumu - My favorite jungler, probably the best jungler. He gets super tanky with high dmg and an amazing initiation. Weak early, unstoppable late
2)Malphite - He's rock solid. Tanky, got good dmg via armor stacking, a brick wall, great engage, and he counters AD teams
3) Olaf - Yes, imo he's an amazing jungler. Only shaco and Warwick can dual you early and you can counter jungle, gank, and team fight well

Again, you need to know how to play a champion for them to be effective, but these are effective "carries" for each lane and strong viable picks.

MesaanaWoT

01-19-2013

Well here is my list of ABSOLUTE MUST NOT-HAVE
1. Trundle
2. Karma
3. Poppy

TERRORIST WlNS

01-19-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary Of Gorz View Post
lol ues all adc have the same purpose, but are nithing the same.

anyways should have
Shen
Malphite
amumu
Blitzcrank
Evelynn
Shaco

those are the big ones in ranked and even if you dont play them you should have them for trades for your team incase you are first pick
Most of the time those champs are banned in ranked from what I've heard from other people