@Riot - Your client really is absolute trash...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlmightyAtheismo

01-18-2013

Lemme get a few things out of the way before I get to the point of this thread:
1) League is an awesome game
2) I've been playing since 2009 and I have no plans to stop any time soon
3) Some aspects of this game have really improved by leaps and bounds (skins, champion quality, balance, etc)

Now having said all that I really need to inform you that you have the worst client I've ever seen in a game. It's just sooooooo clunky and poorly designed. I might be able to look past it if it's simplicity resulted in smooth navigation, but the opposite is the case.

-Whenever I try to go to a new tab (runes/masteries/champs/etc) there's this weird "lag" (for lack of a better word) that just makes it feel really clunky. The same is true when accessing/navigating the store.

-It's lacking in incredibly basic features, like the ability to display your ping before you get into game. Hell we can't even log off without closing the entire client.

-Plagued with tons of minor annoyances like how it won't let you send a message if your queue pops and the client is waiting for all 10 players to accept (the whole screen goes kinda dark and it stops you from doing ANYTHING).

-Tons of bugs. The most annoying one is when I queue, and then decline the game when it pops up and then the client just sits there stuck at "leaving queue...." and I have to restart League to do anything.

And those issues don't even touch on the multitude of problems caused by AdobeAir. I mean seriously, AdobeAir?? Really??

When League (and by extension, Riot) was brand new this would be stuff anyone would expect. It's not unreasonable for a fresh startup company to have glitchy low-budget clients, but come on - it's been years. Riot is doing preeeetty good in the financial department, I think they could spring for a new client.

I understand that creating a whole new client is a BIG project and not something to be taken lightly, but can you at least admit that it's a project that should be done? You put all these resources into revamping the in game UI (when it was honestly just fine before) and totally ignore the much more flawed client.

/end rant

Edit: Riot moved the thread off GD because they didn't want it getting any exposure, go figure.

CrazedPorcupine

01-18-2013

Riot has need a new client for years. RIot is just too lazy to actually DO it.

AlmightyAtheismo

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedPorcupine View Post
Riot has need a new client for years. RIot is just too lazy to actually DO it.

It really is just SOOOO bad.

It's at the point where I'm embarrassed FOR Riot...

Psykeres

01-18-2013

"Adobe Air lawl" is not very helpful criticism. Cross-platform environments have problems, sure I get it, but I think it's gonna take more than that to make a change look worthwhile.

HedonismBot420

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyAtheismo View Post

-Plagued with tons of minor annoyances like how it won't let you send a message if your queue pops and the client is waiting for all 10 players to accept (the whole screen goes kinda dark and it stops you from doing ANYTHING).

-Tons of bugs. The most annoying one is when I queue, and then decline the game when it pops up and then the client just sits there stuck at "leaving queue...." and I have to restart League to do anything.

My favorite is when the two of these combine into one megaturd. You'll have a buddy messaging you to play just as your queue pops, so you decline the game but it gets stuck on the "leaving queue..." screen which also means you can chat to let your friend know you'll play.

And then by the time you close the client (because obviously a "log off" is too mainstream for Riot) and re-open it, your friend has already queued because he assumed you logged off since you couldn't tell him what you were doing.

And like the OP said, if this was still a startup company releasing their first title it would be totally understandable - but the game has been out for almost 4 years, and been widely popular for at least 2 of those years.

C'mon Riot, step up to the plate.

CommandShockwave

01-18-2013

Imo, scrap the entire client and move onto something less "brand new company with a strict budget".

Pls.

Dorotheus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

We've been saying this since before the Mac Beta closed.

Hell, I think Maplestory updates their client more often.

CommandShockwave

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
We've been saying this since before the Mac Beta closed.

Hell, I think Maplestory updates their client more often.
Doesn't maplestory only run in 800x600 and 1024x768?

Now THAT'S sad.

HedonismBot420

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorotheus View Post
hell, i think maplestory updates their client more often.
lol

AlmightyAtheismo

01-18-2013

Riot if you like futuristic robot skins so much, how come you leave your client with the caveman skin?