Matchmaking Changes [1-16-2013]

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nubasaurus Rex

01-18-2013

Good change.

Two questions:
Does the queue time affect people with a larger amount of wins more?

What happens when people queue together with a large win gap? (2000 wins queues with a person with 100)

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-18-2013
5 of 46 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djarkaven View Post
I have three times the amount of wins of the two people i queue up with the most and am about four hundred behind someone else i queue up with often. How will it balance out when all four of us are playing together?
Currently, we simply search for team compositions that average a similar number of wins to face you.

Nosef

01-18-2013

What if my number of wins don't reflect my skill level? I'm sure I'm worse than 90% of other 1000+ win people . Does it look for similar baddies in my win range?

And do the ranked queues take into account someones normal wins when matching? Or is it just ranked wins vs ranked wins, normal wins vs normal wins, etc?

Tolinar

01-18-2013

I'll just ask again because you skipped over me.
Does this affect bot matches? Co-Op vs. AI?

BestPlayerBrazil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-18-2013

Aww yiss!

IS1c5c21a2063c122d01032

01-18-2013

how about you post this on the eu boards too?

Glarolar

01-18-2013

i hope that you can reduce the times on when doing a quadra queue with others, yesterday my team was in a queue for 10 minutes before we found a game, and it's constantly taking over 3 minutes to find a game when it used to be 40 seconds, our teammates are better, but the time is pretty annoying

IceDragonMaster

01-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
In the latest game update, we rolled out a second beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in all territories. This change will increase your average queue time by about 30 seconds, but we hope the benefits are worthwhile.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the Number of Wins a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar Number of Wins as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar skill rating. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in Number of Wins--it's just more rare.

We need your help! Please give us feedback on the changes.

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.
Why not use the win/loss ratio?

dkanonji

01-18-2013

So glad you guys implemented this!

For people like myself in the 1350-1400 range where we often get players with less than 10 wins and still trying to sort out where they belong, this is going to make for much much better games.

Thanks!

nomadd

01-18-2013

Awesome news Lyte - thank you to all the folks who worked on this.