@Lyte @Riot Toxic players at all time high

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auspexa

Member

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinetyNineTails View Post
Why in Goddess' name would you place even a thimble of credibility in a 'poll' like that? I think I'd place more faith in astrology.

EDIT: Oh, wait, it's Auspexa. NM, question answered.
To be honest a poll like that has more credibility than Riot for me, considering Riot always throws random statements around to satisfy people. Saying "most people don't use forums" doesn't refute that, on the other hand, there are so many people on forums. They wouldn't make official polls if they thought there aren't enough people on forums.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Guernica

Senior Member

01-15-2013

I agree. I play League at sporadic times due to my school schedule. However, I feel like there are still very toxic players in the community. There's usually 90% harassment at my elo (1300~1400). When I watch higher up elo streams, there is less harassment to other players.

I think it happens at the lower elo more than the higher elo, BUT there is still harassment at higher elo. don't get me wrong!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auspexa

Member

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyxo View Post
I agree. I play League at sporadic times due to my school schedule. However, I feel like there are still very toxic players in the community. There's usually 90% harassment at my elo (1300~1400). When I watch higher up elo streams, there is less harassment to other players.

I think it happens at the lower elo more than the higher elo, BUT there is still harassment at higher elo. don't get me wrong!
Most harassment you will ever see happens around 1900 elo.


Some basement virgin keeps downvoting all of my posts, have fun


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Failcomplete

Member

01-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspexa View Post
Most harassment you will ever see happens around 1900 elo.


Some basement virgin keeps downvoting all of my posts, have fun phaggot
I can't believe I tried to reason with this person...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Phil Nye

Senior Member

01-15-2013

Somewhat related to this, but I let my younger brother play a couple of co-op v. ai matches on my account recently when I visited him (he's new and wanted to try out a new champion I owned before buying him), and he told me I received a warning at one point while on my account. I still have an honor ribbon and I don't think I've done anything absolutely terrible, but I'm worried. Lyte, how is my standing?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1012b086287537622159d

Junior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I tend to see slightly worse behavior during holidays (like the Winter break), and weekends tend to be worse than weekdays.
A few months ago, i asked you in an email whether the behavior in the holidays is worse than normal. Your answer was that the amount of toxic behavior grows (due to the higher amounts of games played), but the percentage is quite the same.
Did this actually change or didn't you know this in the past?
If there IS a higher percentage of toxic games during holidays... do you have a theory why?



PS: sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

01-16-2013
8 of 10 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkChibiman View Post
I disagree that the report function creates toxicity - however, I do feel that allowing people to report unskilled players feeds the sense of "it is wrong to be unskilled". It's perfectly okay to be unskilled or have a bad day;

Lyte mentions that it is only aggregated by matchmaking, but I bet not many players know that - so they see "Report for Unskilled Player" as feeding the abusive player's notion of "Oh, its wrong and bad to be unskilled, so I should report them for doing something wrong".

People do not should in all-chat "REPORT FOR UNSKILLED" because they want the player to be properly match-made - they want to be abusive and they want the player Punished somehow.
I tend to agree, having the "Unskilled Player" report option does create a perception that being unskilled might be bad or undesirable in League. It's something we want to address and I've talked before about revamping some of the Report categories to make more sense with less overlap.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Auspexa

Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I tend to agree, having the "Unskilled Player" report option does create a perception that being unskilled might be bad or undesirable in League. It's something we want to address and I've talked before about revamping some of the Report categories to make more sense with less overlap.
While you're at it, can you also make report explanation obligatory for all reports? That would help Tribunal a lot. I mean, someone got reported for intentional feeding and his score is 2-10-2 but his items are fine. How am I supposed to know if it was intentional? If 2-3 players give same explanation though, it could be easier to decide.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

theshim

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I tend to agree, having the "Unskilled Player" report option does create a perception that being unskilled might be bad or undesirable in League. It's something we want to address and I've talked before about revamping some of the Report categories to make more sense with less overlap.
Oh, boy. Now don't get me wrong, I understand and appreciate nearly all of the decisions made around the Tribunal and report systems, but...Lyte, you mentioned that you wanted to revamp the reports months and months ago. I really have to wonder - how hard can this one be?

If I had to guess I'd say the difficulty lies not in simply making the changes to the available options, but
A: in the muddying effect they would have on the clarity of information extracted from reports, and
B: communicating to the playerbase the nature - and importance - of said changes.

A seems to be something that would take some careful time to address if you want to streamline and clarify the different categories. That said, is it worth keeping Unskilled Player around? That alone triggers a whole bunch of people believing it's perfectly okay to scream "omg report noob X", who if asked about it will say "then why is there an unskilled report?" And do you really lose out if those reports aren't there? Is the Unskilled Player report still sufficiently notable to the matchmaking system that it's worth the confusion?

As for B...honestly it kind of feels like B should be a bit more of a priority anyway, as it's a common complaint that there's too much false reporting flying around. Even allowing for the fact (as you've previously stated) that many people who call for reports rarely actually send them in, and even allowing for report weight being diminished, there's still the overwhelming feeling among the playerbase that the report function is heavily abused, and I feel it's the sort of thing that could use some clarification.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fudouri

Senior Member

01-16-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I tend to agree, having the "Unskilled Player" report option does create a perception that being unskilled might be bad or undesirable in League. It's something we want to address and I've talked before about revamping some of the Report categories to make more sense with less overlap.
Hm...doesn't this seem like a pro instead of a con?

I believe the player behavior is "I don't like this person, I want to report them". If you removed it as an option and provided an alternative way to report unskilled, my fear/suspicion would be that people will still report but instead report it as intentionally feeding.

I actually like the way it is right now because the action isn't detrimental to the person reported, but gives the reporter a "win".