Should the maximum camera zoom out be increased?

Yes! (Any additional reasoning?) 875 88.03%
No... (Why not?) 119 11.97%
Voters: 994. You may not vote on this poll

Camera zoom out is insufficient. Let me zoom out more? Reasoning included.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katsuo Nuruodo

01-11-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
That's not true, you both have the same view of the world. *Unless you play locked camera*. In that case blue sees more of the interesting part of the world than purple during laning phase (i.e. the region of lane in front of you). Unfortunately the game is not optimized for locked camera.
Wait, so isn't there a simple solution for this?

I mean, you agree that this is an issue for people with locked cameras, but you don't want the solution to effect people who don't use locked camera.

So; offset the camera lock? Make the purple camera lock slightly farther ahead. Or, for that matter, let people adjust where their camera locks. They can lock it wherever they'd like to.

Problem solved, and it won't impact anyone who doesn't use locked camera.

One other thing though, you mentioned previously that the game is not optimized for locked camera play. So, why is locked camera the default mode? If you don't intend for people to play in locked camera mode, it shouldn't be default.

(note, if I'm wrong about locked being default, nvm. I haven't used locked camera since I first started playing, but I think I remember it being default)

MrJatt

01-11-2013

Quote:
That's not true, you both have the same view of the world. *Unless you play locked camera*. In that case blue sees more of the interesting part of the world than purple during laning phase (i.e. the region of lane in front of you). Unfortunately the game is not optimized for locked camera.

And that is what needs to be done, if there exists a population of players who are accustomed to locked camera, then there must be a option to accommodate their play style.

It comes of as somewhat condescending even though it might not be the intent, that I must play by one camera angle which developer locked in on, i.e. the developer decide my playing style. I would like to play the game in a way I feel comfortable.

Remikai

01-12-2013

"you should really try to catch the attention of Zileas"

LOL WHAT? We are a bunch of shmoes on some forums. How about going and knocking on his office door to tell him to look at this thread?

CaterpillarCake

Recruiter

01-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remikai View Post
"you should really try to catch the attention of Zileas"

LOL WHAT? We are a bunch of shmoes on some forums. How about going and knocking on his office door to tell him to look at this thread?
yeah how do you expect someone to try to get his attention. spam threads titled "HEY ZILEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ?

since apparently hes the one with any the knowledge on this subject you would think that this thread right here would be a great way of getting his attention.

boourns

UI Designer

01-16-2013
15 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsuo Nuruodo View Post
Wait, so isn't there a simple solution for this?

I mean, you agree that this is an issue for people with locked cameras, but you don't want the solution to effect people who don't use locked camera.

So; offset the camera lock? Make the purple camera lock slightly farther ahead. Or, for that matter, let people adjust where their camera locks. They can lock it wherever they'd like to.

Problem solved, and it won't impact anyone who doesn't use locked camera.

One other thing though, you mentioned previously that the game is not optimized for locked camera play. So, why is locked camera the default mode? If you don't intend for people to play in locked camera mode, it shouldn't be default.

(note, if I'm wrong about locked being default, nvm. I haven't used locked camera since I first started playing, but I think I remember it being default)
It's not the default, but we do make it so in the tutorial. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I think it was a mistake for us to do so.

boourns

UI Designer

01-16-2013
16 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaterpillarCake View Post
yeah how do you expect someone to try to get his attention. spam threads titled "HEY ZILEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" ?

since apparently hes the one with any the knowledge on this subject you would think that this thread right here would be a great way of getting his attention.

Actually yes! Zileas trolls the forums with some regularity. I've already talked about this with him in the past, it's not really productive for me to keep bugging him.

It's not that he's the only one with knowledge of this subject, but any change to the zoom level would be scrutinized closely by him so he is the one you need to convince to make changes.

boourns

UI Designer

01-16-2013
17 of 18 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJatt View Post
And that is what needs to be done, if there exists a population of players who are accustomed to locked camera, then there must be a option to accommodate their play style.

It comes of as somewhat condescending even though it might not be the intent, that I must play by one camera angle which developer locked in on, i.e. the developer decide my playing style. I would like to play the game in a way I feel comfortable.
Sorry you feel that way, but we do concentrate our efforts on improving the experience of *all* our players. We have limited time and resources to do things and we try to focus in features that have the most impact.

Locked camera *is* the option to accommodate players who don't want to manage a free camera. You are free to use it or not use it, but we make free camera the default because we think it is the best play experience. While I agree locked camera is not as good as it could be, I would say there are many features we have that can be improved. Locked camera just has not come up as something we want to improve in the immediate future.

sornvru

01-16-2013

Quote:
However, I will take a non-game-designer stab at this and say that we may view it as a positive that you can't see everything you want to and that *choosing* what to look at is a critical gameplay decision and we restrict zoom level to allow this gameplay.
Wouldn't this be considered an Anti-Pattern according to Zileas' design logic about not adding complexity through arbitrary difficulty? I don't really have a stance on this issue but this seems more like arbitrary difficulty than a critical gameplay decision.

Yolo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this or not, but maybe there should be an option to flip the HUD vertically? That is, have the spells and minimap up top and the KDR/clock box on the bottom? I think it would definitely help with aiming when you're on Purple team.

Arcolyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-16-2013

^ not a bad idea

Why can't there be any of these options?

- Lock the camera in a position relative to the champ, so they always stay in one place on the screen?
- Have a constant champion outline when in unlocked camera mode.

Both would help significantly, I don't think they would be hard to implement, but I do not have any real knowledge on that subject.

Also, as far as the zoom out more thing. Why do we get free zoom on dominion? If anything I would imagine that dominion is a map where choosing to look at something should be a critical choice.